Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Welcome to our hotel--what level of service would you like?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2006, 6:55 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Several of my own making in which I was recently fast-tracked to super-duper-über-elite status

When we checked into the HGI in Folsom, CA on Christmas Eve, the front desk asked us if we wanted full housekeeping service, limited service, or no service.

Hmm, let me think...and BTW would you like me to pay my full bill, a portion of my bill, or none of my bill?

Besides this somewhat bizarre welcome, the stay was quite nice. They've renovated the hotel with new designs/color schemes and the new HGI beds. Much better than the tired and outdated HGI look.
Old Dec 29, 2006, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
That question usually applies to a continuous stay of a week or more. However, I would expect the rate to be adjusted accordingly.
Old Dec 29, 2006, 10:00 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, NW SE, WN, Hertz 5*
I have only stayed at a HGI once, and did not have that asked of me. I have never had that asked of me unless housekeeping was at my door and only asking about the day.
Old Dec 29, 2006, 10:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: UNITED 2K HILTON DIAMOND
I like my privacy, usually have to beat the maids off with a broom after 2 days
Old Dec 29, 2006, 10:35 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Platinum
Sounds like a legitimate question for someone staying into Christmas Day. The people who gave up time with their families, in particular the room cleaners, so travelers had a decent place to stay, would surely like to know the extent of their obligations a little ahead of time. If some guests only required towels, or even no service, then that may have permitted someone some extra time with her children.

Of course, there are those that then have the most ridiculous of comments:

Hmm, let me think...and BTW would you like me to pay my full bill, a portion of my bill, or none of my bill?

Must everything be adversarial?
Old Dec 29, 2006, 10:41 pm

Programs: UA GS, Avis CHM, Marriott & SPG & PC Plat., Hyatt & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by stanj
Yeah, a stupid comment. Didn't you know that housekeeping service isn't included in the room rate. You're supposed to pay their salaries by leaving approx. $2 per person and day in the room...
Old Dec 30, 2006, 6:10 am
In Memoriam

Perhaps it was due to the timing, the OP checked in on xmas eve. Maybe the hotel was trying to be considerate of his/her xmas day?
Old Dec 30, 2006, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by stanj
When we checked into the HGI in Folsom, CA on Christmas Eve, the front desk asked us if we wanted full housekeeping service, limited service, or no service.
I would chose limited service. I am not into having the maid in my room everyday. This way I would not have to remember to put out the do not disturb sign.
Old Dec 30, 2006, 6:38 am

Wow, tough crowd. For what it's worth, I'm with the OP. I would be equally baffled by that question, which I too consider bizarre. The average person checking in to a hotel assumes that they will receive full housekeeping service, and hotels should assume that they will be expected to provide full service unless a guest specifically requests otherwise. It's weird for the hotel to proactively ask people if they don't want full service (unless, like Points Scrounger mentioned, it's on an extended stay).

As for "limited service," I don't even know what that is. They only service what needs to be serviced anyway. It's not like they replace/change things that obviously haven't been touched.
Old Dec 30, 2006, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by tennster
The people who gave up time with their families, in particular the room cleaners...
Gave up time? You make it sound as though they're doing volunteer work...
Old Dec 30, 2006, 7:01 am

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG
Christmas Day

A quick question - was you business open or closed on Christmas? Did any fellow employees have to work? Hmm...I am in the restauarant business and we learned long ago to be closed on December 25 (and early on the 24th) or face an employee revolt as everyone wants off and those forced to work give less than their best effort. In the hotel industry you do not have the option of closing on any given day no matter what the occassion, and in that context I say it was a valid question.
Old Dec 30, 2006, 7:41 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA, B6, BA (airline status-free leisure traveler), Hilton Diamond
I think that in this scenario the problem is with WHO initiated the service request conversation. If the guest CHOOSES to show compassion on the housekeeping staff by volunteering to not have room service then that is fine. For the front desk staff to solicit limiting what is a normal essential service is not.
Old Dec 30, 2006, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by dapastaguy
A quick question - was you business open or closed on Christmas? Did any fellow employees have to work?
Open; Yes.

Originally Posted by dapastaguy
Hmm...I am in the restauarant business and we learned long ago to be closed on December 25 (and early on the 24th) or face an employee revolt as everyone wants off and those forced to work give less than their best effort. In the hotel industry you do not have the option of closing on any given day no matter what the occassion, and in that context I say it was a valid question.
If you choose to apply for a job at a business you know is open on holidays and then choose to give less than your best effort because you've been scheduled to work on a holiday, then you are immature, IMO.
Old Dec 30, 2006, 10:02 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Several of my own making in which I was recently fast-tracked to super-duper-über-elite status
Originally Posted by senoreit
If you choose to apply for a job at a business you know is open on holidays and then choose to give less than your best effort because you've been scheduled to work on a holiday, then you are immature, IMO.
Well, at least someone sees my point.

It really didn't bother me all that much, it just caught me off guard and was a bit surprising. If they had informed me of this when I made the booking and agreed to pay the room rate, then I wouldn't give it a second thought.

Yes, I understand it was over a holiday and that was made clear when they asked the question. However, having worked in the service industry previously, I've worked over many a holiday when I would have preferred to be at home, sometimes it goes with the territory.

Just to set the record straight, I chose limited service (change of towels and trash emptied only), I left a nice tip, AND I paid my bill in full.

Of course, there are those that then have the most ridiculous of comments:

Give me a break... Merely an attempt at humor (admittedly, somewhat lame), and NO I did not actually say that to the receptionist.

Must everything be adversarial?
Right back at you.
Old Jan 7, 2007, 6:38 am

Programs: HH LifeTime Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt, AA, Delta
Originally Posted by loomis
I think that in this scenario the problem is with WHO initiated the service request conversation. If the guest CHOOSES to show compassion on the housekeeping staff by volunteering to not have room service then that is fine. For the front desk staff to solicit limiting what is a normal essential service is not.
Had a similar experience on the eve of Thanksgiving. With regards to a guest and the idea of "CHOOSES to show compassion" is that we guests occasionally are forgetful. In my case, the hotel left a letter in the room offering me a choice of service levels. I was actually grateful that the hotel reminded me of such a notion. My "compassion" capability needed the nudge. I just plumb forgot to think of the holiday's impact on others and was glad it wouldn't be necessary for me to leave word with the front desk the next morning. I wish I could remember the wording on the notice, it was particularly appropriate...but its January...and I plumb forgot already.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.