Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Doubletree by Hilton Brighton Metropole (was Hilton Brighton Metropole) {GBR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Doubletree by Hilton Brighton Metropole (was Hilton Brighton Metropole) {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2011, 7:01 am

Programs: AF Frequence Plus Rouge pour toujours, BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, BW Rewards Diamond
Stayed in that one a couple of times last year, breakfast has gone downhill (waffle machine gone, quality of cold cuts/sausages gone down, no more crispy bacon).

Apart from that still the same then in 2010 both in good (large Deluxe Plus rooms if you have status) and the bad (some ridiculous rooms, especially at the last floor and dubious CS).

UTA
Old Jul 1, 2011, 8:44 am

cheers! Mr feeona123 is diamond so hopefully should get an upgrade

Thinking of a couple of nights there and then 1 at Avisford Park in August

^
Old Jul 2, 2011, 9:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, BMI Gold, IC Amb and Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by feeona123
Any recent updates?

Not looking good on TA
Not suprised it's not looking good. I'm a diamond member and not a DYKWIA type, but first upgrade was a very old room at the back of the hotel facing a wall with a queen sizd bed, so politely asked for sea view if possible as it was a special weekend for us. Told nothing available. Checked website and lots there, manager made a really poor excuse that these were not really availaible, just showed on the system. So I said if I booked one would he give it to me? "Ummm yes sir, but we would have to move someone else" - WHAT!!!

Anyway eventusally got a sea view room - in the attic - hardly room to swing a cat. Reception staff unfriendy and breakfast service appalling! Moved out after one night and complained - eventually recieved a points refund after a promised voucher never turned up. Moved to the Hilton Arundel hotel for 2 more nights, fantastic place, upgraded to a suite and fantastic service throughout!

Be warned - Brighton Metropole is pretty poor.
Old Jul 2, 2011, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Haven't been there, but it always seems to sit very high in the price front.
Old Jul 2, 2011, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by feeona123
Any recent updates?

Not looking good on TA
I staid there early June as every year on a January Sale rate for a suite room and certainly cannot complain. Room was nice and well kept, view was very good, breakfast the usual UK Hilton breakfast.
Old Jul 3, 2011, 2:12 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; BA GGL; Virgin Gold; United Silver; Hilton Dia; IHG Spire; Marriott Tit; Hertz PC
IME the hotel is a lottery for rooms and service - Brighton has a large gap in the market for a good standard large hotel for both business and leisure travellers
Old Jul 3, 2011, 2:04 pm

Oh well I have just booked 3 nights at the start of August.

Its Mr Feeona123's 30th birthday so I have told them that and politely asked for an upgrade

Hopefully it will be a half decent stay - got it for £99 a night so not much more than a b&b would charge really

Tagging on the 4th night at Avisford Park which looks quite nice.

Will let you know how we get on.

Fiona

Old Jul 3, 2011, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mookie10
IME the hotel is a lottery for rooms and service - Brighton has a large gap in the market for a good standard large hotel for both business and leisure travellers
It is not a "lottery" for rooms, they offer a lot of room types. If you book the cheapest room, do not expect a sea view suite....
Old Jul 4, 2011, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
It is not a "lottery" for rooms, they offer a lot of room types. If you book the cheapest room, do not expect a sea view suite....
To be fair though about half of the total rooms at this property are sea view so it isn't asking a huge amount to get one of those as an upgrade. I had a similar fight for an upgrade (from the multi-storey car park view room I was initially given as a Diamond). Whilst no-one reasonable would expect the presidential suite as an from lowest room category they would expect more than that.

I would recommend Hotel du Vin (or surprisingly because the chain is mostly awful) The Thistle. Both are in a better location than the Hilton and are several notches up the food chain.
Old Jul 4, 2011, 1:27 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; BA GGL; Virgin Gold; United Silver; Hilton Dia; IHG Spire; Marriott Tit; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
To be fair though about half of the total rooms at this property are sea view so it isn't asking a huge amount to get one of those as an upgrade. I had a similar fight for an upgrade (from the multi-storey car park view room I was initially given as a Diamond). Whilst no-one reasonable would expect the presidential suite as an from lowest room category they would expect more than that.

I would recommend Hotel du Vin (or surprisingly because the chain is mostly awful) The Thistle. Both are in a better location than the Hilton and are several notches up the food chain.
Agreed - my data point includes the experience of many work colleagues over the years when they visit Sussex and stay at the Hilton. They now vote with their feet and prefer the Du Vin (often not available as a small number of rooms), the basic standard comforts of the Thistle or would stay out of town at one of the country hotels and commute daily.
Old Jul 4, 2011, 3:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mookie10
Hotel Seattle (yes- in Brighton) is not too bad for either meetings or accomodations if you don't mind staying down by the marina. I have stayed here a few times and have no complaints- very nice views as well and good sized meeting rooms. F&B is better than most in Brighton. Rooms are a touch small but nothing onerous. Internet is free.
Old Jul 4, 2011, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles

To be fair, the property is shaped like an "HH" with a courtyard in between the two "Hs". So Carpark is not the worst thing you can get, courtyard is even worse. Frist or second floor seaview is horrible because you have the noise of the street literally in your room. I always book "seaview", ask for high floor and never got disappointed. I use this property to get my Hilton stays together to maintain Diamond, so (unfortunately) other than Hilton (or IHG or SPG properties) are a rare choice for me.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 5:38 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3MM, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Agreed - any recent updates? Am attending a conference next month and am torn between this property and the Grand?
Old Aug 15, 2011, 6:20 am

Programs: AF Frequence Plus Rouge pour toujours, BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, BW Rewards Diamond
Your pocket or the company's? If the company's get the Hilton and work towards requal. If not doing the Hilton program and/or the Grand Hotel is way cheaper, don't even bother.

UTA
Old Aug 15, 2011, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by meducate
Agreed - any recent updates? Am attending a conference next month and am torn between this property and the Grand?
General consensus from work colleagues that visit Brighton is that the Grand is slightly better than the Hilton - as per UTA, price and status considerations should probably drive your decision.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.