Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

“Do a Search”: Using the FlyerTalk Search Function in the Hilton Honors Forum

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Do a Search”: Using the FlyerTalk Search Function in the Hilton Honors Forum

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2005, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
Ahh... yet another blunder on my part...

Mods please lock or delete
Old Feb 26, 2005, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Search is back in action!!

Hi,

Good news!

The seach function is back!

Now I can do searches on what to do at the HWV

Regards

TBS
Old Feb 26, 2005, 3:01 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold
Thanks for the heads up!
Old Mar 12, 2005, 4:09 pm

How Do I Perform A Search?

Thanks.
Old Mar 12, 2005, 4:20 pm

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/annou...ouncementid=71
Old Mar 13, 2005, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Read the annoucement near the top of the page.
Old Dec 9, 2006, 12:47 pm

Programs: HH Gold
Wink Do a Search: Using the FlyerTalk Search Function in the Hilton HHonors Forum

I keep reading lectures to new posters telling them (in a less than gentile tone) to use the search function rather than ask common questions in a new thread.

Depending on how one arrives on the HH pages of FlyerTalk, not every page is going to offer a search function inside of the Hilton Honors forum. Its a mediocre at best search capability and not user-friendly by any definition.

I think the lectures take more time than just ignoring the question which comes across as a rather ungracious response.

Is your time so valuable that you cannot move past the post quickly? I mean really -- how long does it take for you to hit a different key?

I suggest we offer "directions" (which way is the Eiffel Tower?) or move on. Save the lectures.

Last edited by Sunday; Dec 9, 2006 at 2:10 pm Reason: typo
Old Dec 9, 2006, 7:20 pm

First off, complaints about the search should be in the Technical Issues forum.

The search works fine once you get used to it, but it is hard to get to that point. That said, there is a valid argument for encouraging search because as more and more threads are posted on the same topics, the worse and worse the search function will get.

How are you getting to the HH forum and not having an option to search if you are registered (which would be required to post the question)?
Old Dec 9, 2006, 7:46 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
For the last week or two, the search has been significantly improved, even allowing search of titles. But what does this have to do with Hilton, pray tell?
Old Dec 10, 2006, 8:39 am

Programs: HH Gold
It has to do with Hilton because the last three trips I've taken I've tried to use FlyerTalk for info on the properties. I'm a registered user (obviously -- or I wouldn't be able to post) yet for some reason, the page I opened on FlyerTalk had a search function that searched only the entire site. Thus, if one were to enter "Hilton London" you called up every post on the entire site, not just the Honors forum. A fellow user sent me a link which opened a different page, allowing for searches inside the Hilton Honors Forum. Now I see what people mean: it works great. That said, I must stand by my defense of new posters. As someone else said, the search function is difficult to figure out. More posts on the same subject cannot and does not dilute the efficacy of the search function. It just provides more threads per topic.
Old Dec 10, 2006, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by Sunday
I keep reading lectures to new posters telling them (in a less than gentile tone) to use the search function rather than ask common questions in a new thread.

Depending on how one arrives on the HH pages of FlyerTalk, not every page is going to offer a search function inside of the Hilton Honors forum. Its a mediocre at best search capability and not user-friendly by any definition.

I think the lectures take more time than just ignoring the question which comes across as a rather ungracious response.

Is your time so valuable that you cannot move past the post quickly? I mean really -- how long does it take for you to hit a different key?

I suggest we offer "directions" (which way is the Eiffel Tower?) or move on. Save the lectures.
A simple search would have provided you numerous threads on "Search function sucks". Please do a search BEFORE starting a new thread!

lol, just kidding.
Old Dec 10, 2006, 1:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by Sunday
It has to do with Hilton because the last three trips I've taken I've tried to use FlyerTalk for info on the properties. I'm a registered user (obviously -- or I wouldn't be able to post) yet for some reason, the page I opened on FlyerTalk had a search function that searched only the entire site. Thus, if one were to enter "Hilton London" you called up every post on the entire site, not just the Honors forum. A fellow user sent me a link which opened a different page, allowing for searches inside the Hilton Honors Forum. Now I see what people mean: it works great. That said, I must stand by my defense of new posters. As someone else said, the search function is difficult to figure out. More posts on the same subject cannot and does not dilute the efficacy of the search function. It just provides more threads per topic.
There are multiple ways to access the "search" function.

You might need to become friends with the ADVANCED search feature.
Old Dec 10, 2006, 2:52 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Search function usually works great, the problem that I've discussed with FT'ers who don't find the search function helpful is that they are typing in too many words (Waldorf Astoria New York) or a word that will pull up many threads such as Hawaii.

find a KEY word and use it to search.^

--
Old Dec 10, 2006, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
find a KEY word and use it to search.^
Exactly. Best advice for searching. I.E. why search for "Waldorf Astoria New York" when "Astoria" would pull a much narrower result?
Old Dec 20, 2006, 8:26 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Okay...

...We have received several Report Bad Posts pertaining to a thread discussing searching for information in the Hilton forum.

No, they were not ignored.

In a massive yet concerted effort to simplify finding information in the Hilton forum, the following steps were taken:

First, I searched for as many threads as I could find pertaining to searching for information in the Hilton forum and merged them together. The result is this thread. Please use this thread to either find out how to search for information in the Hilton forum, or to give clear instructions including tips and tricks to educate other FlyerTalk members on how to search for information in the Hilton forum.

Second, please look at the sticky threads at the top of the Hilton forum. Eventually, most of them will be consolidated for brevity purposes, but if you are looking for a thread that pertains to a:Also, when using the Search function, please used the Advanced Search function using Titles Only.

In fact, please try that now, using the terms Paris, Waikoloa, New York, London, Rome, and Hawaiian. Use one of these terms for each search.

Notice the results of each search. What do you think about that?

Collectively, greater than 1,000 threads of similar topics have been merged together and we are far from done!

Here are some tips for posting new information in the Hilton forum:
  1. When posting a new thread, please ensure that the words and names used in the title of the topic is spelled correctly. It is far more difficult to search for threads with misspelled words and names.
  2. Try not to use abbreviations, at least in the title of the thread. Searching for unique words and names, such as Waikoloa, is far more productive than searching for HWV. I have become quite experienced on this one.
  3. Please do not post empty information, such as bumps or Do a Search admonitions. One may seem innocuous, but collectively they only create longer threads, especially when threads of a similar topic are merged together in one thread.
If there is additional information to be posted pertaining to using the Search function in the Hilton forum, it will be added here. Please assist us by doing the same.

Thank you!

Canarsie and squeakr
Hilton forum co-moderators

Last edited by Canarsie; Dec 20, 2006 at 8:32 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.