Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Vancouver Airport {CAN}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:36 am

Programs: HH Diamond, TK Elite+ *G, ClubCarlson Gold, PC Platinum, SPG Gold, Accor Platinum, LH MM
I search a Hotel for family vacation and sightseeing in Vancouver. Just find a good point&money rate for this property. Also that there should be a good conection to downtown with a train....

PRO:
- good price (59$ +17.5kHH)
- Suites (with child..... perfect, normaly i take a ES, looks the same in the pictures)

Contra:
- should be 20 min away with train from downtown...

Is this property a good choice?
Old Jan 21, 2013, 2:41 am

Programs: HH Diamond, VS Au, BA Mauve
I've always been treated incredibly well at this Hilton, being upgraded to suites on both times. Alas, the BC weather has put paid to being able to taking full advantage of the views offered from the hotel.

The shuttle does have a bit of a mazy route, but once it's left the sheraton next door it's fine.

However, it is handy for the skytrain into vancouver

I stayed here back in october and (this goes to show how often I used to travel) I was greeted with a "welcome back." I enquired as to whether I'd stayed before and the answer was twice!

This is a good hotel and, at the time of booking, there wasn't any difference in price between this and the Hampton down the road...
Old Jan 21, 2013, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by SerocoOl
I search a Hotel for family vacation and sightseeing in Vancouver. Just find a good point&money rate for this property. Also that there should be a good conection to downtown with a train....

PRO:
- good price (59$ +17.5kHH)
- Suites (with child..... perfect, normaly i take a ES, looks the same in the pictures)

Contra:
- should be 20 min away with train from downtown...

Is this property a good choice?
Staying downtown would probably add to a better overall experience when visiting Vancouver; however, if price is most important, the Hilton in Richmond is pretty good. i have only stayed on a couple one-night stays for business, but the rooms were clean, updated, and staff was friendly. I did not receive a suite on either stay, so I can't comment there.

The hotel is in walking distance (maybe 10 minutes or so) to the train, and there are daily passes available if you want to head back and forth a couple of times during the day. Starbucks, Tim Hortons, drug stores, the local mall, and a few well-reviewed ethnic restaurants are all within walking distance. So there's stuff to do if you don't want to go back into Vancouver for a night.

If it's stay here or don't visit Vancouver, I'd say stay here--Vancouver is great.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 3:47 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K , HH DIAMOND, MARRIOTT PLATINUM
Looking to Stay here in march as quick 1 night layover, can anyone provide an update as the last post is almost 2 years old.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 11:40 pm

Programs: QF P1 + LTG VA Plat, AA nothing, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Klove007
Looking to Stay here in march as quick 1 night layover, can anyone provide an update as the last post is almost 2 years old.
Not that recent but I stayed here for a 2 x 1 night layovers Jan 14. It was fine, short shuttle ride from the Airport. If you have a late arrival (we came in for first stay from JFK on CX at 0200) call them and they will come pick you up. The hotel is clean, comfortable with somewhat dated decor. As a Diamond received buffet breakfast in the lounge. The surrounding area is a bit dismal so no way I'd stay here for anything other than a layover.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 3:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Inbound flight arrives at 11pm, seems like a bargain for 30k points (v. $300!!) for the junior suite - can use the extra space with the kids. Just want something close to airport - Hampton n/a on points and Marriott is absurd Cat7. I will update review after we stay.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 4:50 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Inbound flight arrives at 11pm, seems like a bargain for 30k points (v. $300!!) for the junior suite - can use the extra space with the kids. Just want something close to airport - Hampton n/a on points and Marriott is absurd Cat7. I will update review after we stay.
Thanks, looks like I'm staying there in a few weeks, with early flight out.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 2:02 pm

Programs: HH D
Just had a five night reward stay at this Richmond hotel, using 4x 30000 points. Rack rates during my stay went from 200-300 US$, depending on day of week, so let's say I saved $1200 by investing 120000 points, not bad I guess. The eStandby offer after completing the reservation, held a USD $9 offer for a higher floor room. I accepted it. Full breakfast was included as a diamond (for golds probably also).

Was upgraded to a 1-bedroom King corner suite with a microwave and fridge. Nice partial panoramic views, wrecked somewhat because the balcony door didn't have a window. A 1-Bedroom by itself would have cost around 120000 points PER NIGHT if booked as a premium room. Some contstruction is going on at the opposite side of the street - no nuisance.

The area around the hotel isn't too interesting. An eclectic mix of car dealership and repair shops, very nice looking appartment buildings and immigrant style south-east Asian shops. More regular department store shopping is also available near the terminus of the Canada Line, a 10 minute walk.

Vancouver downtown (and YVR airport) can be reached via Skytrain's Canada Line. it's a 5-10 minute walk to the station for a 20 minutes ride, trains run very often. An all-day public transit pass is about $8 USD, credit cards are accepted. On weekends they only charge 2.75 CAD per single fair, so this might be cheaper. However, it looks like Vancouver, like most international cities will be switching to a NFC-card like travelcard. So this will most likely cost another $5 or more. Downtown Hilton hotels are around $100 per night extra or require twice the amount of points. So staying here in Richmond still makes sense.

Parking at the hotel is around 16 USD per night, street parking is not a real option: the few spaces are zoned for permit holders only.

Last edited by Sisosig; Jun 16, 2015 at 1:06 am
Old Jul 9, 2017, 9:43 am

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors
I made a points booking here for a long weekend next weekend. YVR hotel rates are...out of this world. 40k points/nt for a C$505 junior suite is a no brainer and much, much better than redemptions south of the border.

Any recentish reviews?

Last edited by Amelorn; Jul 9, 2017 at 11:11 am
Old Jul 9, 2017, 5:05 pm

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by Amelorn
I made a points booking here for a long weekend next weekend. YVR hotel rates are...out of this world. 40k points/nt for a C$505 junior suite is a no brainer and much, much better than redemptions south of the border.

Any recentish reviews?
I stay here every couple of months (last stay probably in May) when I have a layover with an early morning flight and am treated well as a Diamond. Often get upgraded to a junior suite at least. Rooms are good sized. No lounge but breakfast coupon is provided. I usually have an 0600 flight to YKA when I'm here so haven't actually been able to try it. Had dinner in the restaurant one time and was underwhelmed. Don't think it was awful but no real memories of it so I assume it was just mediocre.

There's an airport shuttle shared with the Marriott and Sheraton but Hilton is first stop in both directions which is nice (in reality they're all co-located and easily walked between but you're assured of a seat on the way to YVR and first off on the way back).

Not really sure of anything to do in the surrounding area as I'm usually only there for a couple of hours but Skytrain is close so you should have easy access to downtown.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 5:09 pm

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors
Originally Posted by IggySD
I stay here every couple of months (last stay probably in May) when I have a layover with an early morning flight and am treated well as a Diamond. Often get upgraded to a junior suite at least. Rooms are good sized. No lounge but breakfast coupon is provided. I usually have an 0600 flight to YKA when I'm here so haven't actually been able to try it. Had dinner in the restaurant one time and was underwhelmed. Don't think it was awful but no real memories of it so I assume it was just mediocre.

There's an airport shuttle shared with the Marriott and Sheraton but Hilton is first stop in both directions which is nice (in reality they're all co-located and easily walked between but you're assured of a seat on the way to YVR and first off on the way back).

Not really sure of anything to do in the surrounding area as I'm usually only there for a couple of hours but Skytrain is close so you should have easy access to downtown.
I'll be driving up and have been to YVR before, so stuff to do/see/eat isn't a problem.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Sisosig
Just had a five night reward stay at this Richmond hotel, using 4x 30000 points. Rack rates during my stay went from 200-300 US$, depending on day of week, so let's say I saved $1200 by investing 120000 points, not bad I guess. The eStandby offer after completing the reservation, held a USD $9 offer for a higher floor room. I accepted it. Full breakfast was included as a diamond (for golds probably also).

Was upgraded to a 1-bedroom King corner suite with a microwave and fridge. Nice partial panoramic views, wrecked somewhat because the balcony door didn't have a window. A 1-Bedroom by itself would have cost around 120000 points PER NIGHT if booked as a premium room. Some contstruction is going on at the opposite side of the street - no nuisance.

The area around the hotel isn't too interesting. An eclectic mix of car dealership and repair shops, very nice looking appartment buildings and immigrant style south-east Asian shops. More regular department store shopping is also available near the terminus of the Canada Line, a 10 minute walk.

Vancouver downtown (and YVR airport) can be reached via Skytrain's Canada Line. it's a 5-10 minute walk to the station for a 20 minutes ride, trains run very often. An all-day public transit pass is about $8 USD, credit cards are accepted. On weekends they only charge 2.75 CAD per single fair, so this might be cheaper. However, it looks like Vancouver, like most international cities will be switching to a NFC-card like travelcard. So this will most likely cost another $5 or more. Downtown Hilton hotels are around $100 per night extra or require twice the amount of points. So staying here in Richmond still makes sense.

Parking at the hotel is around 16 USD per night, street parking is not a real option: the few spaces are zoned for permit holders only.
I stayed at this hotel fairly recently and I'm going to update this thread. Parking was free for me at the time due to COVID, which was nice. Yes, there is a NFC card similar to the Oyster Card in London. It's called a Compass Card. However, you can use your credit card and tap to pay so it's not necessary to buy the Compass Card.

I was upgraded to a suite at check-in. This hotel is starting to show its age. The view from the balcony was pretty good on a sunny day. Hopefully post-COVID, this hotel will renovate.
Sisosig likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.