Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Oregon, USA {US-OR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Oregon, USA {US-OR}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2002, 1:04 pm

Just stayed at PDX HGI Aug. 30th and again Sept. 1st. The first stay was in a very small, noisy room and I almost called to cancel the second stay but our second stay was in a mini-suite with a hide-a bed in the living area. It was quiet and quite nice. I am a Diamond and we received breakfast coupons each time. I don't think we have stayed at that particular Doubletree but we have stayed at the Hampton Inn which is very close to the airport and had adequate, fairly quiet rooms. The best of the Hilton bunch in that area is the Embassy Suites but of course, it is also more money.
Old Sep 10, 2002, 2:51 pm

Programs: Craftsman Tool Club - Silver Socket
Doubletree Columbia River is an old Red Lion. The lobby and restaurant are pleasant enough but the sleeping rooms are in need of a refurbishing. It can be noisy since I-5 Bridge is adjacent. Ask for a room away from the bridge. Several wings means exercise getting to and from the lobby. They are quick to provide free breakfasts for a Diamond but I have enjoyed little in the way of room upgrades. Enjoy your stay in Portland, my favorite city!
Old Sep 10, 2002, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fly UA MM 1K, Sleep Hyatt & IHG, Hertzer. 2022 Flyertalk Fantasy Football Champion
It's really a mixed bag with these two properties:

HGI-PDX: Fairly new, nice rooms, near airport, very quiet.

Doubletree: Nice view, fairly large lobby area, rooms can be big, but they are a little old. Staff is nice and attentive to Hilton VIP's.
Old Sep 10, 2002, 9:10 pm

Another option is the DT Jantzen Beach. Cost should be the same...or close.

I'm about to book 3 nights there in October. The DT was $10 cheaper than HGI on a AAA rate.

[This message has been edited by shadow (edited 09-10-2002).]
Old Sep 14, 2002, 4:23 pm

I think it is unanymous that staying at a Portland area Double Tree is not a good bet. There are 3 or four and I can say that none of them look too nice. There are at least 3 Embassies in Portland and ALL are nice. One in Beaverton (suburb in the SW part of town), one downtown (renovated 4 years or so ago), and a new one at the airport. You can't go wrong with any of the Embassies unless price is an issue. I can't speak for the new Hilton Towers. That is too new for me. I do know that the Hilton was fine. Not as nice as the Embassies, but fine. And, the Hampton at the airport is fine too. Very nice as far as Hamptons go.

Enjoy Portland. A very nice and CLEAN city!
Old Sep 14, 2002, 9:05 pm

Programs: BW Diamond, Choice Plat, National Exec Elite
One other consideration.... Transportation. Staying at PDX eliminates the need to rent a car (if you didn't need one anyway). Staying at Jantzen Beach makes it a necessity.

You might want to take the MAX from the airport to either Lloyd Center DT to a downtown Hilton, rather than stay out at Jantzen Beach.
Old Sep 15, 2002, 9:42 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Do you know if any of the PDX hilton properties let you do the park and fly option. We're staying next Friday night and flying back up to Seattle and returning a few days later for our car.

It would be great to find a sleep-stay hhonors accruing hotel .

lala
Old Sep 15, 2002, 12:12 pm

Programs: NW Plat (now they call it DL Diamond) 1MM, soon to be DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Dusit Gold
LaLaLa: I have park and flyed from the Hampton Inn PDX. Seemed that the last time we did it, it cost $10 per week, so the total stay including parking just about equalled parking only. You park in the unpaved area next to Hampton.

Just to chime in on the discussion re: where to stay. If you want to eat at decent restaurants, downtown or Lloyd center are probably best. This leaves one with a Doubletree at Lloyd Center (yes it is an old Red Lion, but the public areas, at least, have been renovated in the last decade. The new Hilton Towers is the newest facility downtown. Doubletree is out of the way and fairly inconvenient though technically still in downtown. Embassy Suites is newer and covered by various threads.

Airport has an ES, the Hampton (next to the Sheraton) and the HGI.

The three or four DoubleTrees on the Columbia at Jantzen Beach and across the River in Vancouver are all old Red Lions. At least one has a good restaurant. You definitely need a car for these and possibly a car for the airport locations unless you are a mickey D fan.
Old Sep 15, 2002, 12:47 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by honu:
RDY3238, where can you park off property? Is the parking available at night? We might be arriving quite late, any suggestions?</font>
There is on street parking nearby. Don't drive into the Hotel parking lot to drop bags. There is a manned barrier - although late at night, its probably automatic and you will trigger a charge as you pass through. The front desk adds the $12 charge to your bill unless you tell them you parked elsewhere.

The PDX Hampton Inn is a dump IMO
Hope that helps.

[This message has been edited by RDY3238 (edited 09-15-2002).]
Old Sep 21, 2002, 8:16 am

I stayed at the Hilton Portland over Labor Day and was very pleased with my stay (a Hotwire stay for $57/night). The concierges were extremely helpful and the hotel location was great. Even though we were on a Hotwire stay, we received 2 breakfast coupons good for continental breakfast or $8 credit. The belgian waffle with mixed berries is incredible.

-Sabrina
Old Sep 21, 2002, 8:06 pm

Looking forward to the towers, but haven't stayed there yet; rarely frequent ES and Hamptons. Having stayed at each of the following Hilton family of hotels in the Portland area, I would rank them in the following order: Hilton Portland, HGI PDX (for early am flights), Homewood Beaverton (for late am flights), HGI Beaverton (do), and the DTs are just rank (Jensen Beach (2) side by side, and the downtown DT should have been sold to red lion or west coast--it doesn't live up to the Hilton name).
Old Sep 22, 2002, 2:47 pm

Stayed at the Hilton last night, had booked a $100 rate on the website, got upgraded to the 20th (top) floor of the new tower.

The room was good but a little cramped by Hilton standards, bed was comfy and I liked the leather recliner and the office area.

They had run out of breakfast vouchers so just told me to tell the server at breakfast that I was hhonors gold to get the $16 off the bill (2 people @ $8), breakfast was just ok, eggs benedict weren't very nice. Had appetizers in the bar on top of the old building, smoked salmon was excellent.
Old Oct 21, 2002, 5:06 pm

Portland OR, Which HHonors Hotel?

Hello,

I'm looking for some help with an upcoming weekend trip to Portland to see my sister who is studying there. Which HHonors hotel is the best in terms of being in the middle of the nightlife as well as providing the benefits for golds. Right now I'm considering the Hilton, ES, or Doubletree all downtown. Hopefully someone out there can give me some good advice.
Thanks!!
Old Oct 21, 2002, 5:37 pm

Based on the criteria you established the Hilton-they have an old building and the new one acroos the street. Yhe new one is very nice and has a livley bar and restaurant on the ground floor.
Old Oct 21, 2002, 7:52 pm

Programs: UA 1k 2MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Premier Platinum
I know it is a bit outside of town but if you are using HH points, the Homewood Suites in Beaverton is a nice hotel that is a good value at "Opportunity" level. My wife stayed there a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it.

Doug

[This message has been edited by PDX1K (edited 10-21-2002).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.