Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Evian-Les-Bains {FRA} (France)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Evian-Les-Bains {FRA} (France)

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2018, 5:02 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, BA Gold, IHG Gold, Oman Gold
The Hotel where you do not want an upgrade!

Mixed bag at this one.

Booked standard room. Prior to arrival upgraded to Executive Room with lake view (6th floor top floor). Great.

On arrival given Junior Suite, even better....well not. The advertise them as Lake View. Ours was 1st floor with a small piece of lake visible, rest blocked by trees! We moved rooms though due to very noisy family. Also note these are family suites, so are not peaceful.

Yet again, Hilton ignores your room preference

Lounge is c**p, putting it mildly, afternoon teas was 4 crushes cookies and 2 small cheap donuts cut in half.

Breakfast was good, but chef only decided to setup cooking station well after we arrived

Dinner was good

Rooms okay

Pool and sauna etc was okay

Whole place just feels tacky, just a bit strange

Staff were very nice though

Not bad for the rate given the area.
Old May 2, 2018, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What a shame. I was planning on going back this year. Its clear they need a refurb. They just spent a load on Malta, so I hope the same firm can find some money for Evian as its 12 years old this year.

Afternoon tea is not a brand standard, so if they want to scrap it I'd prefer that than put it out rubbish. How was the evening buffet? Spirits?

Richard Cuello (usual Hilton email format) is still the GM there and the GM for the whole of France so its quite embarrassing that with such a role he has let his home property go to pot. I would feedback your experiences.
Old May 3, 2018, 8:23 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond
I had my nearly annual stay (one night) in late February. Pre-upgraded to a junior suite on top floor. Yes, the lake view is restricted but I do like the internal location. Maybe I was just lucky, since I did not hear any noise from neighbouring rooms at all. And if so, I would have minded a lot.
The EL was closed for renovation and a Surrogate EL set up at the bar. Somewhat confusing since it was not clearly set aside from the General bar area. Nevertheless, ALL bar drinks were on offer, so was champagne. I loved that. Breakfast was good. The whole atmosphere, reflected by staff, is more or less "French", i.e. a bit on the lax side. In my view and experience this belongs to this part of Europe and it is fine for me. The hotel appears to be a Little bit out and renovation might be due. But generally spoken I am a happy guest there.
For the first time ever, we tried the Restaurant (not the Bistro) at the Hotel les Cygnes which is a 15 min walk along the lake-side towards out of Evian. What a great experience!
Old Dec 15, 2018, 5:18 am

Programs: AY Gold (OWS), Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Hilton Gold
Lovely hotel just next to Lac Leman. We got a a pre-upgraded to exec room with spa access and breakfast.
Exec lounge was moved to downstair next to the restaurant where wine and spirits were offered from 6 p.m to 8 pm.
Complimentary breakfast at the restaurant. 10/10!
Old Feb 4, 2019, 9:53 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Hilton Évian =

Hilton Evian-les-Bains

Map| 1 Review | 0% Recommended

Hilton Evian-les-Bains

Qual Paul Leger Evian-les-Bains, FR 74500

Hilton Évian = Subpar Hotel and Disappointing Stay (13 Photos)

Hilton Evian-les-Bains

I had a subpar 3-night stay at Hilton Evian-les-Bains, more so because of a combination of several negatives rather than because of a single major downfall.  In addition, in my experience many hotels with weaknesses also have some obvious strengths to balance things out, but this one does not stand out positively in any significant way which is also unusual.  I will not return and I do not recommend this property.  

Room

I booked a cash rate for the entry level room in low season and all room types were available by the time I checked in.  I was upgraded to an executive room which I understand is the same room as the basic room except that it has better lake views.  I asked if they normally upgrade Diamond members to junior suites and I got a BS answer from the receptionist that I was upgraded to an exec room which was better than the family suite which is only suitable for families.  I agree that the family suite is suitable for families, but I asked about junior suites (which is a different category than family suites) and the lady at check-in indicated that my room was better than the junior suite, making me think that perhaps I had been upgraded to the exec suite rather than the exec room.  It was not the case.  I prefer hotels to be honest about a lack of suite upgrades rather than try to give rubbish excuses.  

The room is ok although nothing special.  The views of the lake from a high floor are nice and the bathroom was redone recently – those are the strong points.  However water pressure in the shower was very weak and the rest of the room is nothing to write home about.  The room is neither old / beat up nor is it new and modern. There are no power plugs near the bedside and you have to unplug the small lamps from under the night table to recharge electronics, and the power outlets are not international style.  There is a small terrace outside the room to enjoy the views.  However you have a wide open view of all your neighbors on the terrace and they are so close to each other that you could almost jump on someone else’s terrace.  In February I did not want to use the terrace anyway so it was non-consequential to me, but guests going in the summer should be aware.  

IMG_2019.jpegIMG_2020.jpegIMG_2021.jpegIMG_2022.jpegIMG_2030.jpegIMG_2031.jpeg

Dining

I was disappointed to find out that the executive lounge remains closed for renovations.  I do not think there was any note about this on Hilton.com when I booked.  Hotel staff told me that the renovations won’t be finished until April 2019.  The make-shift lounge is actually the hotel bar so anybody could just walk in there and mingle with lounge guests so the environment is not particularly private, although the hotel bar was fairly empty so we had a decent quiet time nonetheless.  Alcohol offered was a choice of wine, Prosecco, beer, and some liquor.  Snacks were good quality but not plentiful: quinoa salad, mushroom risotto, chicken, rice salad, desserts, etc., all in small portions.  Overall it was an ok substitute to a lounge but nothing very impressive.  It was not the first time I was in a hotel with a temporary lounge; most other lounge replacements were better than this one.  

IMG_2060.jpegIMG_2058.jpegIMG_2024.jpegIMG_2023.jpeg

Breakfast was only offered in the restaurant due to the lounge closure.  Breakfast was average and offered standard items such as fruits, vegetables, bakeries, yogurt, scrambled eggs, sausages, etc.  Many hotels will have at least one thing that stands out for example they might offer berries in addition to standard hotel fruits, or they might have a breakfast wrap or a special warm dish, etc.  I did not find that it was the case here.  The one good thing I can say is for foreigners who want to enjoy delicious French bakeries for breakfast, then the large chocolate croissants were very good. 

IMG_2025.jpegIMG_2026.jpegIMG_2027.jpeg

One morning I found a hair in the mushrooms.  We were in the restaurant quite late for breakfast on a Sunday morning and there were several guests so I could not be sure if it was from kitchen staff or from a guest so I did not complain, I did not say anything, and I gave the hotel the benefit of the doubt.  However the next morning, once again: hair in the mushrooms! That was on Monday morning around 8am and there was only another couple in the restaurant at that time so I no longer gave the hotel the benefit of the doubt – my conclusion is that kitchen staff is careless.  After that I stopped my breakfast completely.  I informed the server that it happened two mornings in a row and they apologized.  They asked me if I wanted something special and I said no, I did not want anything else from the kitchen.  As an alternative they offered me champagne but I also declined because I was checking out later that morning and I was going to drive.  

Service

Like a lot of the rest of the hotel, service was ok but just average.  Staff was polite, housekeeping was acceptable and the room was clean, but on one day I specifically called at 1pm to request housekeeping as I was leaving the room for about an hour and I wanted it done before my return at 2pm.  When I came back nobody had come to the room at all and I had to call again and leave a second time which was not what I intended. A minor issue only, but a slip-up nonetheless.  

Gym

I like to go to the fitness gym early morning, and sometimes with jet lag I even like to go during the night (local time) so a gym open 24/7 is useful to me.  At Hilton Evian the gym is not inside the hotel’s building – it is inside the spa in the building next to the hotel.  Consequently you cannot access the gym until the spa opens which is at 8am.  This does not meet my needs and it’s the latest opening gym I have ever seen for a Hilton.

Overall

Overall the negatives of this hotel add up : the so-so upgrade and making excuses instead of being truthful, the executive lounge under renovation, the breakfast where I would not want to eat again for sanitary reasons, the inconvenient gym hours, minor service issues, etc.  Because of the collection of negatives and because of the lack of strong points, Hilton Evian is without any doubt in the bottom 10% of hotels of that caliber where I have stayed before.

Hilton Évian = Subpar Hotel and Disappointing Stay

Would you like to write a review on the Hilton Evian-les-Bains?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Feb 5, 2019, 3:30 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Avis Preferred, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Zurich
For the first time ever, we tried the Restaurant (not the Bistro) at the Hotel les Cygnes which is a 15 min walk along the lake-side towards out of Evian. What a great experience!
Did they still have a pair of fat Labradors and signage requesting customers not to feed the aforementioned fat Labradors?
DC9 likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 2:29 pm

Programs: HertzPresCircle, Virgin Atlantic Gold,Hil-Diam, Europcar Elite Vip, Emirates Gold, MarriottTitanium.
Hmm wanted to book this place but bit turned off by all these reviews.. The lack of (hilton) hotels in France/Swiss made me pick this due to the promo but having some doubts now.. Anyone stayed more recent?
Old Sep 12, 2020, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They had a pretty busy summer, everything was open.
Lounge is closed now for the season, it will be in the library next to the bar. Factor that into your considerations.
The hotel is a little tired but it's still special. If you consider its owner is in court for Malta's biggest ever murder/corruption case, I'm not sure the cash will be forthcoming .
Old Sep 13, 2020, 8:19 am

Programs: LH Sen, Hilton Diamond
It is usually a lot cheaper than Geneva or Lausanne, particularly at exhibition time.
I have stayed there a couple of times, most recently in March last year.
I flew early morning into Basel and had a Swiss day rail pass which covers trains, local transport and lake steamers, went halfway found the country including the Glacier Express (for an extra charge), finishing up in Lausanne where where I took the last boat of the day across the lake to Evian.
The hotel is a few minutes walk from the harbour.
By the time I got there there was nothing left in the lounge, but as it was quite late I was happy to retire to my upgraded room with a balcony and fine lake view in the morning.
After an excellent breakfast with a wide choice of items, a receptionist took me in the hotel car to Evian station for the train to Annemasse from where there is a regular bus over the border into Geneva.
I then visited the motor show (probably the last for some time) and returned to BRU in the evening.
EDIflyer and Sisosig like this.

Last edited by tem123; Sep 13, 2020 at 8:28 am
Old Sep 14, 2020, 2:39 pm

Programs: HertzPresCircle, Virgin Atlantic Gold,Hil-Diam, Europcar Elite Vip, Emirates Gold, MarriottTitanium.
Thanks both. Booked for 2 nights this week. Will report back later this week
hugolover likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2020, 4:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
There is actually a really efficient bus service connecting Evian and Thonon with Geneva along the south shore of the lake, run by LIHSA buses (Lignes Interurbains de la Haute Savoie, I think). I used it recently between Thonon and Douvaine and it was only € 3.50. It's somewhat more to cross the border into Switzerland.
Old Sep 19, 2020, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They’ve rebuilt the railway, it’s very easy to get from Evian to Geneva now, straight to Cornavin. And relatively inexpensive on new clean trains.

Ghetto Eau Vives is no more!
EDIflyer likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2020, 11:09 am

Programs: LH Sen, Hilton Diamond
Yes, my earlier post was already out of date - apologies,
The tunnel from Annemasse into Geneva indeed opened in December so that trains from Evian go though central Geneva to the north side of the lake.
Old Sep 19, 2020, 12:59 pm

Checked out and actually extended my stay an extra day because i enjoyed it so much. Parking very easy below the hotel. Booked cheapest room and got upgraded to Executive with lake view (diamond member). VERY enjoyable balcony with nice view. If it's nice weather it's really a nice place to stay! I had breakfast and access to the lounge but didn't use both so can't give any info on that. Lounge is on top floor. Swimming pool and all open and quite busy.
small thing i like: Bikes can be hired and are actually FREE! Any other hotel usually charges ridiculous prices but you can just hire the bike for 2h free everyday (reservation required when busy). Nice little thing!

Rooms clean and nice. Ordered food once from room service which was decent enough (6.5). Nice little thing and besides that Evian is a nice point of where you can go to cities nearby like Geneva. short 1hr ride away.

Like escape4 mentioned tho there were all other (higher) room types available but wasn't upgrade to those either. They were available and not used during my stay (you can see some from your room) but i never ask for suites and just take what i get offered. The fact that all balconies are open to each other could be a bit awkward but it was so quiet during my stay i was usually the only one using it so it was fine.
EDIflyer likes this.

Last edited by itisme; Sep 19, 2020 at 1:04 pm
Old Sep 19, 2020, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interesting the lounge was open as the website says it would close eff 02 SEP. Is this a permanent change?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.