Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Please help with my first Honors reward stay

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2006, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 4MM

I looked at the FAQs and tried a search, but I guess I need somewhat more detailed answers. BTW, if it matters, I'm a Gold.

I'm thinking of burning points for a reward stay in DC this fall at the ES Convention Center. Convention rate is $249 per night, lowest AAA rate is north of $400 per night; reward costs 35k points per night.

I need to be there for 4 nights, so if I did it entirely as a reward it would be 140k points. I only have ~135k points right now, and I don't have any stays scheduled between now and the DC trip. I'm not too familiar with earning points outside of stay credit, since I haven't really been trying to accumulate them.

My questions are:
1. Is this a good use of points (I know it's probably a YMMV situation)?

2. Do I have to pay the room tax on the reward stay?

3. Does it make sense to buy 10k points for $100, or should I perhaps get a HHonors Amex? Or is there a way to use coupon connection, or perhaps transfer points from AA (I think the exchange rate isn't too favorable)?

4. If I should decide to just book a 3 night reward stay, and pay for 1 night at the corporate rate, would I get stay credit separately for both (I think the answer is no)?

5. If I book a 3 or 4 night reward stay, and the reward certificate is issued, does it expire? If I cancel the reservation, do I have to redeposit the points, or can I? Is it better to get 2 shorter certificates than one longer, or does it matter?

There's a certain time pressure to make a decision, since I imagine the reward rooms will be sold out before long.

I'm sure these are very basic questions. Thanks for any help.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 6:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select
1. IMO...yes since after taxes and such, you would be paying $300 out of pocket per night. I've redeemed for less.

2. No unless there is a resort fee. But this is just a regular hotel, so I don't think so.

3. Being 5K short isn't bad, so I wouldn't buy. There are many options out there. I think getting the no annual fee HH AMEX card is a great deal. Easy 10K and you can earn bonus pts when you stay w/ Hilton in the future.

4. You'll get stay credit for your paid night, but probably not for your reward nights.

5. If you do it online, it'll redeposit soon after you cancel your reservation (I think the webiste says 30 mins after you cancel...can't remember).

Hope this helps a little...
Old Aug 1, 2006, 6:29 pm

Programs: United 0, HH Gold
I agree with all the above poster's points. I second the idea of getting the Hhonors Amex card. It's great, lots of bonus points and no annual fee. There's really no reason not to have it (aside from your credit rating, of course).

Cancelling a reward reservation could not be easier... and your points go back right away.

I've stayed at the ES a number of times... it's very nice. The manager's reception is better than most (good hummus and pitas) and the breakfast was also better than most. Rooms were fairly standard. The neighborhood is great for nightlife! And at $300 a night, it's a good use of points (you'll find cheaper in the DC area .. but you'll need to stay way, way out in Virginia or Maryland somewhere.

Good luck!
Old Aug 1, 2006, 7:31 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the very helpful responses.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 7:32 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Originally Posted by card1953

4. If I should decide to just book a 3 night reward stay, and pay for 1 night at the corporate rate, would I get stay credit separately for both (I think the answer is no)?
It's only one stay no matter how you pay for it, even if it's four nights, so you will only get credit for one stay, but four nights. For multiple stays, you would need to spend a night somewhere else in the middle. Now if you wanted four stays, you would move hotels every night.

Are you sure it's even available? It may be a moot point if the rates are that high, there may not be any nights available.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 9:24 pm

If you get the AMEX card, can't you use the AXON reward for 4 nights at 125K? MIght even be able to do w/o the AMEX card--I've booked many AXON rewards and I've never been been asked for my AMEX number, but I do have one so perhaps its in my profile somewhere.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 10:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by luv2go
If you get the AMEX card, can't you use the AXON reward for 4 nights at 125K? MIght even be able to do w/o the AMEX card--I've booked many AXON rewards and I've never been been asked for my AMEX number, but I do have one so perhaps its in my profile somewhere.
How do I book an AXON reward? I don't see that reward in the list.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 11:09 pm
Community Director Emerita

Hilton's AXON award.

Exclusive Offer: Redeem for Less

As a Hilton HHonors Platinum Credit Cardmember, you can redeem for less. Receive four HHonors reward nights at any Category 5 or Category 6 Hilton Family hotel worldwide for 125,000 HHonors points. This same stay would normally require 140,000 or 160,000 HHonors points.

Take advantage and visit Hawaii's Big Island and stay at the Hilton Waikoloa Village® or visit Asia Pacific and stay at the luxurious Conrad® Bali Resort & Spa.

To redeem this reward, please call 1-800-920-5649 and request Reward Code AXON.
Old Aug 2, 2006, 7:35 am

Programs: AA, HH, SPG
borrowing points?

I need to be there for 4 nights, so if I did it entirely as a reward it would be 140k points. I only have ~135k points right now, and I don't have any stays scheduled between now and the DC trip. I'm not too familiar with earning points outside of stay credit, since I haven't really been trying to accumulate them.
Not sure on this, perhaps someone else can chime in....I think you may be able to go into the negative column in points accrued. That is Hilton may let you borrow the extra points 5K points that you need. I know it is possible in some program, just not sure which one.

I've transferred AA miles to HH before to get an award. Flat $25.00 fee.
Old Aug 2, 2006, 9:57 am

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
I
3. Does it make sense to buy 10k points for $100, or should I perhaps get a HHonors Amex? Or is there a way to use coupon connection, or perhaps transfer points from AA (I think the exchange rate isn't too favorable)?
Coupon Connection is an option. There are multiple people out there with trades for eRewards which can be exchanged for up to 3000 HH points. A couple of small trades would erase your deficit.
Old Aug 2, 2006, 10:26 am
Original Poster

As a brief follow-up, I did call and try to book an AXON reward. The first agent said the ES was sold out; but the second said it was available for 120k (I thought it was 125k). Meanwhile, the first agent said the Homewood Suites was available. I looked online, and it was available on a PS reward for only 84k, so I decided to book it.
Old Aug 2, 2006, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For future reference, the exchange ratio for AA miles -> HH points ia 1:2.

So 5000 AA miles becomes 10,000 Hilton points.
Old Aug 2, 2006, 1:45 pm
Community Director Emerita

Meanwhile, the first agent said the Homewood Suites was available. I looked online, and it was available on a PS reward for only 84k, so I decided to book it.
Sounds like a great outcome. Thanks for coming back to report. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.