Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I Hope Hilton Goes Smoke Free

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2006, 7:13 am

Programs: AA Ex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by brettshriver
I would have to agree that they will eventually institute a smoking ban at the properties. They have already initiated it on a hotel by hotel basis as I just booked at the Hilton Scottsdale Resort & Villas and their web site advertises it as a non smoking facility. The only place left for smokers eventially will be the great outdoors and thier own homes. Well until someone coorelates that some endangered species died of second hand smoke and bans smoking outdoors.
I think it will take longer than the end of the year. Also I believe it's arkansas is banning smoking in cars that contain young children (<7 years old or <60lbs). Fine is $25 or waived if they enter a program I believe to help them stop smoking. So with all the legislation being passed I think at least by the end of next year they will be smoke free for the US.

Lance
Old Jul 27, 2006, 10:34 pm

Is your Hilton smokier this week?

Mine sure is. I have been at the hotel a few times this week during the day to see the housekeepers running ozonators from room to room to get out the stench. It's now coming through the door cracks pretty much day and night. the towel only helps so much -- and I am surrounded by non-smoking rooms. I've earned Diamond for 5 or so years in a row, but am working to future reservations at Marriott and other non-smoking hotels. Time to vote with your dollars!
Old Jul 28, 2006, 12:07 am

Originally Posted by Weatherboy
So let them be snubbed. I would think smokers come from not-so-desirable demographics: low-income, limited education ...and probably not very likely to be able to have the know-with-all and financial ability to book a stay at a Marriot or Westin ...or hopefully a Hilton if Hilton adapts this policy.

Smokers should stay in chains that are better suited for them... like Days Inns or Red Roof Inns. But when I'm traveling on business or pleasure, I hope I never have to smell them and their smoke in or around the hotels I frequent...Hilton included.
I beg your pardon!!!

You certainly have a holier than thou attitude. I know for a fact that your I would think smokers come from not-so-desirable demographics: low-income, limited education ...and probably not very likely to be able to have the know-with-all and financial ability to book a stay at a Marriot or Westin ...or hopefully a Hilton is unsubstantiated and shows your own limited education by incorrectly spelling Marriott.

Grow up.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 7:42 am

Programs: UA 1K;
Originally Posted by drtravel
Mine sure is. I have been at the hotel a few times this week during the day to see the housekeepers running ozonators from room to room to get out the stench. It's now coming through the door cracks pretty much day and night. the towel only helps so much -- and I am surrounded by non-smoking rooms. I've earned Diamond for 5 or so years in a row, but am working to future reservations at Marriott and other non-smoking hotels. Time to vote with your dollars!

??? Paranoia ???

Why is it that only zealots see smoke "..coming through the door cracks pretty much day and night.."

I don't like smoke...but don't have a problem at Hilton properties. Do you suppose "they" are just after you?
Old Jul 28, 2006, 7:48 am

Programs: USAir gold
Hilton

We are building 2 Hilton Products as we speak and I am willing to bet we go 100% smoke free whether mandated or not. I managed a 208 independent property that had 10 rooms smoking. Guess what were the last rooms I had trouble renting? Yup, the smoking. Hilton will go this route, it is cleaner, easier to upkeep, and they will get less complaints. Ride by a hotel that has not beee redone in less than a year and look at the sheers in the room from the outside. I guarantee you will be able to tell what rooms are smoking and what ones are not by just looking at the sheers.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 3:46 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA, B6, BA (airline status-free leisure traveler), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by diana
I beg your pardon!!!

You certainly have a holier than thou attitude. I know for a fact that your I would think smokers come from not-so-desirable demographics: low-income, limited education ...and probably not very likely to be able to have the know-with-all and financial ability to book a stay at a Marriot or Westin ...or hopefully a Hilton is unsubstantiated and shows your own limited education by incorrectly spelling Marriott.

Grow up.
Hate to tell you, Diana, but there is alot of proof that in general smokers are a poorer demographic. Here are a couple of links I found after only a short search:

http://judy-vanwormer.tripod.com/id1.html

http://www.quitsmokinghub.com/smoking_statistics.shtml

Granted, Weatherboy might have been able to put it a little more tactfully, but he/she is correct regarding the demographics of a smoker.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 5:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K;
Originally Posted by loomis
Hate to tell you, Diana, but there is alot of proof that in general smokers are a poorer demographic. Here are a couple of links I found after only a short search:

http://judy-vanwormer.tripod.com/id1.html

http://www.quitsmokinghub.com/smoking_statistics.shtml

Granted, Weatherboy might have been able to put it a little more tactfully, but he/she is correct regarding the demographics of a smoker.
LOL
I love it when someone posts an obvious biased web site as "proof" of their position.

An anti-smoking web site is not a neutral source for statistics.
It would be great if people could/would quit smoking...but why do so many people make it their burning obsession in life to change other peoples lifestyle??
If you are always surrounded by second hand smoke these days, you sure must be going somewhere different than I am.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 5:44 pm
In Memoriam

Thinking this thread is heading to OMNI land.....
Old Jul 28, 2006, 8:20 pm
In memoriam

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club
Originally Posted by Traveller
Well sure I know it's banned, I was just saying that people still do it and shouldn't. I wasn't making a comparison. By the way, I don't smoke or drink but I am not requiring that others do as I do.
Traveller, do you know how nice it is to see you say "I dont smoke" know getting there was hard for you. Really really proud of you!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jul 28, 2006, 8:25 pm
In memoriam

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club
Yes Hilton should go smoke free, the sooner the better, in the meantime yes Marriott will be getting more of my business.

I am sure smoker's will be fine, for those saying where will they go, someone will get smart and open a chain of all smoking room hotels, which I am TOTALLY fine with. I cant tolerate smoke, but I have no issue giving smokers places of their own that non-smokers never need to interact with. So bring on the Nicotine Inns and Suites or Motel Cancer!!!!!
Old Jul 28, 2006, 9:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Lehava
Yes Hilton should go smoke free, the sooner the better, in the meantime yes Marriott will be getting more of my business.
Please make it a worldwide policy !
I couldnt have breakfast in the Executive Lounge at the Kuching Hilton(Borneo, Malaysia) because they allowed smoking in the lounge.

And can someone tell me why people smoke ?
Old Jul 31, 2006, 6:46 am

Programs: Aeroplan; Milage Plan; Hhonors;
It would be enough to have me move my Diamond elsewhere. If Hilton feels keeping or increasing the smoking rooms to attract the disconnected smokers from the other chains, while I can go there and be certain of a clean room....

However, I must say I have only ever had a problem once. There were no non-smoking rooms left when I went to check in, however that had just 5 minutes prior put a smoker in a non-smoking room. (He was two people in front of me checkin-in). By the time the sorted it out and moved him (Honestly, only 5 minutes) the non-smoking room was totally polluted by this inconsiderate smoker.
Old Jul 31, 2006, 10:36 pm

I smoke because I choose to. I don't smoke in my house, but then I have a garage, large deck and in ground pool with patio where I can smoke when I choose. I often don't have that choice when I travel. Too many hotels don't even let you open the windows anymore; let alone have a patio or balcony.
So, as long as Hilton allows smoking in the rooms I will continue to stay at Hilton properties the 80-100 nights per year that I travel.

If or when the US Government makes smoking illegal, I will quit. And then I will laugh my A** off at all the non-smoking zealots that brought about the change when they see their taxes rise (something has to replace the tax revenue brought in by the 25% of US adults who smoke - not to mention the taxes paid by the tobacco companies on their profits). You will also likely see Social Security benefits go down (due to people quitting smoking, thus living longer and withdrawing more from SS).

If Hilton goes smoke-free, I'm sure there will be other hotel chains more than willing to provide accommodations and those chains (or independents as the case may be) will reap the benefits of my travels.

Cheers,

'toad
Old Aug 1, 2006, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by Hammertoad
I smoke because I choose to. I don't smoke in my house, but then I have a garage, large deck and in ground pool with patio where I can smoke when I choose. I often don't have that choice when I travel. Too many hotels don't even let you open the windows anymore; let alone have a patio or balcony.
So, as long as Hilton allows smoking in the rooms I will continue to stay at Hilton properties the 80-100 nights per year that I travel.

If or when the US Government makes smoking illegal, I will quit. And then I will laugh my A** off at all the non-smoking zealots that brought about the change when they see their taxes rise (something has to replace the tax revenue brought in by the 25% of US adults who smoke - not to mention the taxes paid by the tobacco companies on their profits). You will also likely see Social Security benefits go down (due to people quitting smoking, thus living longer and withdrawing more from SS).

If Hilton goes smoke-free, I'm sure there will be other hotel chains more than willing to provide accommodations and those chains (or independents as the case may be) will reap the benefits of my travels.

Cheers,

'toad
Well said! Marriott just lost all my business and since I am now diamond at Hilton they get it. If they change I change. Many of us in this “demographic” actually have considerable money to spend.

I am a polite smoker, never smoke in non smoking rooms because I ensure that I have one prior to check in. If someone politely asks me stop smoking in an area where it is allowed I am happy to comply or move elsewhere, if someone does so in a rude way I think you know which way I blow the smoke. If people try to treat me with respect I try to treat them the same way.

Last edited by Canarsie; Aug 2, 2006 at 9:00 pm Reason: Removed personal attack.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 9:13 pm

Programs: Advantage Platinum Pro, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Both my parents died early with the help of the effects of smoking so I have an obvious bias here. But, I must say, I have never encountered any HH hotels, or any major chain hotels, where I have been offended by smoke or been in room where smoke smell has infiltrated my non-smoking room. So for me I don't see the problem with having both options available.

Businesses can make their own decisions of course, but no chain is going to lose my business because they have smoking rooms along with non-smoking rooms.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.