Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2019] Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2019] Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2018, 1:38 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
I am not sure why some people are complaining. We went from getting nothing to getting something. It is a nice property that consistently delivers good experience (at least for me). That some people do not like paying for things is a different matter. Being loyal to a programme does not mean that you are loyal to a particular property. I got very good treatment here in terms of early check-in/late check-out and room preferences. Never thought about asking for free food though. I am sure that unexpected nice things would be coming one's way if they were staying at the same property all the time.

Last edited by Andriyko; Jan 13, 2018 at 1:44 pm
Old Jan 13, 2018, 3:11 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by HawkeyeFlyer
I agree.....good lord. They gave you a breakfast voucher and you think it should be more money or for more people or for free. I learned after the LTD gift, which pissed me off, that I was being unreasonable to expect anything from Hilton or anyone else. If you don't like the perks, don't stay or go with another program.
And I'm perfectly fine it can only be used at Cafe Kula. We got food there a couple of times, and the food was always good (surprisingly good pizza), and it was so convenient to our room for breakfast. If they gave you $15 that could only be used at Humumu, what would that buy you?
Old Jan 13, 2018, 3:13 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
And I'm perfectly fine it can only be used at Cafe Kula. We got food there a couple of times, and the food was always good (surprisingly good pizza), and it was so convenient to our room for breakfast. If they gave you $15 that could only be used at Humumu, what would that buy you?
a napkin
Old Jan 13, 2018, 4:09 pm

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
That is the problem. Too many people feel they are owed something
No. We are essentially victims because we allow hotels to charge $500 a night without offering breakfast.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by ChinaShrek
No. We are essentially victims because we allow hotels to charge $500 a night without offering breakfast.
LMAO. We are now victims because hotels don't give us free breakfast. This thread is getting a bit out of control
Old Jan 14, 2018, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
LMAO. We are now victims because hotels don't give us free breakfast. This thread is getting a bit out of control
No kidding...next someone will inject politics and Obamacare into it...I mean, could you imagine how insane that would be?
Old Jan 14, 2018, 10:28 pm

Advice on car rental or not? We staying in the Napua tower over President's Day week and they provide transportation to and from the airport. The last time we were in Maui, Uber and Left were not prominent. We'll do a few small trips locally, but plan to spend alot of time at the resort. Car rental for the week and parking would be over $1000. Should we skip the car rental and just Uber? A one day rental from the onsite car rental place was $180.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by amc347
Advice on car rental or not? We staying in the Napua tower over President's Day week and they provide transportation to and from the airport. The last time we were in Maui, Uber and Left were not prominent. We'll do a few small trips locally, but plan to spend alot of time at the resort. Car rental for the week and parking would be over $1000. Should we skip the car rental and just Uber? A one day rental from the onsite car rental place was $180.
Uber gets more and more active there every day but there can still be times when it is not available or in short supply. That being said, unless you are going into Lahaina or doing road to hana you are fine without one. We do go to Mama's Fish House too and that is a bid of a haul
Old Jan 15, 2018, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by bsdstone
No kidding...next someone will inject politics and Obamacare into it...I mean, could you imagine how insane that would be?
I mean for $500 a night, any place that doesn't serve a proper full free breakfast is bad

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Jan 17, 2018 at 10:30 pm Reason: expletive deleted
Old Jan 15, 2018, 10:19 am

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
I am not aware any of the other 4 or 5 star places in the Wailea area serve free breakfast to everyone in the house, and they charge the same or more. How many more restaurant seats would there have to be...GW has 780 rooms!
Old Jan 15, 2018, 8:43 pm

Programs: Several...
Any opinions on W-A vs. Andaz? We are staying 5 days in early April. Right now we are booked at the Andaz.

From what I gathered online:

Andaz Pros: Great beach, fewer children, free self-service laundry, and just modern and chic overall, lots of extras for resort fee including: * GoPro Hero 5 Camera Rental * GroPro Lab * Outrigger Excursion * Kayak Tours * Snorkel Rental * Stand Up Paddle Board Lessons * Yoga and Fitness Classes * Single & Tandem Bike Rental * Ukulele Lessons * Body Board Rental * Photography Session * Coconut Husking Lessons ANDAZ BRAND AMENITIES INCLUDED WITH THE STAY * Transportation within Wailea * Reusable Water Bottle and Eco-bag * Hub 808 Kids Club(Complimentary, daytime) * Welcome Beverage (non-alcoholic) * Select snacks and non-alcoholic beverages in mini-bar, replenished daily * 'Ohana Lounge - early arrival and late departure lounge

Andaz Cons: Small bedroom and awkward bathroom, ocean view rooms don't always have a view of the ocean, charges resort fee and mandatory valet to the tune of $75.00 per night.

WA Pros: Great beach, beautiful grounds, large well-appointed rooms/bathrooms, resort fee includes: Includes:-
* A tropical flower lei greeting upon arrival
* Two bottles of water on day of arrival placed in the guestroom
* A welcome Mai Tai non-alcoholic punch at designated check-in area
* Unlimited local, toll-free, and credit card calls (no access fee)
* Coffee and tea in guestrooms
* Participation in yoga classes
* Admission to twice-daily scuba clinics
* Use of Kona Lanai Hardtail Mountain Bikes(based on availability)
* Beach umbrellas for use on Wailea Beach (subject to resorts inventory)
* In-room high speed internet access (up to 2MB), with wireless capability and internet for multiple devices

WA Cons: Potentially lots of children, more touristy, no laundry facilities

I realize this probably isn't an exhaustive list and that the final answer depends on the end-user. But, what would you suggest for a 10 year anniversary.

Price is not a big concern but the WA accommodations are 200-400 less than the comparable accommodations at the Andaz.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Old Jan 15, 2018, 9:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: United GS+
The Andaz has no redeeming qualities compared to WA, Kea Lani or FS. I’d only consider staying there if I had a lot of Hyatt points to burn, and by some miracle there was award availability.

The Andaz just has a cheap and unpolished feel to it imo. Stayed once just to check it out. Never again, even if it were half the price of the surrounding Wailea hotels.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 9:56 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Originally Posted by jgsx
The Andaz just has a cheap and unpolished feel to it imo. Stayed once just to check it out. Never again, even if it were half the price of the surrounding Wailea hotels.
I couldn't agree more. I would pick any other Wailea hotel over the Andaz.

To the OP, have you considered the Marriott? Value-wise, I consider it the hidden gem of that part of Maui.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 10:04 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by soliloquy
Any opinions on W-A vs. Andaz? We are staying 5 days in early April.
Grand Wailea also offers local transportation and late-departure facilities (i.e., one hour's use of a vacant guestroom) upon request. I suspect that the hotel doesn't include them alongside the explicitly-stated resort-fee amenities to limit demand; indeed, the property is simply too large to accommodate every guest's request for shuttle transfer or a shower suite. Since you didn't mention them among Grand Wailea's cons, note that mandatory resort and valet parking fees amount to $60 per day, slightly less than Andaz' $75 charge.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 11:33 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
In Wailea I've stayed at the Kea Lani, the Marriott, and the GW. While I liked the KL and M very much, I loved the GW and when we return it will be to the GW.

If you want to avoid kids the GW does have an adults only pool (as does the Marriott) but we stayed there for 5 boring minutes before going to the main pool which was sooo much fun.

Another way to avoid kids is simply travel when they are in school...there will always be some, but it won't be overrun like the summer or holidays.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.