Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2019] Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2019] Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2017, 9:54 pm

Programs: AA Plat, A List Pref, Marriott Ambassador
Anything can happen but I'm willing to bet $100 that there won't be any dates opening up closer to Christmas. There aren't a ton of the "terrace" view rooms to begin with, and they wouldn't be holding them from inventory at this point. I've never seen a non-terrace view room for the standard award rate. We love GW but we also enjoy staying on the other side of the island and have split our trips in half many times (5 days in Wailea and 5 days in Kaanapali). Or go to another island (we love the Mauna Kea)...two weeks at any resort would leave me a little stir crazy.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 2:15 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Baze
So here is my question, has anyone ever seen standard award space or cheaper rates appear for the timeframe in question? I realize it is the beginning of peak season and over Christmas and fully expect to have to use points and money to extend but thought I would enquire to peoples experiences.
In my experience, the higher room categories tend to disappear as we approach Christmas, and nothing in the lower (standard) categories reappear.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the answers. I thought about it and started looking for other options. Found a condo rental at Kaanapali through my Citi Prestige Thank you points. Not enough points to pay in full but got a discount using them and by paying the balance with the Citi Prestige card got one of the nights free. So got a condo with full kitchen and laundry in condo right on the beach that has fantastic reviews for a lot less money than extending the Grand Wailea. Also, no resort fee and free parking and internet at the condo. So if add it all together getting 13 nights on Maui for a total of ~$285 a night (as using 100% points at Grand Wailea). Think I did good considering the second week is over Christmas.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 1:16 pm

Programs: AA, Alaska, Hilton, Marriott
Still waiting for those standard rooms to open up. One chat rep said beginning of October, another one said that they don't open up standard rooms for points. Grrrrrrrrr
Old Oct 6, 2017, 3:31 pm

Can you please tell me the name of the condo and contact #. It sounds great.
Thank you
This question is for Baze

Last edited by felicity5; Oct 6, 2017 at 3:33 pm Reason: Add name
Old Oct 6, 2017, 4:21 pm

I want to make sure everyone knows about Island Deli which opened a couple of years ago in the shopping mall near the Grand Wailea. It is more than a deli , like a mini market, and has a big food selection of pre made salads, sandwiches, fruit , and a hot food bar where you can order hamburgers, chicken, prime rib etc. the prices are amazingly low , all for good quality food. We are so glad we found it. Now there is good, affordable, food within walking distance of the hotel.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 5:43 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by felicity5
I want to make sure everyone knows about Island Deli which opened a couple of years ago in the shopping mall near the Grand Wailea. It is more than a deli , like a mini market, and has a big food selection of pre made salads, sandwiches, fruit , and a hot food bar where you can order hamburgers, chicken, prime rib etc. the prices are amazingly low , all for good quality food. We are so glad we found it. Now there is good, affordable, food within walking distance of the hotel.
Is it in the Shops at Wailea?
Old Oct 6, 2017, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Is it in the Shops at Wailea?
Yes on the parking lot level. You walk straight ahead past the watch store and stairs. I think it's just past Bijan.

Last edited by felicity5; Oct 7, 2017 at 12:03 am Reason: Correction. It's called Gourmet Island Market. Past Gucci, Louis Vuitton and just past Cos Bar. Bijan has closed.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by felicity5
Can you please tell me the name of the condo and contact #. It sounds great.
Thank you
This question is for Baze
Sorry took so long to answer. Been away from computer.

Condo is the Kaanapali Alii booked through the Citi Thank you Rewards points portal.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 1:29 pm

Programs: AA, Alaska, Hilton, Marriott
I am hoping someone can help me out. Is it possible that they are no longer opening standard rooms at 90,000 points anymore for summer? I keep getting different information from reps on chat.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 9:17 am

I will soon be looking for 5 nights next year in November. My plan was to book as soon as possible. I just checked what's available and I find pretty much zero inventory for August, September, October. Does the GW hold back the Terrace View rooms from inventory so far out?
Old Oct 16, 2017, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by michaelr
I will soon be looking for 5 nights next year in November. My plan was to book as soon as possible. I just checked what's available and I find pretty much zero inventory for August, September, October. Does the GW hold back the Terrace View rooms from inventory so far out?
I wouldn't count on finding any days. They play games with inventory as they hate it when people use points.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 1:45 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by MNHunter
I wouldn't count on finding any days. They play games with inventory as they hate it when people use points.
We used points last year and we were treated very nicely. Received an upgraded room, and halfway through we got a box of chocolates with a (printed) note that read "we know you have a choice when you use your hard-earned points, and we're glad you decided to spend your vacation with us" (paraphrased).

Never had one whit of poor service because we were on points.

And this was minimal points, I don't remember how many but whatever the lowest category was at the time (and it was reasonable back then).

Impossible to find decent redemptions now. Hope Lauren can rattle their cage.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 6:46 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA, B6, BA (airline status-free leisure traveler), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by michaelr
Please do us all a favor and send a PM to the Lauren, who is the Hilton contact for this forum. Maybe if she gets pummeled by frustrated Honors members she will get the GW to clean up their act!
Old Oct 17, 2017, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
We used points last year and we were treated very nicely. Received an upgraded room, and halfway through we got a box of chocolates with a (printed) note that read "we know you have a choice when you use your hard-earned points, and we're glad you decided to spend your vacation with us" (paraphrased).

Never had one whit of poor service because we were on points.

And this was minimal points, I don't remember how many but whatever the lowest category was at the time (and it was reasonable back then).

Impossible to find decent redemptions now. Hope Lauren can rattle their cage.
We stayed in March 2016 on points too. Received an "upgraded room" and had a lovely stay overall too. The service was not poor because we were on points, my point was that the hotel itself doesn't like points redemptions as evident by their lack of availability. I know its a popular place but you cant tell me they are making available room on points that they should be.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.