Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Utah, USA {US-UT}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Utah, USA {US-UT}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2016, 8:17 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

I'm glad it worked out for you. Not switching hotels would be a priority for me.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are actually two separate sections of Zion with separate entrances.

Springdale is nearer to the main section, but St George is as close any town is to the Kolob Canyons section. You don't need nearly as much time for the Kolob Canyons section, but it doesn't tend to get crowded like the main section, so you may want to plan a few hours there tied to whichever night you're in St George, depending on when you arrive at & leave from Las Vegas.

While Bryce Canyon is great, you either need Best Western if you want to stay very close, or stay in Cedar City, not St George for a bigger choice of hotels. So I'm not sure that Bryce Canyon is really a good option to combine with Zion for one two-night trip. I think it would be better as one or the other. But Kolob Canyon could combine with either, since it's on the way between St George and Cedar City off the I-15.

Last edited by sdsearch; Mar 22, 2016 at 1:01 pm
Old Mar 22, 2016, 2:17 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by sdsearch
There are actually two separate sections of Zion with separate entrances.

Springdale is nearer to the main section, but St George is as close any town is to the Kolob Canyons section. You don't need nearly as much time for the Kolob Canyons section, but it doesn't tend to get crowded like the main section, so you may want to plan a few hours there tied to whichever night you're in St George, depending on when you arrive at & leave from Las Vegas.

While Bryce Canyon is great, you either need Best Western if you want to stay very close, or stay in Cedar City, not St George for a bigger choice of hotels. So I'm not sure that Bryce Canyon is really a good option to combine with Zion for one two-night trip. I think it would be better as one or the other. But Kolob Canyon could combine with either, since it's on the way between St George and Cedar City off the I-15.
Since we really have only one full day, we will stick with the main part of Zion and not worry about Bryce or Kolob.

However, our plans got upheaved again. Nothing is ever easy.

I thought I had it figured out to use 50,000 pts for one night, and pay $270 for the other in Springdale. Perfectly acceptable to us. Well, I had a nudge in the back of my mind and found out it was true...if you combine a points stay with a paid stay with HH, you get NO points for the paid stay, either. I'm not paying $270+ and not getting any HH pts at all! Can't do all points, either, since one of the nights is 110,000 pts.

So now I'm back to first night in St. George, second night in Springdale. It will be fine. I've already asked the Hampton in Springdale if we can park early and drop bags and they said absolutely.

What is astonishing to me is that this is for a Sunday and Monday night in June! Not even the weekend! The Zion Lodge in the park literally disappeared before my eyes as I was trying to book - someone scooped up the last room. Same thing with the Hampton - it is now sold out for the MONDAY that I booked yesterday. My husband was wondering if June 6...D-Day...is the reason? Wondering if National Parks do any sort of Patriotic stuff? Or is it just busy all the time?

I've already changed our flights and rental car out of Vegas to do this so no going back there. I'll of course watch things between now and then but if no changes we'll be fine with what we have.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 3:56 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
It's Zion National Park in the summer. Doesn't matter what days you go it's busy. They start the mandatory shuttles up the Zion Canyon Scenic Drive on March 12th for a reason!

Neil
Old Mar 22, 2016, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I used to live in Vegas & have been backpacking in Zion many times. One of my favorite parks in the world.

I'd recommend staying in St. George - way more dining options & it's really not that bad of a drive to the park.

Re: maximizing your time in the park - get up early & stay as late as you feel comfortable. Springdale has a couple of nice local joints to eat at & some cool art shops - but honestly, the 30 minute or so drive to the park is worth (IMHO) the savings.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 7:33 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Since we really have only one full day, we will stick with the main part of Zion and not worry about Bryce or Kolob.

However, our plans got upheaved again. Nothing is ever easy.

I thought I had it figured out to use 50,000 pts for one night, and pay $270 for the other in Springdale. Perfectly acceptable to us. Well, I had a nudge in the back of my mind and found out it was true...if you combine a points stay with a paid stay with HH, you get NO points for the paid stay, either. I'm not paying $270+ and not getting any HH pts at all! Can't do all points, either, since one of the nights is 110,000 pts.....
Can you book the first night on points from one account (yours?) and the second night with cash using your husband's account, thereby earning points for him (or vice versa depending on your points situation)? Even if you are the only one with an account, I believe you can book a points stay under his name, can't you?
Old Mar 22, 2016, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by japaik
why not see what is there in springdale that's not a hilton? the desert pearl inn for example is an excellent property right by the park entrance. depending on how often you go to zion, it may be worthwhile to stay right by the park to maximize your time there. mornings and afternoons are often better than mid-day for hikes when it is hot, so you'd potentially be cutting away from valuable time by staying in st. george.
I love the Desert Pearl.

As for the drive, it's super easy on the interstates. Only bad thing about driving the smaller roads is at night, there are an amazing number of deer. Driving from Zion to Bryce one night, we nearly gave up since avoiding them was getting a little difficult. I don't think the drive from St. George to the park is bad at all otherwise.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 9:16 pm

We only have one account, but it's ok. I think we might stay in St. George after all - the savings are substantial.

However, the more I read it sounds like the parking lot at the Visitor Center fills up pretty early, and therefore it is a good idea to actually be staying on the shuttle route in Springdale (to catch the first shuttle that takes you to the VC where you then catch the Park Shuttle), so I'll still look for a hotel for that second night. If not, we'll figure out where to park (any suggestions? I'm sure you just can't park in any old hotel or other business for the entire day. From google maps it looks like people just park along the main street?).
Old Mar 22, 2016, 11:20 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
The part of Zion that you enter from Springdale is fairly easy to get to from St. George. There seemed to be properties in Hurricane and also the town between Hurricane and Springdale also.

But if you drive all the way through Zion and then "exit" on the other side you are sort of out in the middle of nowhere and a drive through Zion is the fastest way back to St. George for sure. That puts you near Kanab; a new construction Hampton is scheduled to open in Kanab on April 30. Kanab isn't a very exciting place but if you are just going to sleep there...
Old Mar 23, 2016, 8:33 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
There's parking in town on the street near the various shuttle stops, you should be able to find something.

Don't forget to go to Oscar's for dinner!

Neil
Old Mar 23, 2016, 9:51 am

So our final decision has come down to:

Drive straight to Springdale from LV the first day, stay at the Hampton for 50,000 pts. We are doing this for the heat (earlier the better to get into the park the next morning), and the fact that we will have no worries at all about a parking space.

Don't have enough points for the second night, and don't want to pay $270, so after the Park will drive to St. George for the second night - HGI for C&P of $40 + 8,000 pts.

All of your advice was very helpful.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 11:45 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
HGI St. George is a nice property. It can be had for $42 on Priceline Express Deals but you have to be careful when selecting as you may also get the Red Lion as a 3 star there. There is also a new construction Holiday Inn there which I assume would also be a 3 star now.

Honolulu Grill in St. George is pretty good.

Southern Utah is a great place to visit since the economy there is so healthy.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FWIW, the Hampton Inn Salt Lake City Downtown is wrapping up a major top-to-bottom remodeling project, according to an article (with lots of interesting pictures such as what a hotel room looks like when it is completely empty -- no furniture). So if you have a need to stay downtown, this Hampton might be worth considering, if you like new. (I live here, so I have no personal experiences with this property.)

The hotel marked the close of nearly eight months of construction with a public open house Tuesday "to let our clients see the difference in the old rooms and the new rooms," and to celebrate the end of construction, said Sharon Larwerh, director of operations at the downtown hotel.

Hampton Inn manager Joe Bessette said the hotel was renovated to renew the franchise license.

"Hampton came in and did an inspection and said, 'To renew the license, this is what you need to complete,'" Bessette said.

Workers began updating the outside of the hotel in August and started on the hotel's 158 rooms in October, Bessette said.

The renovations should be completed next week, he said. Construction was scheduled to end April 1, but Bessette said normal construction delays pushed that date back.

The changes were all based on the hotel chain's Forever Young Initiative.

Bessette said the goal of the initiative is "to bring our 20-year-old hotel so it compares favorably to a newly built Hampton."

At Tuesday's open house, signs in rooms boasted new amenities such as faster internet and conveniently placed charging outlets with USB plug-ins.

Structural changes were also made.
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...te.html?pg=all

Old Nov 13, 2017, 10:51 am

Programs: UA, HH
Need some advise for an upcoming stay in SLC.

Family stay (2 adults 2 kids) for 2 nights, December. Coming in by Amtrak late, staying the full day Fri and first half of Sat. Flying out in the afternoon. I am Diamond with Hilton.

Priorities - will most likely spend time in the hotel - bigger room or suite will definitely work better. Pool preferred. Not planning to rent a car, so will walk to few things and dinners. Wouldn't mind good breakfast, DIA upgrades and, hopefully, late checkout.

Right now have the Hilton reserved, since it's the only one with Executive Lounge, but reading reviews and reconsidering room size priorities, thinking about changing to Homewood or Double Tree.

Advise on hotel choice is appreciated as well as, maybe, few ideas on few things to do with kids around downtown.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Artemk
Need some advise for an upcoming stay in SLC.

Family stay (2 adults 2 kids) for 2 nights, December. Coming in by Amtrak late, staying the full day Fri and first half of Sat. Flying out in the afternoon. I am Diamond with Hilton.

Priorities - will most likely spend time in the hotel - bigger room or suite will definitely work better. Pool preferred. Not planning to rent a car, so will walk to few things and dinners. Wouldn't mind good breakfast, DIA upgrades and, hopefully, late checkout.

Right now have the Hilton reserved, since it's the only one with Executive Lounge, but reading reviews and reconsidering room size priorities, thinking about changing to Homewood or Double Tree.

Advise on hotel choice is appreciated as well as, maybe, few ideas on few things to do with kids around downtown.
Doubletree is an all-suites property (if you are talking about this one). It used to be an Embassy Suites. It looked nice inside back then, but I do not have any experience with it since the reflagging. I believe it has a pool. It is too far to walk from the station, so you would need to cab it or use Uber.

The Homewood has the convenience of being within easy walking distance from the Amtrak station. It has a nice lobby and is relatively new construction. HOWEVER, Amtrak arrives in the middle of the night (regardless of whether your train is going towards Chicago or California). I no longer recommend walking in that area of downtown Salt Lake City after dark, especially if you have luggage and so forth, because the Homewood is located very near a troubled homeless shelter with criminals often preying on them. So if you do go to the Homewood, take a cab/Uber from the Amtrak station dispite the very short distance involved.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUser...City_Utah.html
There are plans in place to shut down the homeless shelter and build several other replacement shelters in other parts of the city. So within a few years, the problem should be resolved, as far as the Homewood is concerned. At the moment, things are better than they were during the summer (during which there were several killings and a lot of assault and drug crimes) because the state and city have coughed up a lot of money to provide more intensive social interventions and policing.
http://www.sltrib.com/news/2017/08/2...-pay-for-that/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.