Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Utah, USA {US-UT}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Utah, USA {US-UT}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2002, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Arrow DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Utah, USA {US-UT}

I will be in Salt Lake City next month for several days. Any and all recommendations on which Hilton property to stay at would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old Jul 16, 2002, 12:40 pm

The rooms at the airport Hilton are icky.

The public spaces are fine (although service was so sloooooooooow at the restaurant I thought my breakfast might possibly show up at dinner time--the next day).

The room I was first given was dirty (not as though housekeeping had skipped it, but old and stained), and the ice machine across the hall was so loud it drowned out the TV in my room. And the corridors are beigy-grey painted cinderblock.

I don't know what the downtown Hilton is like.

BTW, the Hampton Inn in Layton, about 30 miles north of SLC, is a pleasure to stay in. Clean, inexpensive, and the staff is wonderful.
Old Jul 16, 2002, 1:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
There is a Homewood Suites in Sandy that is nice, although its about 12 miles south of SLC just off the 215 FWY

There are numerous Hampton Inn's around SLC as well.

The A/P Hilton, I like, it also has a nice little bar in it which is a nice place to have a drink and relax.

Old Jul 16, 2002, 2:10 pm

Anyone ever stay at the Hampton Inn in PArk City?? I was able to get an award stay there over Christmas week, so I wondered how it was. (Can't beat a free stay at a ski resort over Christmas, even if its Hampton Inn and not Stein Eriksen Lodge)
Old Jul 16, 2002, 7:23 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH DMD, MAR PLT
I put in about 150 nights a year between the SLC Hilton City Center and the Embassy Suites. It somewhat depends on where you need to be and if you have a car. If you have a car, I kinda of like the roominess of the ES (about 4 blocks from the Hilton). It isn't anything special but it doesn't suck either. The Hilton City Center was remodeled just before the Olympics to give it a more boutique feel. I like this hotel but the channel selection on the TV sucks. It does have a pretty good fitness room and an indoor pool. The exec lounge on the 18th floor has also just been remodeled. This hotel is closer to the restaraunts if you're walking. I think if you're in town for just a few days this is probably the hotel for you and if you have status (and there isn't a convention in town) you'll get upgraded.
Old Jul 16, 2002, 10:05 pm

On general location, the West Airport location is the pits. Although I did not stay there, I did eat at the restaurant. That is because it is essentially the ONLY restaurant within walking distance of several hotels. There seems to be some sort of Office Park that requires several Hotels (there must be 8 to 10 in the area.) But no restaurants. Go for something in town.
Old Jul 17, 2002, 8:53 am

Programs: CO Plat; Delta Plat; Marriott Plat; SPG Gold; HHonors Gold
Homewood suites in Sandy or the Embassy suites in downtown SLC are your best bet by far.
Old Jul 17, 2002, 9:18 am

Location: DTW- USA, NWA Gold, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Gold, Marriot Plat, Hertz PC
Haven't stayed at the Hampton in Park City, but it looks like a really nice property - has a nice lodge look to it. It is NOT in downtown Park City though - its right at the highway exit, next to the outlet mall. Its about 15 minutes from downtown and Park City Mountain Resort, 5-10 from The Canyons.

------------------
Old Jul 17, 2002, 2:23 pm

Glad I read this thread, I had a room booked at the airport Hilton next week. It souned so nice on the the website......

Guess I will move over to the ES.
Old Jul 17, 2002, 3:25 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ccost:
Haven't stayed at the Hampton in Park City, but it looks like a really nice property - has a nice lodge look to it. It is NOT in downtown Park City though - its right at the highway exit, next to the outlet mall. Its about 15 minutes from downtown and Park City Mountain Resort, 5-10 from The Canyons.

</font>

Thanks ccost--I'll have a car anyway, and was going to ski the Canyons mostly to use American Ski Company passes. I was thrilled to get Christmas week on an award. Hilton properties near ski resorts are hard to come by! I think I read the free Park City shuttle goes down to the outlets/Hampton Inn area in the winter now, so thats an option for evening dinners, as I understand parking in downtown Park City is a problem.
Old Jul 17, 2002, 4:37 pm

I live in SLC. Last year I planned an anniversary stay at the Hilton Airport hotel because the website says they have paddleboats that guests can use on their private lake. My wife thought that sounded like fun. I called the hotel to ask what the fee was for using the boats and I was told they were all broken and could not be fixed. This hotel is in a large office park called the International Center. It is west of the airport. No night life at all. Downtown SLC is east of the airport. Thus, it is not the hotel to use if you have to be downtown during the day. There is local mass transit bus service from the International Center to downtown (route 50 at www.rideuta.com) but it takes awhile.

If being within walking distance of major downtown buildings is important, then book the Hilton City Center. The ES is slightly further away from the center of downtown.

If you don't mind being in the suburbs, then book the Homewood Suites if the location works for you. There are numerous Hampton Inns so one is sure to be close to where you need to be. (Interesting tidbit: when they were building the downtown Hampton Inn the construction workers found the remnants of SLC's first cemetery. Its location had been forgotten for years. The bodies were moved to a new location.) The downtown Hampton Inn is nice but it is located adjacent to a city park that has many homeless campers. Thus, it is not a good location for walking to and from at night if that kind of thing makes you nervous.

By the way, the Hilton City Center is the hotel that used to be a Doubletree, and before then a Red Lion. Back when it was a Doubletree, Hilton's downtown location was further from the center of downtown. That location is now part of a different chain. Thus, if you are coming to a convention, the present location of Hilton Downtown is very convenient, but the old location was not.

In case anyone is coming to SLC to do research at the FHL, I am a professional genealogist and I advise my clients to not use any of the above hotels, because even the closest, the Hilton Downtown, is a long walk. If anyone wants to know what I do advise, you can e-mail me directly. (I have no financial interest in the advice I give about SLC hotels.)
Old Jul 17, 2002, 6:35 pm

I've been inside the Homewood Suites, and it's a decent & relatively new property, but it's not what I would consider a good location. Sandy is a suburb about 9 or 10 miles south of Salt Lake City and doesn't have much to offer to visitors unless for some reason you want to be in the south end of the valley. If you're going to be here for several days, you'd probably enjoy the stay more if you were closer to downtown.
Old Jan 29, 2003, 6:42 am

Programs: AA EXP, HILTON PLAT
Anything near Bryce Canyon, Utah???

I am a loyal Hilton gal ... but have a trip to Bryce Canyon, Utah in a few months & on the website it appears the closest is a Hampton Inn 87 miles away!

Any thoughts or alternative hotel suggestions?

THANKS!
Old Jan 29, 2003, 7:15 am
Original Member

Programs: AA Platinum, AS, UA, DL, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTP, Hyatt, IHG Platinum
There isn't much in the way of accommodations in the immediate area of Bryce Canyon, and certainly none of the major chains (Hilton, Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt). When I was there about 5 years ago, we stayed at the Best Western Ruby's Inn which is THE main hotel in the area. It's not much, perhaps 2 stars at best, but it's not awful either. If you are planning to go to Bryce for more than a day, you don't have much choice unless you want to drive many miles each day. If you have dinner at Ruby's, I suggest going either early or late. At peak dinner time, a wait of 2 hours seemed to be the norm. There simply isn't much else around.

Bryce is absolutely wonderful, the best of the three National Parks (Zion and Capitol Reef are the two others) in southern Utah. Enjoy!
Old Jan 29, 2003, 11:04 am

Closest is Hampton Inn St. George I believe...that is probably the one you found.

------------------
Randy
-------------------------
HH Gold; WN CP; NW Gold Elite

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.