Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Key West Resort and Marina {US-FL} (no longer Honors)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Key West Resort and Marina {US-FL} (no longer Honors)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2001, 7:45 pm

Just got back from Key West and found our stay at the Hilton enjoyable; however, the HHonors Gold benefits were hard to come by.

Upgrade - told no rooms were upgrade rooms were available, but when asked about a room with a view of the water, we were given (with very much hesitation) a very nice room an obstructed view (overgrown palm tree)of the pool.

Complimentary Breakfast - advised by front desk that Key West Hilton no longer provides complimentary continental breakfast, but was given 2 free drink coupons. After review my membership book and calling the HHonors desk, I called the front desk manager, and was told they found customers really wanted the free drink coupons (2 at checkin) more than the free daily breakfast. But, again with hesitation, offered the breakfast coupons if we really wanted them.

Late Check Out - was advised there would be a $75 late check out fee. I asked to speak to the manager; the front desk associate went to the back and conferred with the "manager" and offered a 1 p.m. check out, because our room was all of the sudden book that night.

We really enjoyed staying at the Key West Hilton Resort & Marina because of their great location, but were extremely disappointed in the HHonors Gold VIP benefits. We felt that we had to beg for them.
Old Dec 26, 2001, 8:57 pm

Programs: UA Premier, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Folks,

As a somewhat frequent visitor to KW, I have stayed at the Hilton and Pier House. If you can get similar rates at the Pier House, I would opt for staying there. I know it's heresy for we who are slaves to the loyalty programs (I am to an extent), but sometimes the better hotel has to win out.

The Pier House is smaller and the service is better. They have their own private beach area with a great beach bar. Also, Scott Kirby plays at the bar there 2-3 nights a week (go to hear him even if you aren't staying there).

If you do insist on going to the Hilton, don't get a room in the main building. Go for the building where the pool (and pool bar) is located. The main building is rather sterile and has little ambience, IMHO. Water view rooms there usually consist of a view of the marina.

If you have any other questions about for bars/restaurants/hotel in KW and the surrounding keys, ask and I'll try to answer them.
Old Dec 27, 2001, 9:41 pm

I've been looking at the Key West Hilton also and I'm considering just staying in the Key West Hampton. I know it's not as nice but we're not there for Key West itself. We're going to be diving out of Looe Key.

On the other hand, last January we ate dinner at the Hilton's outside terrace. The staff was great, the food excellent and the chance to be away from the crowds was just terrific.
Old Dec 28, 2001, 6:45 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by techlady:
I've been looking at the Key West Hilton also and I'm considering just staying in the Key West Hampton. I know it's not as nice but we're not there for Key West itself. We're going to be diving out of Looe Key.</font>
The Key West Hampton is a huge ripoff ... older Hampton Inn property that's usually way overpriced.

There's a newly renovated Courtyard right down the street you might want to consider first, unless you have to stay at a Hilton brand.
Old Dec 29, 2001, 8:22 pm

Thanks for the info Beckles!

I'd be just burning some points on a stay whichever way. Sounds like the Hilton's the choice in Key West.
Old Jan 9, 2002, 5:42 pm

Location: cmh: nw gold, dl gold, aa plat, hh diamond. BBJ Capt
Key West Hilton

anyone have any comments on either key west hilton or the sunset cottages at key west?
Old Jan 9, 2002, 8:58 pm

We stayed at Hilton Key West in December. Great location. Room was large, although we had to call housekeeping twice during our stay to makeup room. You can't get closer to the sunset and activities. Sunday champagne brunch (~$24.95) was delicious. On the down side, the front desk was extremely resistent and inconsistent in providing HHonor amenities. Two free drink coupons were given when after asking for the complimentary breakfast coupons. After talking with the "manager", we were finally given breakfast coupons for most of our stay. I've seen many complaints about the front desk lacking in offering/give the HHonors benefits.
Old Jan 10, 2002, 9:27 am

The Keywest Hilton is just a minute away from my house. When I have family in and the house gets to crowded, the overflow goes to the Hilton. The location is perfect for Key West. No car needed during your stay. You can walk or ride a bike to everything. As for Hhonors, the resort is always full on weekends, so upgrades can be hard. No breakfast offered, but got drink coupons. The property is only a few years old and is very well kept. Nice pool. If you get a chance, the Schooner Wharf bar is a great place to go. A local Key West lengend Michael McCload, plays there in the afternoons. www.schoonerwharf.com . Also
Sloppy Joe's and Hogsbreath saloon are a must. www.hogsbreathsaloon.com www.sloppyjoes.com .
Old Jan 10, 2002, 3:28 pm
VRN

We stayed at this hotel in September 1998. I have never seen so many faults in one room at one time ( Cracked bathroom sink, large burn in the carpet, very noisy air conditioning,lack of hot water ( only ever warm )maids not replacing towels - the list goes on ) but the worst was that we had booked a seaview room but the entire view was blocked by palm trees. When we tried to move rooms we were told the hotel was full. All in all not a very good experience with this hotel. The location was very good though. We spent a day on Sunset Key and were able to look around one of the villas. What a difference. Really nice and right by the beach. Although a lot more expensive than the standard Hilton hotel. If visiting again I would consider staying in one of the villas or in the Hyatt next door.
Old Jan 10, 2002, 11:42 pm
kmt

I just returned from the Keys. Spent four nights in KW at the Hilton. Three nights were on a cert. reward, 100K, and the fourth night was 185.00 on the net. Quite a bit of HH points, but worth it. We stayed over Christmas (when we were told there was no availability until I spoke directly to the hotel reservationist) and were upgraded to a partial ocean-view room with a separate old-town view. The ocean view was mostly (not partially) obscured by a palm tree, but it was still quite nice. The room was large with a balcony with a large (rocking) chair. We received a small box of candy on our bed for Christmas as well. Went to Sunset Key and , like most of the so-called beaches in KW, not much room and lots of rocks. Still, a nice secluded area with drinks and food on the beach.Overall, a really fine hotel. I only hope I receive proper point credit for the stay (the last night fee and over 500.00 in charges) since HH has only posted 165 points for two beers from the mini-bar for 16.50.
kmt
Old Jan 11, 2002, 5:14 am

KMT - I'm still waiting for credit for one of our night's also (booked seperately because of rate increase during our stay). I faxed hotel receipt twice, and finally called CS, and was told posting would take 4-6 weeks. Go figure.

Also, worth noting if you are staying at the hotel for an extended period of time - you can have the mini-bar emptied for a one-time $20 fee, for your own personal use. You even get HHonors points for the $20 + tax!!
Old Jan 11, 2002, 8:07 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
So far all at the hotel, anybody stay at the sunset cottages at key west?

[This message has been edited by Sweet Willie (edited 01-11-2002).]
Old Feb 5, 2002, 11:54 am

Is there a parking or resort amenity charge at the hotel?

And (I've never been to KW before - going next week for the 1st time) is a 3 day stay enough to see everything there is to see / do and not get bored?
Old Oct 6, 2002, 5:52 pm

Key West Hilton

Does anyone have any recent visits/experiences in Key West? I am planning a trip there in late November and wonder if the service and HHonors benefits have improved.
Old Oct 7, 2002, 7:16 am

I can tell you that the hotel is hit or miss when it comes to benefits. The hotel is in the best location in key west. Nov is a slower time in Key west. However weekends are still busy. I have friends who come down and if the house is full the overflow goes to the hilton. If you have not been to key west before, this is a great place to start.

[This message has been edited by keywestbars (edited 10-07-2002).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.