Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Embassy Suites Nightly Manager's Reception

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Embassy Suites Nightly Manager's Reception

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2006, 10:17 pm

Programs: Delta SILVER Medallion; Alaska Mileage Plan; HiltonHHonors GOLD; Starwoods GOLD
I too have found the manager's reception somewhat disappointing. I was at ES Kansas City, MO this March for nearly a week, and the "food" was chips, popcorn, or similar snack items. I got coupons for drinks, the wine was okay, nothing to rave about. I didn't expect a full blown meal, but this was rather weak I thought. Now the breakfasts, that was a different story. They were great! I enjoyed breakfast every morning, much more than I'd eat if I were at home and had to fix it myself! The hotel was under going a renovation, so things were torn up. I liked my suite, was able to spread out and work. The other posters are correct, Homewood Suites serves a nice evening spread. Breakfast is so-so.
Old Jul 1, 2006, 9:54 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: HH Diamond, Amtrak Exec
Originally Posted by theblakefish
Check the fine print on the ES hotel-specific website, as some states won't allow free booze (I had to pay regular prices for a drink at the ES Boston Logan Airport last December!).
That ES used to get around the law by handing out what looked like carnival tickets at check in to Gold’s and Diamond’s. Hand over the ticket when no one was looking, other than the bar tender, and you got your free drink.

They stopped doing that a little over a year or so ago. I guess some inspector caught on and/or some guest wasn't surreptitious enough.
Old Jul 2, 2006, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Ltgfrk
I feel bad for the unknowing European who steps up to the bar and is offered the choice between Bud and Bud Light.

Now if only ES could offer the colored water and a Microw or Import as well as Grits for breakfast (at properties outside of the SE)...... ^
The ES on State Street in Chicago only offers the crappy beer, too. Sorry, didn't check the hard stuff.

And if there's a liquor store across the street (as is the case with the above ES), who cares about crappy free booze? Spend a couple bucks and get what you like.

Actually, I think it was even worse than Bud products, something like MGD. I'd rather drink from the gutter out front.

For $279 a night or whatever it is now, they could do a lot better. How much more does a decent beer cost per keg than swill? $10-20? Doesn't even have to be a premium micro or such, either. And I bet Goose Island or someone would give them a deal for the added advertising value.
Old Jul 2, 2006, 12:17 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG
receptions

Originally Posted by MarkMColo
There were a few mentions of and comparisons with Homewood Suites. No big deal for a typical one week or less business trip, but there are no evening receptions Friday thru Sunday.
This is also true os some ES, most notably in Charleston, SC
Old Aug 31, 2006, 2:48 pm

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, QR Privilege Club, MB LT Plt (1K+ nights thx MB)
Any comment on the manager's reception at the ES San Juan, PR
Old Aug 31, 2006, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by Recreation
The worst manager's reception I've ever been to was the ES Fallsview in Niagara Falls, Canada. Each person in the room was given a coupon for exactly one complimentary drink. Anything beyond that was out of your pocket. ...
I think that is in part to control the load of guests. Far too many registered to fit in that space. Also since it is a tourist destination, you'd probably find many guests parked there going through drink after drink unless they limited it.

By contrast, the traffic is much lighter in most ESs, and many are business traveller's who might just have one or two drinks in any event.
Old Aug 31, 2006, 7:24 pm

Programs: Lifetime Plat Marriott
Something similiar...

Originally Posted by srodr
While this probably sounds really pathetic, I have to admit that when I lived at the La Jolla ES for 6 months, I would occasionally take a big breakfast up to my room in the morning and throw it in the fridge for dinner. I know that sound really cheap, but hey, I've had breakfast for dinner at Denny's many times, so why not save a little money once in a while.
I'm not a big fan of breakfast and I always hope they have actual hard boiled eggs (only a few Hiltons have had them), so the ES breakfast is really a waste for me.

What I do though is drink one of my waters (16 oz ones they have in the room) and fill it with nonfat milk in the morning and grab a box of cereal or two. I will eat those for snacks in the evening because I can still eat healthy while I'm traveling. I never eat any of the hot items, or donuts either. I may take an extra banana also. Do I feel equivalent to stealing toilet paper? Hardly.

Dawn
Old Aug 31, 2006, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by kymbakitty
I'm not a big fan of breakfast and I always hope they have actual hard boiled eggs (only a few Hiltons have had them), so the ES breakfast is really a waste for me.

What I do though is drink one of my waters (16 oz ones they have in the room) and fill it with nonfat milk in the morning and grab a box of cereal or two. I will eat those for snacks in the evening because I can still eat healthy while I'm traveling. I never eat any of the hot items, or donuts either. I may take an extra banana also. Do I feel equivalent to stealing toilet paper? Hardly.

Dawn
Good for you. I find I can eat healthy at ES breakfast and Hilton Exec lounge. Cereal, fruit, hard boiled eggs, oatmeal, juice. I admit to grabbing a banana every once in a while and eating it mid-morning.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 7:05 am

ES Richmond Virginia

We went to the beer/wine/cocktail reception at ES Richmond, Va on a thursday evening a few weeks ago. Along with the usual fruits, vegetables, chips, and cheeses, they also had fried calamari, "pigs in a blanket", and lemon squares.
Old May 16, 2014, 7:33 pm

Hey there. Bringing a long dormant thread back to life. Spending 6 days at the ES-Arcadia, CA. My observations so far:

- Still serving bud, cheap wine and crappy snacks.
- Every night there's at least one really loud person. Gender doesn't matter. Voice and/or laughter reverbrates through the entire hotel from 5-7pm.
- As mentioned previously, good opportunity to get a buzz. At this property, you can get half a bag on then walk to the famous "Derby" restaurant.
- Remember Captain Stubing's table on the "Love Boat"? Well, the ES manager's reception is more like Gopher's assistant throwing a keg party in his mom's basement while his mom is upstairs watching Wheel of Fortune.
Old May 19, 2014, 8:45 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
My last ES was the ES Raleigh-Crabtree in Raleigh, NC in 2012. The reception had the same crappy wine and beer you mentioned and snacks were pretzels or Wheat Things with strawberry yogurt dipping sauce (?). It's almost not worth going to frankly especially with your apt comments about the one loud mouth and how crowded it gets.

Frankly, since I made Gold I avoid ES whenever I can, it's not worth all the families and the huge lines at breakfast.
Old May 19, 2014, 9:37 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
San Diego Harbor is serving Michelob Amber Bock, and, one of my favorites, Shock Top. Happy camper!!

Breakfast has slipped a little more...
Old May 26, 2014, 11:55 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by Recreation
The worst manager's reception I've ever been to was the ES Fallsview in Niagara Falls, Canada. Each person in the room was given a coupon for exactly one complimentary drink. Anything beyond that was out of your pocket. For as much as they charged per room, they should have given each guest a barrel of beer.

That's the only ES where I've seen them limit you on your drinks, including Chicago.
The new Embassy Suites in Elizabeth NJ only gives a coupon for one drink -- I believe it says on it that it is NJ law that requires the limit. They did have Blue Moon available as one of the beers there though.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 8:54 am

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
Does anyone know what are the usual times for the managers reception at ES PHX 24th Street?
Old Jul 19, 2015, 10:01 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Ed Size
Does anyone know what are the usual times for the managers reception at ES PHX 24th Street?
While I do not know for sure the time of that location, all the Embassy Suites I have been to have been pretty consistent with the managers reception always two hours and always 5:30-7:30 PM (maybe some 5-7 PM) but cannot recall ever seen one outside that range. (Granted I now don't stay at ES that often)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.