Wiki Posts
Search

Hampton Inn / Rest Stop

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2006, 11:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, AA Ex Plt, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Hampton Inn / Rest Stop

Am I the only one that uses Interstate side Hamptons as rest stops? Clean bathroom in lobby... hot coffee... what else do you need? I have 18 stays so far this year and I think this should be just another use of Diamond status. I get strange looks from some desk clerks, but I get over it and don't care if they do or not.

Properties Guy
Old Mar 30, 2006, 11:56 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; Delta Gold Medallion
Are you saying you just walk into a Hampton Inn use the bathroom, get some coffee, and leave without ever staying there?
Old Mar 30, 2006, 12:19 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HH Dia, IC Plat, AS Boardroom
Never thought of using Hamptons for this purpose. I always use McDonalds!!Now I know why Westin's are never close to the offramp.
Old Mar 30, 2006, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
The Hampton, as well as the nearby Comfort Suites, in my neighborhood allow access to lobby loos by swiping room card. Perhaps ones on highways are different?
Old Mar 30, 2006, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by Properties Guy
Am I the only one that uses Interstate side Hamptons as rest stops? Clean bathroom in lobby... hot coffee... what else do you need? I have 18 stays so far this year and I think this should be just another use of Diamond status. I get strange looks from some desk clerks, but I get over it and don't care if they do or not.
And we wonder why Hampton Inns have been getting more expensive over the last couple of years.

Mike
Old Mar 30, 2006, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Properties Guy
Am I the only one that uses Interstate side Hamptons as rest stops? Clean bathroom in lobby... hot coffee... I get strange looks from some desk clerks, but I get over it and don't care if they do or not.
I think if you're stealing coffee you should get more than a strange look. Holding Diamond status and racking up a bunch of stays at other HIs does nothing for the franchisee/manager whose goodies you're helping yourself to.

I disagree with your practice. Those facilities are for paying guests.
Old Mar 30, 2006, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Actually, you could just wander in and help yourself to breakfast, too, if you were so inclined.

I try to limit myself to Mickey D's and Bourgeois King and the like. Especially the newer ones built with EZ-off, EZ-on in mind. They usually have much cleaner rest rooms than other places.

Sometimes it doesn't hurt to pick up a cuppa while you're there, either.
Old Mar 30, 2006, 2:26 pm

Hmm... this makes me wonder...I have a good friend, who travels to a nearby city for work...and stays at the Hampton there...sometimes, we'll meet for dinner....is it wrong of me to grab a cup of coffee for the ride home on the way out of the lobby?
Old Mar 30, 2006, 2:59 pm

Programs: United, Southwest, HH Diamond, PC Platinum, Airtran, Starwood Plat, Marriott Gold, Loews Gold
hmmmm, bathroom ok.....coffee w/o staying

At least you don't eat the free breakfast ^
Old Mar 30, 2006, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
If a guest there is a friend, as described above, I don't equate that with grabbing a free coffee off the street.
Old Mar 30, 2006, 6:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
I'm cheap, but I'm not that cheap... I typically use McDonald's, Sheetz, or WaWa (if they're in the area) and buy a cup of coffee or a drink of some sort.
Old Mar 30, 2006, 7:09 pm
Suspended

Most Chain Motels have Clean bathrooms. I dont see any reason not to use their bathrooms its definitely Not for Guests use Only. otherwise there would be a sign to that affect.

Now grabing a newspaper or a cup of coffee is definitely for GUESTS Only.

A simple way around that is to ask whomever is at the desk. Then on your way out you can ask them if you can grab a cup of coffee. I have stopped Numerous times at different Hilton props as I needed to either send or read an email that someone called me about. I stop ask if they have a Biz center and show my Diamond card and ask if they would mind if I jump on for a few mins to check or send something that someone just called me about. Ive never been told NO except one time since it wasnt working. Surprise was, they said I can let you use the one in our Office. Again this was done with them knowing full well that I wasnt a guest of theirs , but they did it as a favor to a Diamond.

If I was ever turned down , I would Thank them anyway and try another place.

In No way do I feel that since Im a Diamond that ALL Hilton props have to let me use their Facilities
Old Mar 30, 2006, 7:10 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold; Hilton Diamond; National C ar Executive Elite
traditionally hotel lobby restrooms have been considered open to the public so I guess there's nothing wrong with using a HI restroom for that purpose. The coffee on the other hand is sometimes slated for just hotel guests, sometimes not...often times it's there for anyone that is "visiting" the lobby/front desk...

I guess the hotel would put a sign up that says that the "coffee is for guests only" if they really felt they couldn't afford the occasional coffee "thief"
Old Mar 30, 2006, 11:27 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, HHonors Diamond, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
The reason why most of the Lincoln Towncar drivers in NY know where all the hotels are is because when they have to "go" they go to a nearby hotel to do their business. I remember being driven to one destination (stop 2 of 3 that day)and my lunch did not agree with me. My driver drove me to the closest hotel and I told him that I was uncomfortable using their bathroom because I wasn't a hotel guest. He suggested that I tip the front desk clerk a couple bucks and I thought that was a great suggestion. I suppose the OP could have tipped the front desk guy a buck or two for the coffee and bathroom break.
Old Mar 30, 2006, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Nordstrom can stand to lose the occasional blouse to thievery, too, but that's not the point. It's the principle of the thing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.