Wiki Posts
Search

How do hotels know our status?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2006, 5:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold (Million Miler), FI Gold, Bonvoy Titanium
How do hotels know our status?

I figure that each hotel prints out a list of all guests and on this list the status is mentioned. What I am wondering is whether if you are Gold when you book a room but become a Diamond before you check in for that room if your status will show as Gold or Diamond. I know that it works this way for some airlines.

For some of my reservations (which I always book online) I've written "HH Gold" in the comments box. I assume this will still appear to the hotels, but will my new status show up too and override it?
Old Mar 28, 2006, 8:55 am

Programs: HHonors Silver
What you enter in the comments box will stay in comments box but it may not matter.

When the hotels prepare the rooms they know the status of each guest based on other data in the reservation. So Golds/Diamonds staying at a Hampton get the water & cookies, etc.

When I make a stay with a higher status than I had when I booked the stay I usually show my card at checkin. It generally won't make a lot of difference if you check in as a Diamond and the reservation record shows you as Gold since the systemwide perks don't differ much. There may be local exceptions where the property extends a courtesy to a Diamond that they wouldn't to a Gold. I've seen parking fees waived in the US or lounge access granted overseas for Diamonds only. In most/all cases showing your new status card at checkin should get you what you deserve.
Old Mar 28, 2006, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I'll mention the time that I made a reservation as a gold and was told by the clerk (DuPont Circle Hilton, DC): "I'm sorry, but the system shows you as Blue [so no breakfast for you!]." He relented only when I physically produced the gold card. From then on, I have made a point of bringing it.
I was rather startled last week when the check-in clerk greeted me with: "Welcome back, Mr. Scrounger!" I had stayed there one night, three years earlier (HGI North @ SFO).
Old Mar 28, 2006, 10:09 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
shows on reports/system

Your status is shown on the check-in screen. It also shows your points balance.

However, as others have suggested, always carry your card, you might get additional perks (like in Vegas) and always carry a printout of your reservation.
Old Mar 28, 2006, 10:38 am

Programs: UA MMGold, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Cheap Elite

However, as others have suggested, always carry your card, you might get additional perks (like in Vegas) and always carry a printout of your reservation.
I had an experience the hotel manager read out the screen about my status to me. He knows the status and point balance as Cheap Elite stated here. Also think hotel knows if I am a returning customer or not as sometimes they will greet me as "welcome back".
Old Mar 28, 2006, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most

Beside the points amount it also shows the number of stays/nights YTD you have had with the Hilton chain.
Old Mar 28, 2006, 5:41 pm

Ahhh, the miracle of modern technology

Originally Posted by holtju2
Beside the points amount it also shows the number of stays/nights YTD you have had with the Hilton chain.
What you are referring to is "OnQ". OnQ is a program developed by HHC that the hotels use as their in-house system. It recognizes returning guests as well as those who have never stayed at that particular brand before (Ever heard "Welcome to the Hampton/Homewood/Embassy etc brand" ????).

Regarding the apparent incorrect tier level mentioned in another reply to this thread, this is not totally uncommon. A common reason for the tier level discrepancy is that some members have more than one account. Word of advice: make sure your reservations are showing up on the correct account. It's not a problem (multiple active accounts) that can not be overcome but it's nice to have all reservations on one account so that all of the sudden you go to make a points redemption stay and find out that there are very few points in your account only to find out later that all of your stays have been placed on another unknown account for you :-)
Old Mar 28, 2006, 6:01 pm

Programs: HHonors Silver
I've stayed 13 times at the same Hampton Inn in the past year and unless the clerk recognizes me on sight I still get the "Have you stayed at our hotel before?" question at checkin.

Back when I was a Diamond I occasionally got a comment like "Wow, you sure do spend a lot of time in our hotels!"
Old Mar 28, 2006, 6:11 pm
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by Karter
I figure that each hotel prints out a list of all guests and on this list the status is mentioned. What I am wondering is whether if you are Gold when you book a room but become a Diamond before you check in for that room if your status will show as Gold or Diamond. I know that it works this way for some airlines.

For some of my reservations (which I always book online) I've written "HH Gold" in the comments box. I assume this will still appear to the hotels, but will my new status show up too and override it?
it's that darned Patriot Act, I tell 'ya.
Old Mar 28, 2006, 7:27 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Avis Rock Star
Originally Posted by pdhenry
I've stayed 13 times at the same Hampton Inn in the past year and unless the clerk recognizes me on sight I still get the "Have you stayed at our hotel before?" question at checkin.

Back when I was a Diamond I occasionally got a comment like "Wow, you sure do spend a lot of time in our hotels!"

I run into both situations all the time. As early as yesterday when I was checking in, the check in agent started to inform me about how to get to the concierge lounge in th ehotel I am currently in.

I smiled and said, "let me guess, it's on the 7th floor, I'll need my keycard to get to the floor, and breakfast starts at 6:30". She laughed and said "Oh, I guess I should have looked closer. I go on break in 20 minutes, can you fill in for me? " with a smile.
Old Mar 28, 2006, 7:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: UNITED 2K HILTON DIAMOND

they always need your credit card no matter what. always place your Diamond card or whatever on top. Even the dullest of agents gets a reminder, without the chit=chat. They deal with hundreds of people a day. A little reminder jolts them out of their morass. When they plug in the HH# and see you have 800K in the bank, it wakes them up (a bit) YMMV
Old Mar 28, 2006, 11:39 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond, MR Silver
Talking

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I was rather startled last week when the check-in clerk greeted me with: "Welcome back, Mr. Scrounger!" I had stayed there one night, three years earlier (HGI North @ SFO).
I got that recently at a hotel I had NEVER satyed at before, so who knows.

I also just checked in to the Embassy Suites in Anaheim and had a letter waiting for me in the room that said I was a diamond (which I'm not yet, I'm still gold).

Old Mar 29, 2006, 4:06 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by rwill11
they always need your credit card no matter what
Not if you use e-checkin. The last two stays I had (in Cincinnati and Harrisburg), I used e-checkin and I did not show my credit card at all!
Old Mar 29, 2006, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by holtju2
Ah, but does it show the Rolling Tier and EXPLAIN it?
Old Mar 29, 2006, 9:49 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by rwill11
..... always place your Diamond card or whatever on top....
Thats exactly what I do at properties where I am not a regular or at a property where I do not recognize the check-in agent! LOL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.