Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton London Metropole {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2020, 11:37 am

Programs: none
I'm considering this property for our stay in March, but with a lot of bad reviews, I'm not sure if I should be staying with a Hilton at all. This is our first time in London, and we'd like to stay within our budget. Would you say this place is better for a family of our, or we should just book with Premier Inn County Hall instead? Thanks for any inputs.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 2:01 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by hieunha
I'm considering this property for our stay in March, but with a lot of bad reviews, I'm not sure if I should be staying with a Hilton at all. This is our first time in London, and we'd like to stay within our budget. Would you say this place is better for a family of our, or we should just book with Premier Inn County Hall instead? Thanks for any inputs.
I think you'd need to be more precise as to what you are looking for here. The Premier Inn is very much "what you see is what you get". A clean bedroom, limited hotel facilities, well run. The Metropole is a full service hotel with facilities like room service. I would expect the Premier Inn to be significantly cheaper, you get what you pay for. I understand the poor reviews - it's a big hotel - at one stage it was the largest hotel in the UK - and if you're looking for personal touches or a boutique experience, you're not going to get it here. But if there are 4 of you and you book 2 adjoining room in the West Wing (or just one twin room if the children are small) then you should be fine.

County Hall does have a lot on its doorstep, you will be able to walk to many places quite easily. Metropole is better connected for public transport and sights like Oxford Street.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 3:10 pm

Programs: none
Thanks for the quick reply. Husband's a Hilton Diamond member, so we're hoping to stay at a Hilton facility for its perks. We are considering the 2 queens bedroom (not sure which side of the hotel we should request for?), as the kids are aged 6-8. I'm not sure if we can access other places easily, such as the London Eye, etc.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

The Metropole is handy to Edgeware Road underground stations offering good links to London ( no matter where you stay you will likely have to use the underground at sometime. Lounge/breakfast access can save a bit of money over a few days . I would also keep looking if prices fell at other hiltons ( ie Tower Bridge and Bankside get good reviews)

Regards

TBS
Lefly likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 4:27 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Thanks for the quick reply. Husband's a Hilton Diamond member, so we're hoping to stay at a Hilton facility for its perks. We are considering the 2 queens bedroom (not sure which side of the hotel we should request for?), as the kids are aged 6-8..
You would want the West Wing. The rooms are fairly large by London standards and most of them have a pair of queen or king beds in them. There are other Hiltons with lounge + decent breakfast. Bankside is definitely the better hotel, but not as well located. Conrad and Waldorf Hilton are very well located, but will doubtless be more expensive. Hilton or DT Tower Bridge are perhaps other options. For leftfield thinking, consider the Hyde Park Hilton or DT, neither have lounges but the park right on the doorstep may be very handy for the children. On the other hand most of these ideas involve smaller rooms than Metropole West Wing. But see the main Hiltons in London thread for more details and insights.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 6:21 pm

Programs: hhonors diamond
Thanks for the quick reply. Husband's a Hilton Diamond member, so we're hoping to stay at a Hilton facility for its perks. We are considering the 2 queens bedroom (not sure which side of the hotel we should request for?), as the kids are aged 6-8. I'm not sure if we can access other places easily, such as the London Eye, etc.
If you do book the metropole just be aware that the Executive lounge has a no children policy.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 6:12 am

Originally Posted by wizla
If you do book the metropole just be aware that the Executive lounge has a no children policy.
I think this is only during certain time periods, like after 6PM? I did see children in the lounge frequently while at the Metropole this past August but things may have changed.

Also the Metropole has a pool, which may make a difference for younger children.

3 out of my 4 stays at the Metropole have been in the refurbished West Wing rooms. I find them nice and spacious, a high floor provides nice views.

Breakfast in the restaurant downstairs provides a large variety and a large number of options for children (lounge breakfast is much more limited). And as the_banking_scot point out, the breakfast and lounge benefits do result in a savings.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 11:36 am

Programs: hhonors diamond
Originally Posted by rsqrott
I think this is only during certain time periods, like after 6PM? I did see children in the lounge frequently while at the Metropole this past August but things may have changed.

Also the Metropole has a pool, which may make a difference for younger children.

3 out of my 4 stays at the Metropole have been in the refurbished West Wing rooms. I find them nice and spacious, a high floor provides nice views.

Breakfast in the restaurant downstairs provides a large variety and a large number of options for children (lounge breakfast is much more limited). And as the_banking_scot point out, the breakfast and lounge benefits do result in a savings.
Yes you are correct, it’s after 6pm it’s adults only, I checked.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 3:36 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Diamond, Hilton Gold,
Ahead of my stay I received a welcome email from the hotel outlining what services were available. The executive lounge was closed but drinks and a Bento box were provided at the bar. Two drinks, wine/beer/spirit and a mixer were available per person. The email didn't state a time this was offered but when I arrived back at the hotel at 815pm I was advised by the waiter they could provide the drinks but there the chef had gone home so the Bento box could be a problem. He said he would see what he could do and asked to see the email I received so that the welcome email could be updated Two Bento boxes arrived about 10 minutes later. The idea that there was no chef seemed a little odd as the bar was serving hot food.

I requested an early check in and late check out when I replied to the welcome email. I received an email back saying this was highly likely as they lots of spare rooms available around my booking date. When I checked in the receptionist said there were no upgrades for the type of room I had booked but she could give med two refurbished rooms on the 18th floor with good views looking over London. This was a nice room and had 2 large bottles of water in each room.The gym and pool were open. You have to book by email or phone an hour slot at the pool. The gym is capacity controlled but when I looked there was only one person using it so access should be ok.

Breakfast was in a conference room with a cold selection of items wrapped in cling film or in glass lidded containers and a good range of hot food. It was well organised and as more people arrived they set up a second hot station to keep the queues short.

It was a good stay. If you like a good range of beers try the Brewdog pub beside the quay - leave by the Harbet Street entrance. There are a good range of restaurants including ones on moored boats if you continue walking down the side of the canal.

Overall we enjoyed the stay.

Bento box
Old Sep 22, 2020, 2:34 am

Decided to try the hotel as low rates(£70 to 80 for either Friday or Sunday night one night stays recently)
First stay one level upgrade from superior room to high floor and then subsequent stays upgrades to various tripe of suites prior to arrival - Presidental Suite twice (very very dated ) Octagon Suite on low floor on Edgware Rd which gets very noisy from traffic and police from nearby station .
Last stay Studio Suite in 14th floor which is now by preferred room . It has own kitchen (with a dishwasher ! ) large lounge and bedroom and more updated decor than the other suites
Enjoying the replacement Exec Lounge facilities and staff generally accommodate any drink requests - bento boxes have been good and varied and even had extra food to compliment them (staff now recognise us !) subsequent glasses are replenished throughout two official hours and beyond ! Complimentary cold soft drinks all day
Breakfast is good - staff have again been efficient and friendly Good Buffett selection hot and cold and made to order hot food (omelettes and poached eggs we’ve ordered have been excellent ! ) Again after a few stays we are welcomed back and received takeaway bag of pastries, teas and fruit nice gesture )
Hoping to return this Sunday and will post stay update !
Old Sep 22, 2020, 3:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don’t find the “Bento boxes” to be impressive. They will cost at least a couple of quid, of which I’d rather they spent on actual food than crisps and peanuts. Seems like a vanity.
:D! likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2020, 4:53 am

Programs: Hilton Honors diamond
I’m very impressed by the way they are replacing lounge benifits, soft drinks all day and evening drinks plus nibbles. Glad you’re enjoying your stays there.
Old Sep 22, 2020, 4:54 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by maxandclaude2000
Decided to try the hotel as low rates(£70 to 80 for either Friday or Sunday night one night stays recently)
First stay one level upgrade from superior room to high floor and then subsequent stays upgrades to various tripe of suites prior to arrival - Presidental Suite twice (very very dated ) Octagon Suite on low floor on Edgware Rd which gets very noisy from traffic and police from nearby station .
Last stay Studio Suite in 14th floor which is now by preferred room . It has own kitchen (with a dishwasher ! ) large lounge and bedroom and more updated decor than the other suites
Enjoying the replacement Exec Lounge facilities and staff generally accommodate any drink requests - bento boxes have been good and varied and even had extra food to compliment them (staff now recognise us !) subsequent glasses are replenished throughout two official hours and beyond ! Complimentary cold soft drinks all day
Breakfast is good - staff have again been efficient and friendly Good Buffett selection hot and cold and made to order hot food (omelettes and poached eggs we’ve ordered have been excellent ! ) Again after a few stays we are welcomed back and received takeaway bag of pastries, teas and fruit nice gesture )
Hoping to return this Sunday and will post stay update !
Thanks for the update. Considering a few nights here for a family trip at half term holidays, subject to any ramping up of lockdown etc. I always found the hotel to be ok with upgrades and had the Octagon suites a few times and your comments about the noise were my experience of them too. I tend to prefer the larger rooms in the newer tower as they are more modern and better soundproofed.

Good to hear that breakfast is good and it is nice that they are at least trying to replace the lounge with drinks and the bento boxes. I always found the lounge here to be a little underwhelming, so I'd almost argue that the drinks and box are a step up from what I remembered.

Hope you have a good stay again this weekend.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 12:19 pm

Stayed last week and preupgraded to Studio Suite
Major renovations have started resulting in the bar and breakfast being temporarily relocated to the first floor ballroom in the West Wing
Had the last night in the ground floor bar for the complimentary drinks and bento box from 6pm to 8pm
Was given some rose champagne by manager instead of Processco - think six glasses hic lol
Bento box was varied again and good snack sample
Breakfast has now changed to a very limited hot Buffett (eggs,hash browns , sausages ,beans and tomatoes )
Reduced section of pastries and fruit . Fruit juice is pre bottled . Teas coffees and water good selection .
Now charging for additional prepared hot food (!)
Service was attentive and given a bag to take pastries
Suites now been renovated as are other areas to be completed by next summer
Planning another stay next weekend and will update
RAPC, chrism20 and wizla like this.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I suppose the legacy upgrade reflects the closing of most inventory.

The Bento boxes cost at least £1 and more if they’re re-usable, I’d rather they spent it on food and put it on plates.
:D! likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.