Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Prague {CZE}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2023, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by the810
the beer is the cheapest crap they could find (Staropramen) - quite a disgrace when you're in Prague....
This is sort of an odd rant...the Staropramen brewery is in...Prague. Are there many better, smaller-batch beers from artisanal producers? Sure. But it's a recognized locally-produced international brand that I would not call a "disgrace". Maybe more of a "safe bet". It's also definitely not the cheapest thing you can find in that market; just go to a BILLA and look at the lowest shelves.
Old Nov 13, 2023, 10:26 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by arlflyer
This is sort of an odd rant...the Staropramen brewery is in...Prague. Are there many better, smaller-batch beers from artisanal producers? Sure. But it's a recognized locally-produced international brand that I would not call a "disgrace". Maybe more of a "safe bet". It's also definitely not the cheapest thing you can find in that market; just go to a BILLA and look at the lowest shelves.
I know Staropramen is based in Prague but it's just a local variation of the generic Heineken nonsense with terrible taste, which is basically designed for people who don't like beer. I'm not saying they need to go for expensive craft beer, my point is exactly that there are many excellent mainstream beers with great taste in Czechia. I can understand poor beer offer somewhere in Turkey or Spain, but not in Prague. Something like Pilsner Urquell, or even Radegast or Kozel would be entirely appropriate and within a reasonable budget (Pilsner retails for 1€ per half litre and I assume a huge hotel like this could get it significantly cheaper). I know very few people who like Staropramen and there's a good reason why it's only offered in restaurants where beer isn't the focus and it's only offered for the few odd people who don't drink wine.

I don't think it's a safe bet. More like good corporate contract and management not caring. They even do Heineken-owned beers in the beer pub at the hotel. It's absolutely legit to offer such beer of course, just as it is legit for me to not like it Mind you, my review is overwhelmingly positive and I absolutely loved the hotel. I'm not saying it's a huge deal. But it's a pity to not offer something better in the beer capital of the world.

Last edited by the810; Nov 13, 2023 at 10:38 am
Old Nov 13, 2023, 11:05 am

I'm sure contracting and the distribution model has plenty to do with it, but it's also a simple choice in an international tourist / business hotel as the most globally-known of beers actually produced in Prague proper. Most people who are in the Czech Republic and are as passionate about beer as you (and I, to be clear) are will not be drinking in a hotel lounge, but will more likely be out looking for the good stuff. So if the property tried harder, it may well be lost on many folks who are content to drink a simple macro brewed right across the river.

Or, maybe they are getting it for free for promotional value.
Old Dec 25, 2023, 2:22 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
They no longer do Jelínek brandy as a welcome gift, instead I got a coupon for 3 items from the minibar. Probably an improvement for most people, though I liked the previous option a bit more. The coupon mentions the number of guests on it, but T&Cs state it's valid per room (not per person). Kinda weird?

Edit: I just had a closer look on the voucher, the minibar is just one of several options you can choose from:
  • Three items from minibar (per room)
  • Beer tasting set at the beer pub* (for each guest)
  • Glass of wine, beer or a soft drink at the 24/7 café (for each guest)
  • Free cocktail at the rooftop bar (for each guest)
  • 15% spa discount (for each guest)
Pretty nice if you ask me * As I commented above, the hotel has a contract with Staropramen and even the Hop House sells their generic crap, so I'd recommend to skip this option. The idea of even offering a tasting of various beers from Staropramen sounds very silly to me.

Christmas dinner in the lounge was lovely yesterday, with the traditional Czech items - schnitzel, potato mayonnaise salad (also available in vegan alternative) and cukroví. Also nádivka, which I never heard of, and which was actually described as an Easter food in Czech language. As always, there was also a wannabe Asian option, which was spring rolls. They had "a spicy sauce" out next to it, which was actually a sweet chilli sauce and not spicy at all. There is Tabasco available on request from the staff, which is a good alternative.

Some people clearly enjoyed it and went into full Christmas mode, filling their table with all the different items. Others, like an American couple sitting next to us apparently felt a bit ... about the food Food quality was good according to my friend - no comment from me since I ate a lot earlier in the day, so I only came for cukroví and Becherovka 😃

Last edited by the810; Dec 25, 2023 at 3:44 am
Old Dec 25, 2023, 11:40 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

cookies look great
Old Dec 26, 2023, 6:34 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Where the hell is kapr?
the810 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.