Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Baker's Cay Resort Key Largo, Curio Collection by Hilton {US-FL} (formerly Hilton)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Baker's Cay Resort Key Largo, Curio Collection by Hilton {US-FL} (formerly Hilton)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2010, 5:45 pm

Programs: AMEX, Hyatt, AA
Our stay

Well, my family just returned from 4 nights at the Key Largo Hilton. As many on here and Tripadvisor reported, it was a mixed experience. Some of the service was very good, but some was quite poor. A decent percentage of employees seemed disinterested. Last year we stayed on Marco Island and were much more impressed there.
Also, at this hotel, the rooms are mediocre. The front desk did give us two beds and continental breakfast, and waived the $12/day parking. In my opinion, the hotel is ok, but not what I would consider a category 7 property.
By the way, is it common for the continental breakfast to be some fruit, coffee and pastry? At other locations, the free breakfast coupons entitled us to everything on the buffet except the hot items.
Old Aug 8, 2010, 8:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, HYATT DIA
Good but NOT a CAT 6

So I just returned from a 2 night getaway at the Hilton Key Largo and I thought I would share some experiences. I stayed midweek and it was still pretty busy. The beach which is nice but small was always full. Sure there were plenty of beach chairs but that used up more beach. There are watercraft for rent there but the prices were a bit steep. There are plenty of places nearby where there prices are 50% lower. However, it is nice to be able to just walk from your room.

The property is nice and the rooms were nice. However, this, IMO, is not a category 6 property. I guess they received that ranking because they are on the water. The amenities and service, for what I expect in a Cat 6 just were not there. Every one was friendly and nice, but no real attention to detail.

First, I arrived at 3:10 to be surprised that check in was not until 4 and my room was not ready. So, I waited in the lobby until 4. No one bothered to come get me, rather, she said I could check back as often as I wanted. Also, during my stay I left at 11 and returned at 3 only to find that they had not gotten to my room. My sense was that they are short staffed.

A small detail but no lotion in the room. Kind of a shocker since even HIs have lotion. The dorky music they play property wide is something from a bad summer film sound track. You can hear it into the rooms so it can be a little annoying. The beds were a bit stiff, but the pillows, linens and such were traditional Hilton fare.

I gave up my free continental breakfast vouchers for internet. I figure the Waffle house down the road would be fine and it surely was! The $14 parking fee (+tax) was a bit steep. Funny, because the parking decals say it is a $12/day charge. I thought I could make a big stink but did not.

Would I return? - sure! But I will also check out the Hampton Inn down the street. Since they have free, parking and breakfast, there may be better value especially if you are willing to drive a few minutes to a nearby beach (if they do not have one).
Old Aug 8, 2010, 12:00 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Thanks a lot for the detailed report, JAFU007! ^ We almost stayed there in May during a long weekend dive trip but ended up back at our old standard, the cheaper (in every way) Holiday Inn Key Largo.

Didn't know they charge for parking at the Hilton - that's ridiculous.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 3:26 pm

Stayed in Aug 2010

So my wife and I took off to Florida from Colorado in August, stayed one day at the Doubletree in Key West, and 6 nights in Key Largo on a GLONP type award. I'm a gold member for reference, so I don't have the diamond experience. I was given the choice of internet or breakfast, and took breakfast for free. Apparently starting in Sept breakfast and internet will be free, but not quite when we got there. The breakfast had free internet however, so if you showed up and ate, you could register and use the internet free all day anyway.

The short story is that the hotel was a great place to use as a staging area to visit the Everglades, Key West, and do some snorkeling. We had a fantastic time, and the hotel wasn't a bad deal. However most the general statements made by others stand. The parking was too expensive, the beaches were a bit small, and the food selection on site wasn't amazing. The rooms are cleaned late in the day, and available late also.

The upside was that the hotel waterfront is very enclosed, the water was fantastic, and the beaches were very relaxing. The breakfast was tasty, and we had an excellent time overall. The hotel has really good atmosphere with the private beaches and long tree-lined entrance. We found the staff to be accommodating, and had no problems with anything to speak of. The pool and hot tub had no towels for a while one night, but that wasn't much of an ordeal, inasmuch as we survived being wet.

The beaches - there are two beaches, West and East. West was hammocks and lounge chairs, and felt much more secluded. East was along the pier, and nearer the rental place. The vibe on the east beach was much more family, with a ping-pong table and the beach bar. There were lizards everywhere on land, and fish everywhere in the water. Someone even caught a few lobsters. The water was glasslike at night, with a full moon it was incredible.

I honestly am not sure how the Hampton could compete with the feel of the place, it might have similar accommodations room-wise but the secluded, rainforesty feel of the Hilton as well as the private beaches made it a really great place to relax. I can't say it was a destination by itself, but we spent a couple days just reading on the beach and relaxing, and it was a worthwhile way to spend some points.

Incidentally, the trip to the Dry Tortugas was totally worthwhile, as was snorkeling at Pennekamp state park.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 10:02 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
Nice hotel but not a resort

Unfortunately when we stayed the "North Beach" was closed for resanding but there was no work carried out while we were there.

We were upgraded to an Ocean facing room which was OK but the room felt a little small compared to other hotels, including Hampton Inn, Islamorado. The hotel was very, very quiet - if I had to guess I would say 25% occupied.

Staff were all very nice and very helpful - they weren't very busy so I guess they were happy to have someone to talk to. There are 2 PC's just off from the reception which are useful - didn't see any other business facilities.

The buffet breakfast was excellent and the service was very good. Great to be sitting outside in the tree tops enjoying a leisurely breakfast and watching the ocean.

Highlight for my wife was the manatees swimming around the boat dock just before sunset.

When we checked out we were told we wouldn't be charged for parking for being HHonors members and because the hotel was so quiet.

Overall a nice hotel but it's a bit of a stretch to call it a resort when there are so few facilities.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 3:16 pm

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
Originally Posted by BAGoldBoy
Unfortunately when we stayed the "North Beach" was closed for resanding but there was no work carried out while we were there.

We were upgraded to an Ocean facing room which was OK but the room felt a little small compared to other hotels, including Hampton Inn, Islamorado. The hotel was very, very quiet - if I had to guess I would say 25% occupied.

Staff were all very nice and very helpful - they weren't very busy so I guess they were happy to have someone to talk to. There are 2 PC's just off from the reception which are useful - didn't see any other business facilities.

The buffet breakfast was excellent and the service was very good. Great to be sitting outside in the tree tops enjoying a leisurely breakfast and watching the ocean.

Highlight for my wife was the manatees swimming around the boat dock just before sunset.

When we checked out we were told we wouldn't be charged for parking for being HHonors members and because the hotel was so quiet.

Overall a nice hotel but it's a bit of a stretch to call it a resort when there are so few facilities.
I just visited here for one night on my way to Key West. As HH Gold, upgrade to ocean view, top floor (the alternative is looking at a parking lot or trees).
Complimentary continental Breakfast, upgrade for $5 per person to full berakfast. Free internet, wifi works on beach! I did have to pay for parking, asked if waived due to HH, no, had to pay $14 per night. No Exec lounge or managers reception.

I do consider it a full amenity resort (has everything you would expect in a larger resort), it is just small, but it has everything. It is intimate, not the mega resort feel. It is for sure lacking in dinner options, but fortunately there are tons of choices in the area.

Premium Reward at 23K was a bargain!
Old Feb 11, 2012, 7:13 am

Programs: Hhonors Gold, SPG Gold, US Dividend Miles Silver
Heading back to Key largo hilton in 30 days for a repeat of our march break sneak-away last year.
Hotel is essentially an old doubletree i think.
Keys rooms are like the embassy suites rooms from the 1990's/2000's.
Request a corner keys room which gets you a wrap around balcony.
Like other posters, we found it quiet too...most key's travellers are heading to key west...i think people usually only overnight here.
We (me, mrs anvil and 2 kids 9 and 12) loved it.
Manatee comes to the dock during the afternoon, a mile or so from Pennekamp for incredible snorkelling 5 miles offshore.
It's not the waldorf, but it honestly one of our faves.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 8:24 am

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by celticanvil
It's not the waldorf, but it honestly one of our faves.
My sentiments exactly! We have stayed here three times and would come back again, always a good experience for us.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 11:18 am

Programs: DL Platinum, HH Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Executive
I thought it was very nice...

My wife and I just went last October and as a diamond, we were put into the 4th floor corner room - seperate bedroom and whirlpool spa - sliding glass doors opened completely up so you had the entire room open to the ocean - beautiful layout - we got complimentary breakfast, never paid for parking, and free WIFI. Both my wife and I enjoyed the less hectic beaches and crowds. It may not be for everyone, but we thought the service and amenties were great. I'd go back in heartbeat. Not sure if it was because I'm a diamond, but I did use hhonor points. We had a rental car so getting down to key west or any of the other islands was not a big deal.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 3:35 am
Original Member

Does anyone here have any recent update on Mosquitoes at this property? Over on tripadvisor, a number of reports state a problem. I always take TA with a pinch of salt, finding reviews on FT tend to be more accurate. However our fair british skin makes good Mosquito food, and I would rather not start a 3 week vacation covered in calamine lotion !!!
Old Jun 24, 2012, 5:27 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
Originally Posted by Tim_T
Does anyone here have any recent update on Mosquitoes at this property? Over on tripadvisor, a number of reports state a problem. I always take TA with a pinch of salt, finding reviews on FT tend to be more accurate. However our fair british skin makes good Mosquito food, and I would rather not start a 3 week vacation covered in calamine lotion !!!
I am usually the centre of attention for any mosquitoes and I can't recall having any problem while we were there. I do use the sonic mosquito repeller that BA sell on board - works for me.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 7:18 am

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
Originally Posted by Tim_T
When are you going? Depending on the time of year, populations may vary. I was there in december and I did not see one single bug. A quick google search might help you figure that out. Regardles, if you are concerned, call the hotel and take plenty of repellent, not just the off spray, but the concentrated DEET liquid which works like a charm (i took it to the amazon and it was great)...you can buy that at taget, etc
Old Jun 26, 2012, 1:29 am
Original Member

Hilton Key Largo Beach Resort

4weeks and 4 days, not that I'm counting!
Old Jun 28, 2012, 11:51 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, WN RR
Lucky you. Our trip to EYW last week was spoiled by TS Debby (and we stayed at the Reach, which was disappointing. More on that in the appropriate thread.)
Old Jul 29, 2012, 1:56 pm
Original Member

One night at Key Largo on the way up to Key West.

Happy with the stay. Staff were friendly. Had booked a water view room, and had a room on the top floor with great views over the bay. Parking was comp'd. 2 x continental breakfasts which we upgraded for 5usd to full buffet.

Location was great. The beach area is small, but opened out on to a bay that was shallow and with clear water. Perfect for kids.

No problem with mossies !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.