Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Baker's Cay Resort Key Largo, Curio Collection by Hilton {US-FL} (formerly Hilton)

Baker's Cay Resort Key Largo, Curio Collection by Hilton {US-FL} (formerly Hilton)

Old Jan 17, 06, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

Arrow Baker's Cay Resort Key Largo, Curio Collection by Hilton {US-FL} (formerly Hilton)

Apparently there is a Doubletree about to open in Key Largo, FL, according to hilton.com. Anyone have details? I did not find anything on a search. Perhaps I'm overlooking something.
Old Jan 17, 06, 3:44 pm
MSP

Programs: NW Worldperks, AAdvantage, HHonors, SPG, National EC
Was in the Keys the week of Christmas, and didn't see any hint of a Doubletree opening. Looks like the Hampton Islamorada is it for HHonors properties in the Upper/middle keys right now.
Old Jan 17, 06, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

Former HoJo

I called the phone number listed on the Hilton website. It is the number for the Howard Johnson. The message says the property is undergoing a renovation and will re-open in February '06, which correlates with the info on the Hilton website.

I haven't stayed at a HoJos in 20 years. I imagine it would need quite a bit of renovation to fit in with Doubletree standards.
Old Jan 17, 06, 7:13 pm
MSP

Programs: NW Worldperks, AAdvantage, HHonors, SPG, National EC
Well, there is definitely a former HoJo down there, but it's in pretty rough shape right now. There were construction dumpsters out front, awnings rotting away under vegitation, gated off entrances when we drove by. Hopefully they'll clean it up to a decent standard. For some reason I doubt that they will, though: it's tough to go from HoJo to DT without major remodeling.
Old Jan 19, 06, 9:40 am

Programs: HH Diamond, NWA
Originally Posted by glenngpr
I haven't stayed at a HoJos in 20 years. I imagine it would need quite a bit of renovation to fit in with Doubletree standards.
"DoubleTree standards" seem to vary a lot, some of them need a lot of work so it wouldn't surprise me if that old HoJos becomes one.

BTW - the Hampton in Islamorads is nice, and so is the DT in Key West
Old Jan 23, 06, 8:05 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AAGold, SW-RR, HertzGold, Marriott, Starwood-Plat
Originally Posted by arctictraveler
"DoubleTree standards" seem to vary a lot, some of them need a lot of work so it wouldn't surprise me if that old HoJos becomes one.

BTW - the Hampton in Islamorads is nice, and so is the DT in Key West
Stayed at both properties last summer and:

DT Key West reminds me of an apt complex far away from the Key West action which can be nice for some....Pool was totally cool though! Got a small 1-br apt style room with a neat patio overlooking the pool but the bedroom was "cavelike" as it was an interior room with no natural light - perhaps for storm safety?!?!?!

HI Islamorada was OK and has a dock & onsite dive-shop but no sand/beach of it's own....got a water view room on the end of the hall which was cool!
Old Jun 24, 06, 7:07 pm

Programs: Alas, the Gravy Train Hath Ended...just happy to be an OW Sapphire and a ST Ivory...whatever
I just checked the DT Key Largo site, and it stated that it would begin accepting reservations for January 2007 -- however there is a note stating that the restaurant would be closed until August. Huh? August 2006 or 2007? There are no good photos or anything, so does anyone have news on this? Barring this hotel opening in the next few months, does anyone have a recommendation for a hotel in the upper keys?
Old Jun 26, 06, 8:33 am

Programs: AA, HH, SPG
drive by

Not sure when you need your info, but I plan on driving thru this area to the keys on 7/8. If I remember and can convince my S.O., we'll stop in and get the scoop.

Last edited by Racefan6; Jun 26, 06 at 8:34 am Reason: spelling error
Old Jun 26, 06, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by theblakefish
I just checked the DT Key Largo site, and it stated that it would begin accepting reservations for January 2007 -- however there is a note stating that the restaurant would be closed until August. Huh? August 2006 or 2007? There are no good photos or anything, so does anyone have news on this? Barring this hotel opening in the next few months, does anyone have a recommendation for a hotel in the upper keys?
Uh, I think there is an error with the Jan '07 date. I made a reservation through Hilton's website last month for late July (2006) at this property. Maybe I should call the DD and make sure I'm going to get full credit for my stay.
Old Jun 26, 06, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, the Diamond Desk said that according to their info, this property is opening on July 17th (2006). I arrive a few days later, so this should be interesting.
Old Jun 26, 06, 6:07 pm

Programs: Alas, the Gravy Train Hath Ended...just happy to be an OW Sapphire and a ST Ivory...whatever
This property has tweaked my interest, as it would really fit my travel plans well on 8/7, so I called the hotel directly. It used to be the HoJo back in the day, but they are finishing a multi-million dollar renovation over the past few months.

The front desk attendant told me that their rates will be approximately $250 in the low season, $400 in the high season. The DT will include a spa, fitness center, new pool, and she said that they now have a "breathtaking" beach area. Also, it is now set to open on July 24th, and neither the hotel nor HH will not have rates or the ability to make reservations until after that date.

Sounds like it will be a real destination, but I guess that land is at a premium down there or HH wouldn't have taken over a HoJo!
Old Jun 27, 06, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by theblakefish
Also, it is now set to open on July 24th, and neither the hotel nor HH will not have rates or the ability to make reservations until after that date.
Really? Hmm. I wonder how I was able to get a confirmed reservation for July 20th on the HH site?

I wonder how soon they will inform me (if at all) that they won't be able to accomodate my reservation. Better start working on plan "B", I guess.
Old Jun 27, 06, 10:10 am

I just did a search, and now I can't even get it to display on HH.com for 8/7.
Old Jul 5, 06, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FWIW, I just called the hotel and they confirmed that they have my reservation on file, and that they WILL be open on July 20th when I arrive. They also confirmed that they upgraded me to a bayfront room.

He said that the back half of the resort is open, but they are still working on the front half--lobby and restaurant.
Old Jul 6, 06, 8:50 am

They also will be a 40,000 point reward catagory...yea.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: