Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Conrad Miami {US-FL}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2018, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
In addition to the stay I posted about here, I decided to give the hotel another try. Check in was by a very competent and genial member of the staff and I was upgraded to a a corner room (my previous stay I was upgraded from a city view room to a bay view room). Again, no water but 2 small bottles were available in the room. I did not receive an invite to the reception as shkotz did but was told when I asked that any diamond member staying in the hotel may attend. When I tried to head down to the wine room I was stopped by a member of staff and told that area was reserved for a private party; after determining that my name was not on the invite list I was allowed to attend as I was a diamond member.

I did not receive the list of diamond benefits and was not provided a free drink during either of my stays although I did pay for a couple.

The reception was attended by a member of management and was similar to the old reception although with less edibles. I enjoyed talking with the attendees. At least one invitee to the reception was not staying in the hotel but may have had business with the hotel.

The continental breakfast buffet remained quite limited in the offerings.

The hotel seems to be in transition and management seems to be trying to reduce costs and find its way.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 9:11 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
Which one for a 7 night stay as (g) couple. This or Bentley South Beach?
Old Jan 22, 2019, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by TTL
Which one for a 7 night stay as (g) couple. This or Bentley South Beach?
They are located in two very different areas but for seven days I would opt for the Bentley and South Beach. For shorter stays, I would also probably opt for the Bentley when choosing between the two considering the issues that the Conrad has been having the last year.

I had another stay at the Conrad in November. The concierge desk on the ground floor remains unmanned. Check in was somewhat friendly but my room wasn't ready at 130 pm (which is fair, I was early). After some prompting they provided me a key for the fitness center so I could workout and shower at the spa. I had to ask for water and a list of the diamond benefits that they only occasionally provide to guests. After some prompting and pointing to the card that listed the benefit, they provided a free drink coupon.

There were another couple of people at the spa also using the facilities as their rooms were also not ready. After a quick run and short workout in the gym, the spa manager at the desk mentioned the discount provided for Conrad guests and after a hard day/week/month and still no sign of the room being available, I decided to go with a treatment. I'm not really a spa guy but the therapist was excellent and I really felt a lot better and no longer seemed to care that my room still wasn't available. The spa manager provided a couple more drink coupons to apologize for the room not being available even after the treatment.

About 430pm, while sitting in the lobby I finally received a text that the room was ready; I received a standard upgrade to a bay view room.

The continental breakfast offerings provided for Diamonds were still quite meager.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 12:23 pm

Have had some stays here so can provide my perspective...

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
They are located in two very different areas but for seven days I would opt for the Bentley and South Beach.
Agree depending upon some details - actually I would probably split the difference and do sometime in South Beach and some time in Brickell, or further out if it is a leisure trip (Keys, etc.).

I had another stay at the Conrad in November. The concierge desk on the ground floor remains unmanned.
Still the case.

The continental breakfast offerings provided for Diamonds were still quite meager.
As of these days it is a $15 F&B credit usable at the restaurant, room service, etc. They are very proactive about applying it, in my experience.

issues that the Conrad has been having the last year
There are some new managers and I have had good experiences with them - very professional and taking significant steps to serve the customer. The physical space is still not going to match higher-end luxury properties such as the JW Marquis, MO, or any of the Ritz properties. I have been told a renovation is in store for later this year. Not sure what exactly it will entail as obviously some things cannot be changed (thinking of the two-elevator setup).

Overall this is a decent property - not super high end but they are trying hard. That being said it is also often priced in the middle of the market - I have seen rates at $300 when the South Beach Properties, JWM, etc. were $500+.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 1:21 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
Thanks for valuable insights! Hilton Bentley it will then be.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 10:50 am

Programs: DL Diamond/1MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Any recent updates on the breakfast benefit for Diamonds? I'm looking to stay here in June, hopefully in the downtown area (going to some ballgames and Biscayne NP). Also looking at the Curio, Hilton, and Doubletree.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 11:29 am

$15/person/night last I was there. Basically thought of it as a discount on room service rather than a real breakfast.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 10:36 am

Programs: *G, VS Silver, HH Diamond
I'll post some updates with photos after I check out tomorrow. But for now, some notes. I've been here for about a week. The renovation is complete - it's a lovely bar and dining area. There are a few anomalies at the bar (no charging ports or purse hooks under the main bar) but nothing horrible.

This hotel hosts a LOT of conventions and cruise guests. Large groups have been here every day.

As for diamond benefits, they've been proactive with breakfast being either $15 off the a la carte menu or offering the continental option. My beverages have all been included. There is an 18% service charge included on all checks - breakfast, lunch, dinner. This seems far to me given how many international guests they have who may not be familiar with US tipping culture. They gave me a coupon to use a the bar when I checked in. There are two small bottles of water in the room in the drawer with part of the coffee/tea service supplies. They are not replaced and I find them insufficient. However, more may sometimes be acquired from the gym or sauna...

I've had several meals here. The food is good. Very fresh. Service isn't polished per se but friendly, cordial, respectful, kind, relaxed. The wine list is decent.

They are very helpful with making sure that you get to where you are going because at first this place could certainly be a little confusing given the multiple elevator situation. And then the pool being in a separate building altogether.

The location is incredibly convenient for many things like the Metrorail and Metromover plus the Brickell area, several consulates, access to Key Biscayne and Virginia Key, etc. I'm not driving in Miami so the proximity to the Metrorail has been invaluable. I took public transit the entire way from Fort Lauderdale airport (TriRail, Metrorail, Metromover). The Metrorail station isn't actually far but if you're toting luggage, it's worth changing stations at Government Centre station or Brickell station as the walk over from the Financial District Metromover station is significantly closer than Brickell Metrorail station. The entire trip costs ~$6 one way. You must buy a ticket for the Tri-Rail at the ticket office or the machine. One of the machines has the capability to take cards and cash - but when trying to use the card functions, it just won't work. Use the card only machine. The Metrorail takes NFC payments or you can get a physical card. I've not attempted to use the contactless payment system yet but there's still plenty of time. For a cost comparison (if you're actually doing this to save money): an Uber to FLL starts around $30, to MIA is $14. The Metrorail to MIA I think is $2.25. The Metromover is free to use. It took me about an hour and a half which is significantly longer than by car - but it's also without crazy Miami driving.

I actually chose to stay here because of this particular location feature given that I don't drive in many places - especially Miami. While I don't necessarily need to save cash on renting a car or ride shares, something about Miami drivers is particularly anxiety inducing so I'm apt to try to avoid Uber/Lyft as well. So, this has been particularly helpful.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by AStarr
I actually chose to stay here because of this particular location feature given that I don't drive in many places - especially Miami.
Don't forget about the trolley network as well! It's quiet extensive, free, and runs regularly. From Brickell, the Little Havana, Coral Gables, and Brickell (to Coconut Grove) routes are particularly useful, and the Wynwood loop connects at the School Board metromover station.

Live tracker and system map available at https://www.miamigov.com/Services/Tr...rolley-Tracker (click "Trolley Tracker" link at bottom for live map).
AStarr likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by arlflyer
Don't forget about the trolley network as well! It's quiet extensive, free, and runs regularly. From Brickell, the Little Havana, Coral Gables, and Brickell (to Coconut Grove) routes are particularly useful, and the Wynwood loop connects at the School Board metromover station.

Live tracker and system map available at https://www.miamigov.com/Services/Tr...rolley-Tracker (click "Trolley Tracker" link at bottom for live map).
Yes! I'll be getting more into that this week most likely as hopefully I'll have less work to do and more time for fun things.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 11:09 am

So, in addition to the comments above that I had regarding location and convenience with public transit, here are photos and some more notes.

I had a 6 night stay booked last minute fully on points. Supposedly this was an upgrade (bay view). It was very windy on some nights and therefore quite loud. I don't mind such noise tbh but others may not appreciate it or need earplugs. This was my first Conrad stay. To be honest, I had high expectations... and they were... fine. I've been living in Europe for several years now and it's always a bit of a mental surprise every time I go back to the US in regards to certain things. For instance, being given a check at breakfast when it's included in my bill, for instance. Here, we're given a $15USD credit or complimentary continental. Either one results in being given a check so that one can sign off on the service charge of 18% that is added and not included in the complimentary benefits which I have found in all US hotels I've stayed in so far. Granted, that isn't that many as I've only had these benefits for so long.

Anyways. The Conrad Miami.

As I said above, the staff were lovely. And just got better throughout my stay - from housekeeping to the front desk to the bar to room service to laundry to the lovely gentlemen downstairs helping out with the luggage. I've actually written a few comments through the official channels in this regard. Despite the fact this hotel is constantly swarming with conferences and large groups, I was repeatedly greeted by name with people who remembered what I was up to. I have not received this kind of personal service (without it being creepy) in a long time. It felt like the kind of service one would get in a more charming small bed and breakfast rather than an upscale hotel. Which is exactly what I needed given what I was facing over this trip. (My travel excursions are rarely for business or pleasure these days it seems but I'll not go into detail)

The room was reasonably sized with plenty of light as one would expect in Miami. I was told this was a king, but it didn't quite feel like it. Granted, I haven't seen a US king sized bed in ages so... I'm not sure. I'm not busting out measuring tape anyways because it was extremely comfortable and more than spacious enough for me and Johann.

Complimentary bottle of cava. They were pouring glasses of this at check-in. I love any hotel that provides sparkling wine at check-in. Even better if they're giving me a bottle in my room. Champagne is my thing, but I won't put up a fuss if it's prosecco or champagne. (It might have been in the sun for awhile - I never drank it instead toting it all the way back to England with me for whatever reason. Rational thought is not on my side right now)

The view from the room. Gorgeous. I love the buildings of Brickell.

Angle from the window facing towards the entrance of the room. The room itself honestly felt very much like a a standard hotel room. There wasn't anything particularly special about it. The closet had large sliding mirrored doors. Two bathrobes. The iron and ironing board. Everything else in the room was in the drawers underneath the coffee set-up. The long wooden section beneath that, where luggage ought to go, is not actually attached to the wall. These are drawers that open... stubbornly. This entire unit actually fell on me at one point (no injuries or anything but it was a surprise). The cabinets above the coffee setup contain the minibar and *an electric kettle* (the first I've seen in a US hotel). The drawers below contained the various minibar snacks plus a tea selection and the glassware for coffee/tea.

The bathroom counter was pleasant and elegant to look at. The toiletry products were not a brand I knew, but they were pleasant. This mirror set up was unpleasant. I prefer them to be attached to the wall. This seems like such an afterthought. However, it's a nice afterthought as it is a very nice mirror. I'm short - but I imagine a tall person would have some difficulty with this. The counter is not very high.

This bathtub does not fill up very fast. Although it does make for a nice tiny swimming pool for those of us who fit in oversized bathtubs in such a way

Despite being here for 6 days, I did not wash my hair here. But it would have been an excellent hair washing shower. Pressure was superb. Too much time in England makes me forget what that is like sometimes. My one criticism is that to switch from the main shower head to the wand, you must turn a knob that is at the very top where the main shower head attaches to the wall. This is not impossible at 5'1'' but it's pretty difficult. When the shower is already on.

Reasonable hairdryer. I didn't get to turn this one on to know if it had a wonky smell to it like so many do. But it had a concentrator so that's nice.

The usual suspects. It's always nice to see mouthwash... but... it's usually awful in my experience. This shower cap didn't have enough elastic in it to be truly useful but it did come with a super handy cotton hair band. I like it when they come with hair bands. Just in case my many clips and hair bands have all gone missing in front of my face.

Let's talk about the bottled water situation in this room. Wow. So, this hotel doesn't give you water at check-in as a Diamond member. There are 4 different types of water bottles in the room. One, that you see here, with a nice big sign that says $10 on it. Okay, fine. This is part of the minibar. There are two types of chilled water in the fridge - still and sparkling. These are also part of the minibar. Then! In the drawer below the coffee machine, if you are ever so fortunate, there will be two tiny bottles of Conrad labelled bottles of water at room temp. These are the bottles of water you are looking for.

A fun note, you can chase these tiny bottles down all over the hotel any time you want. Don't pay for water here unless you want sparkling water.

Okay, maybe this room is a little special. The electric kettle. First one I've ever seen in a US hotel. It's there. It works.

The minibar.

This is the water you want. Unless you want sparkling. Then go pay for it somewhere else. It's okay. I bought some.

Minibar snacks. They looked... fine...

The safe is in the long wooden section that falls off the wall. So that's interesting.

Handy door menu ordering system for breakfast is you swing that way.

Entrance into the room, with a mirror to the side with a very handy little shelf

The laundry list. Laundry and pressing runs 7 days a week. Dry cleaning runs 5 days a week. They will collect form the room. Just call.

A handy bag. In the drawers that fall out of the wall.

The pedicure spa. Worth every dollar. I think it was $45 for a decent pedicure. And they were so kind

Breakfast room (technically, they serve all meals here but it looks most fresh in the morning). The flowers were fresh every day. They also serve a very nice cup of tea.

I had the yucca hash most days. It's buried under the eggs. There was some difficulty getting properly runny egg yolks so I ended up going sunny-side up because over-easy kept coming over-done. It was delicious nonetheless.

Cuban benedict. Lovely. Just delicious.

Brioche French toast room service breakfast. Fairly prompt. I called for this rather than using the menu. (I'm not sure if they used my breakfast credit, I'm pretty bad at keeping track of these things actually)

The welcome cava... and some sancerre. I actually arrived early for check-in despite trying to take as long as humanly possible after landing in FLL (I worked in baggage claim on my laptop for awhile before taking the TriRail to the Metrorail to the Metromover - I honestly tried). I also had lunch here, snapper with some kind of cucumber something that was delicious.

Getting around the hotel itself can be a bit confusing. When you arrive, you are directed upstairs to Floor 25 for the main lobby to check-in. Another set of elevators will take you up or down to your room. There are a lot of longer stay rooms here with kitchens and the like. Conference and meeting rooms are on 2-3 using the elevator that you use to get to the ground floor. The building also contains the French Consulate and two banks, among other things I'm sure. To get to the gym and the pool, you have to go to the ground floor, walk across where the cars arrive for the valet, then go up to the top floor of the other building. According to some signage, the building is fully automated so there are no attendants for the gym or locker rooms. The pool area looked nice. The pool bar was minimal and had a bit of damage to it. It honestly didn't look like a pool bar that I wanted to be at. The pool itself looked nice though.

Overall, I enjoyed my actual stay here. It feels like a nicer Florida hotel... but I feel like my Conrad expectations were too high? I wish I had a photo of the bar. It's gorgeous. And the view from the bar is gorgeous.
happychic, tynmar and Tilto007 like this.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 12:19 pm

Nice review, and glad you enjoyed it. I've always had good experiences at this property, especially from a service perspective, which if you know Miami you realize how rare that is.

Those breakfast pictures remind me of just how much I love the chili lime potatoes.

Did they move the gym? It used to be in a pretty small space in the main building. If they moved it to the pool building and expanded that would be good news to me (though of course a bit harder to get to).
Old Jan 31, 2020, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by arlflyer
Nice review, and glad you enjoyed it. I've always had good experiences at this property, especially from a service perspective, which if you know Miami you realize how rare that is.

Those breakfast pictures remind me of just how much I love the chili lime potatoes.

Did they move the gym? It used to be in a pretty small space in the main building. If they moved it to the pool building and expanded that would be good news to me (though of course a bit harder to get to).
It looked to me that the gym was in the same building as the pool as there didn't seem a way to access a gym in the main building.

There is a free-to-use sauna on the spa floor of the main building (Floor 24, I think?) I avoid gym equipment outside of the gym in my current city of residence... but I'll try to remember that on any future trips. The updates on posting right now were sort of haphazard, "oh look, no one has posted much about these places, guess I'll add some info"
Old Mar 21, 2020, 1:31 pm

Programs: Marriott and British Airways
Angry OMG rates Conrad Miami august 2020 from $149

OMG rates Conrad Miami august 2020 from $149
I hope that they can survive with these rates, best luck to all staff there.
#....Corona
Old Mar 21, 2020, 3:52 pm

Programs: hhonors diamond
Originally Posted by ITravelElite
OMG rates Conrad Miami august 2020 from $149
I hope that they can survive with these rates, best luck to all staff there.
#....Corona
I done a uk search last night ( you know, bored, stuck at home ) uk hotels @ some crazy prices Bankside £99, Paddington £88 ....... Hilton Leeds was £29!.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.