Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Metropolitan - New York City {US-NY}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Metropolitan - New York City {US-NY}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2011, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by SgtRyan

So, as a HH gold, I was looking around for a good deal and found this hotel for only $139, bargain I thought due to the location of the area and as a result booked it up. ...
Originally Posted by BrlDsguise
Unless your preference is 1,000 HHonors points you get breakfast at a Doubletree - the policy is right on the Hilton website. ...
There are two ways you would not be eligible for the complimentary HHonors Gold benefit of complimentary 'continental' breakfast (and space available upgrade):
  1. The $139 rate was not booked using Hilton reservations; either 'phone or a "Hilton Family" web site, or
  2. You Gold MyWay VIP setting was set to 1000 HHonors points.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 5:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by serfty
There are two ways you would not be eligible for the complimentary HHonors Gold benefit of complimentary 'continental' breakfast (and space available upgrade):
  1. The $139 rate was not booked using Hilton reservations; either 'phone or a "Hilton Family" web site, or
  2. You Gold MyWay VIP setting was set to 1000 HHonors points.
Room was booked on hilton.co.uk and was an advanched purchase rate.

My settings are to get upgrade and breakfast, which is why I didnt understand this. The women said that its a new policy which has come through from HQ....very strange....!!! The other women said that only diamond now get free breakfasts!! Annoying!!!
Old Dec 19, 2011, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
I would have continued to complain to get the charges removed.

As per the HHonors web site: (https://secure.hilton.com/en/hi/mypr...tml#div_pref11)

Doubletree by Hilton™ (Select One)
  • Receive a space-available room upgrade, including breakfast.*
    You will be upgraded to an Executive Floor room (where/when available) at time of check-in. If an Executive Floor room is unavailable, you will be upgraded to the next best available room from the room type booked. Upgrades exclude suites, villas and specialty accommodations. At hotels with Executive Floor lounges, if an Executive Floor room upgrade is available, you will also receive access to the lounge. In addition, you will receive complimentary Continental breakfast for you and up to one additional registered hotel guest each day of your stay.
  • Earn 1,000 Hilton HHonors® bonus points per stay.
    A great way to maximize your points earnings.

* Note: If a room upgrade is not available, you will receive all of the remaining benefits.

*Executive Lounge Access Policy

If you select a space-available room upgrade as your on-property benefit, the following policy will apply effective August 15, 2008, at all Hilton®, Conrad® Hotels & Resorts and Doubletree by Hilton™ hotels:

If you are a Gold, you'll be given access to the Executive Floor lounge when you receive a room upgrade to the Executive Floor. If an Executive Floor room upgrade is unavailable, you'll still receive daily complimentary Continental breakfast in lieu of lounge access.

If you are a Diamond, you'll enjoy access to the Executive Floor lounge, even if you don't receive a room upgrade to the Executive Floor, including daily complimentary Continental breakfast.

At hotels without Executive Floor lounges, Gold and Diamond will receive complimentary Continental breakfast for themselves and up to one additional registered hotel guest each day. If breakfast is included in the room rate, you'll receive an alternate welcome amenity that varies by hotel.

Old Dec 21, 2011, 1:39 pm

Programs: A3 *G; VA Gold, HH Gold, A|Club Plat
I am at this hotel right now (as a HHonors Gold) and have been told that there was a policy change around a month ago by which Gold members are no longer entitled to a complimentary breakfast "across the Hilton brand". I just spoke to Hhonors over the phone and of course they said this was not true, but that the hotel might have changed its own policy. They advised me to have the front desk staff phone HHonors to sort it out, which I will do a little while later and report back. It seems very deceitful to claim that a policy has been changed when in fact it has not.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
All I can think of is that the management either deliberately, or stupidly, conflated/confused this with the "elites are only only entitled to a continental minimum" policy.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by browniedx
I am at this hotel right now (as a HHonors Gold) and have been told that there was a policy change around a month ago by which Gold members are no longer entitled to a complimentary breakfast "across the Hilton brand". I just spoke to Hhonors over the phone and of course they said this was not true, but that the hotel might have changed its own policy. They advised me to have the front desk staff phone HHonors to sort it out, which I will do a little while later and report back. It seems very deceitful to claim that a policy has been changed when in fact it has not.
Hopefully Hilton isn't going to allow properties to deny stated benefits. I stayed at the Drake in Chicago this summer and was denyed lounge access eeven though it is a clearly stated benefit.

All properties should be required to honor ALL HH stated benfits.

Also be sure to post a negative review on TA indicating that they are not honoring this benefit and put that in the heading of your review. A lot of Hotel Managers read their reviews on TA and it also alerts other HH members the benefit isn't being offered.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 3:16 pm

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
I stayed at the Hilton Manhattan East and the Doubletree Financial District within the last week and were given breakfast coupons at both so they apparently didn't get the memo.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 6:01 pm

I have been getting mixed messages from the front desk staff here - the first person I spoke to said that it was a change in Hilton policy that came down from 'upper management', and then the person I spoke to after confirming this was not the case with Hilton HHonors said that it was a decision made by this particular hotel, because it is a franchise and entitled to go its own way, apparently.

I'm going to try and get breakfast for free anyway in the morning, and if it doesn't work out I will be bringing this to Hilton's attention, as part of the reason I booked this hotel at a rate that did not include breakfast was because I assumed I would get a free one as a Gold HHonors member.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 6:15 pm

I will never get how people can be so obedient in these kind of situations. To me, that's like taking a $50 out of my wallet and setting it on fire and watch it burn.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
I have been getting mixed messages from the front desk staff here - the first person I spoke to said that it was a change in Hilton policy that came down from 'upper management', and then the person I spoke to after confirming this was not the case with Hilton HHonors said that it was a decision made by this particular hotel, because it is a franchise and entitled to go its own way, apparently.

I'm going to try and get breakfast for free anyway in the morning, and if it doesn't work out I will be bringing this to Hilton's attention, as part of the reason I booked this hotel at a rate that did not include breakfast was because I assumed I would get a free one as a Gold HHonors member.
I would suggest going to the front desk, putting your cell on Speakerphone, and calling HHonors. Tell HHonors to sort this out with the front desk while you listen. If front desk agrees you get free breakfast, ask them to give you a short, handwritten note so stating, as the personnel will likely be different when you check out.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 8:32 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Some HH properties do opt out of HHonors benefits - the ex-DoubleTree Monterey CA did not even award HHonors points! But for a hotel to not award benefits because their "upper management" chooses not to and then blame "Hilton brand" and Hilton management" is pure, unadulterated, spineless rubbish.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 9:07 pm
SST

This hotel has a history with me of bending the rules, including breakfast as a Diamond. Also, watch how they tolerate the staff in the lobby steering innocent foreign tourists to black cars instead of cabs, and favoring certain yellow cabs over others for pickups. Quite a racket, I'm sure that there are payoffs.

This is a new low, though. I HATE IT when hospitality staff just make stuff like this up. I wonder if the original perp got his/her desired promotion? Or if they found out that doing this makes some money for this month's P/L but tarnishes the hotel's whole reputation?
Old Dec 21, 2011, 9:20 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Hilton has no control over their hotels, and the hotels can do whatever they want. Obviously it works, since at least in this example people are paying for breakfast that should be free.

They may give into a few people making noise about it, but they know they can do it thousands of times, and most people will just pay it.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 9:34 pm

I just went downstairs and asked to speak to the Duty Manager. She explained that the Executive Lounge is closed for renovations which began on December 19 (not sure if the OP's stay was that recent or not), but that Gold Elites are still entitled to a continental breakfast in the restaurant downstairs. As compensation for the hassle she upgraded me to a full American breakfast in my room, so I am fairly happy with the outcome obviously but I still don't get why there are so many different stories floating around amongst the staff members as to why breakfast should not be given to Golds...
Old Dec 21, 2011, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I just went downstairs and asked to speak to the Duty Manager. She explained that the Executive Lounge is closed for renovations which began on December 19 (not sure if the OP's stay was that recent or not), but that Gold Elites are still entitled to a continental breakfast in the restaurant downstairs. As compensation for the hassle she upgraded me to a full American breakfast in my room, so I am fairly happy with the outcome obviously but I still don't get why there are so many different stories floating around amongst the staff members as to why breakfast should not be given to Golds...
If the OP is gold, they aren't entitled to lounge access anyway, unless they are upgraded to that floor. That should have had nothing to do with it, they shoudl have still been given a continental breakfast ih the restaurant.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.