Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Metropolitan - New York City {US-NY}

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Metropolitan - New York City {US-NY}

Old Jun 18, 04, 7:58 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Arrow DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Metropolitan - New York City {US-NY}

Joe Brancatelli said, yesterday, "The troubled Metropolitan Hotel on New York's (#569, at 51st Street) Lexington Avenue will become the 755-room Doubletree Metropolitan in the fall after a $35 million renovation. The property was once a Loews hotel and once known as The Summit."

This hotel already provides a concierge level with upgraded rooms and lounge, 44 suites, (728 rooms total,) and a farily well-known restaurant, the Lexington Avenue Grill. With a huge refurb, this will certainly openup another alternative for HHonors members.

I thik it behooves us to keep an eye on the news anoput this new 2Tree property - will they offer lots of opening incentives and perks?
Old Jun 18, 04, 9:00 am
PHL

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Good news, indeed! The Metropolitan has sort of become a dump in recent years. It's a good location, as midtown East has a lot more of a residential/neighborhood feel to it as you walk East towards 3rd/2nd/1st avenues. Lots of good restaurants and nightlife without all the tourist hustle and bustle of Times Square.

2 Hilton brands within a block of each other, though. Odd. The Waldorf is just a block away.
Old Jun 18, 04, 9:12 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
Original Poster

<duplicate post>

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 18, 04 at 9:13 am Reason: wha' the?! Dupe!
Old Jun 18, 04, 9:12 am
Original Poster

Indeed! I suppose they will segment the market so it doesn't appear to be aproblem for HH properties. OTOH, from a consumer perspective, can the competition be anything but good?

Originally Posted by PHL
<snip> 2 Hilton brands within a block of each other, though. Odd. The Waldorf is just a block away.
Old Jun 18, 04, 11:50 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
They are going to renovate the entire place by the fall? I'm not picturing that happening, which means there may be some very good rates for the unrenovated rooms.

The more the merrier, it's getting extreamly difficult at times to get a Hilton room sometimes in the city on short notice.
Old Jun 18, 04, 2:51 pm

my sister stayed there 10 yrs ago when it was a loews and it was pretty decent. Good location not far from Bloomies and Serendipity 3 if I recall.
Old Jun 18, 04, 9:05 pm
Original Poster

Yes, that's exactly the hotel she stayed at. Supposedly, renovated, and reopening this Fall. Watch that website... and post here!

Mind you, Hilton also says they are opening a Hilton at Denarau (Fiji,) and it has, so far, been "seqa la lega" (no worries) and no idea when it will open...

Originally Posted by LemonThrower
my sister stayed there 10 yrs ago when it was a loews and it was pretty decent. Good location not far from Bloomies and Serendipity 3 if I recall.
Old Nov 14, 04, 7:00 am

According to doubletree.com they accept reservation from the 1st of January and beyond. I might have a trip to NYC in early January, would this hotel really be open by then? I found a great rate of 135$
Old Nov 14, 04, 7:54 am

I stayed at this property this year and it wasn't that bad. Flat screen tv in room and king bed. No real complaints from me.
Old Nov 14, 04, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by Arcolaio99
I stayed at this property this year and it wasn't that bad. Flat screen tv in room and king bed. No real complaints from me.
It has already open?
Old Nov 14, 04, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by kempis
According to doubletree.com they accept reservation from the 1st of January and beyond. I might have a trip to NYC in early January, would this hotel really be open by then? I found a great rate of 135$
I searched rates too, for a Friday night in January.

The $135+tax rate I saw (for a Queen bed room) is a Net Direct rate, which is prepaid and nonrefundable.

The cheapest NON-prepaid (24-hour cancel policy) rate is $159+tax, also for a Queen.

Still, those are very good rates for NYC, and cheaper than the other HHonors hotels in Manhattan.
Old Nov 14, 04, 5:44 pm
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
I searched rates too, for a Friday night in January.

The $135+tax rate I saw (for a Queen bed room) is a Net Direct rate, which is prepaid and nonrefundable.

The cheapest NON-prepaid (24-hour cancel policy) rate is $159+tax, also for a Queen.

Still, those are very good rates for NYC, and cheaper than the other HHonors hotels in Manhattan.

You will want to double check the rates, for a Friday I need in January the Millenium was less expensive, 128 prepaid, 150 not, and that drops down to 145 with an AAA discount.

For Friday and Saturday night stays, the Millenium almost always beats the other Hilton properties in the city.
Old Nov 14, 04, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by cordelli
You will want to double check the rates, for a Friday I need in January the Millenium was less expensive, 128 prepaid, 150 not, and that drops down to 145 with an AAA discount.

For Friday and Saturday night stays, the Millenium almost always beats the other Hilton properties in the city.
Thanks! But I was only looking at midtown-ish hotels. I'm not surprised that lower Manhattan is cheaper on weekends.

Last edited by KathyWdrf; Nov 14, 04 at 6:28 pm Reason: foot-in-mouth
Old Nov 14, 04, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by kempis
It has already open?
I stayed before it was a DT. At the time it was the Metropolitan Hotel. At the time they had just finished a big renovation. For $135 a night I would stay here anytime.
Old Nov 14, 04, 10:05 pm
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
Thanks! But I was only looking at midtown-ish hotels. I'm not surprised that lower Manhattan is cheaper on weekends.
I use to think that, but the hotel is so close to so many subway stations, walking distance over to some very good restaurants over at South Street, etc, and it costs less. I think that's a winning combination.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: