Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Limitations on Earning Pts for 1 Hotel Stay?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2005, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA (1MM), Marriott (LT Gold)

I read through the HH T&C's, and I would just like to confirm that the only limitation on earning HH points for 1 hotel stay is the 100,000 base point limitation.

I seem to recall one hotel chain has a consecutive night limitation (*wood?), but I don't see that mentioned at Hilton Hhonors.

I tried to search for this info and did not see any obvious posts.
Old Dec 15, 2005, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think there's a 30-night (consecutive) limit.

But if you're going to be there that long, work some deal with the manager. I'm sure they'll be willing to accomodate you.
Old Dec 15, 2005, 4:19 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold since '02, Hertz President's Circle since '07
I don't have any direct experience with this as my stays have never been more than a few weeks.

However, I try to keep up on the issues raised by various threads, and the 100,000 point per stay limit has been raised numerous times over the past 3 years by people with 6 month or longer stays at one property. One was in the past month.

I don't know how you might search... "100,000" and "100000" and "100K"? Oh, better yet, find the T&C paragraph and copy a key phrase from it. It is almost always quoted in the threads discussing this issue.

As for any day limit, I don't recall one ever being disussed. But if I was your Millionaire Lifeline you'd have to tell Regis that I'm not entirely positive.
Old Dec 15, 2005, 5:32 pm

Programs: Darth Vader of AMEX, A ladys best friend of Hilton, Pt78 of SPG, *G ,*S, ANA VIP
hi

its easy.

if you stay over 29/30days (full month) the hotel has to report you and register you as a resident.

this has to do with local laws etc. so mostly hotels let you only stay 29/30days as one stay.

if you stay longer no points will be given , and income tax etc. may apply.

at hiltons you can only earn 100K base points in one stay.
this is because you will hit diamond with one stay.

but you can earn Award Points without any limitation. I earned 190K points in one stay last time.

dp
Old Dec 15, 2005, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by derpelikan
if you stay over 29/30days (full month) the hotel has to report you and register you as a resident.

this has to do with local laws etc. so mostly hotels let you only stay 29/30days as one stay.

at hiltons you can only earn 100K base points in one stay.
this is because you will hit diamond with one stay.

but you can earn Award Points without any limitation. I earned 190K points in one stay last time.
As to the base points that is an important distinction, and corresponds with what I'm finding in the T&C:
http://hhonors.hilton.com/en/hhonors...rual_of_points
9. HHonors Members cannot accrue more than 100,000 Base points during one stay, except for Homewood Suites by Hilton® hotels for check-in dates on or after January 1, 2006.
As to the 29 or 30 day limit...

a) I can't find anything in the T&C about it.

b) And the logic of your argument doesn't pan out for me. Having owned rental property in a few states, I've never come across, nor could I imagine a law that requires landlords to be enforcers of tenants responsibilities by reporting new residents.

Regardless of the legal question, I'd simply like to see something from the T&C saying that there is an X day stay limit. Until presented with that verbiage, I would argue that the answer to the OP's question is that the only limit is the 100K BASE point limitation, and no day limit.
Old Dec 15, 2005, 9:42 pm

Programs: Darth Vader of AMEX, A ladys best friend of Hilton, Pt78 of SPG, *G ,*S, ANA VIP
day limit

about the day limit.

on FT there was once a explanation why there is a limitation on how many days you can be checked in on a consecutive stay.

the 100K limitation is in the T&C . about the day limit, i am not an expert on this, but one hotel manager explained me that he has to make an long term contract if i stay longer than one month in one stay.

(this means no hilton points, and a deposit)

dp
Old Dec 16, 2005, 1:18 am

Just to add one more piece to the puzzle, I picked a random property (Hampton Denver Downtown) and made a 45 day reservation. No issues, at least with the online reservation.
Old Dec 16, 2005, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Rut Dog
As to the 29 or 30 day limit...

a) I can't find anything in the T&C about it.
I believe it is a local law question, nothing to do with Hilton directly.

I've run into this a couple of times before, and in different jurisdictions. I think the reasoning is that if you're there more than 30 consecutive days, you're considered a resident. The hotel will typically refund the taxes you've paid (or they should), and you may subject youself to other texes instead.

I've thought it best to arrange a break every 28 days or so. Pay up, get the points, and start over.

If you find yourself in that situation, best speak with the hotel manager (if he appears knowledgeable) and make sure you don't get caught by some un-obvious laws.
Old Dec 18, 2005, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by derpelikan
As a consultant, I regularly stay long terms at Hilton (31+ days). I have always gotten my points. Also, never has any of my coworkers ever had that issue of not recieving their points.
Old Dec 18, 2005, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by ExitRowAisle
I read through the HH T&C's, and I would just like to confirm that the only limitation on earning HH points for 1 hotel stay is the 100,000 base point limitation.

I seem to recall one hotel chain has a consecutive night limitation (*wood?), but I don't see that mentioned at Hilton Hhonors.

I tried to search for this info and did not see any obvious posts.
I stayed long term at a Hilton property over 2 years associated with a corperate project and wasnt aware of the 100,000 base point limit. I would check out every 30 days and back in on the same day for travel claim purposes,and I lost about 70,000 points about midway into my stay until i noticed that I only had 100,000 base points post for that stay and it should have been more. The points dont continue to accumulate unless you check out on one date and check back in on another. After that when I got close to the base limit I would check out on 1 day and check back in on another and the base points would post with a different stop date and start date. I have thought about contacting Hilton Honors because the rules penalize the customers that spend the most.
Old Dec 18, 2005, 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by MCPO
I have thought about contacting Hilton Honors because the rules penalize the customers that spend the most.
MCPO meet Phil the Flyer, who is doing exactly that. Perhaps you two could join forces.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.