Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Chicago/Magnificent Mile Suites {US-IL}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Chicago/Magnificent Mile Suites {US-IL}

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2001, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Arrow Hilton Chicago/Magnificent Mile Suites {US-IL}

First off, has anyone stayed here, overall how nice a property is it? Did you get any upgrades by being hhonors gold, or have problems getting your free breakfast certificates?

Secondly, my wife & I are flying into Ohare at 11:00 pm friday. I usually take the L to downtown, but I have never gotten in so late before, and bit leary at this late at night. Does anybody know of any other cheap alternatives? Thanks!
Old May 15, 2001, 11:40 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Chicago is not like it used to be, the L at that time of night on the route you are on (blue line), is fine to take. I take it late night all the time returning from class and have never seen or heard of any problems. For an extra measure of security if you need it, sit in the very front car of the train near to where the driver is. I would get off at the Clark/Lake stop and cab it to your hotel from there. Cabs will be no problem.

The doubletree is nice and coupons were given freely. I would suggest that you stay at the Drake, which is 1/2 block from the double tree. Much nicer and GREAT breakfast. Everytime I've stayed at the Drake I have received upgrades to beautiful lake view rooms.

Old May 15, 2001, 11:42 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
almost forgot. A shared cabride would be cheap and at that time of night you will fly into Chicago on the empty expressway (hopefully!)
Old Oct 21, 2002, 8:16 am

Comments on downtown Chicago Doubletree Suites?

I have stayed at most of the downtown Chicago Hilton brand hotels, but have never tried the Doubletree Suites Downtown.

Any comments as to how this hotel compares to the Chicago Hilton, the Palmer House, the Drake, and Homewood Suites? Thanks.
Old Oct 21, 2002, 9:04 am

I would rather stay at the homewood suites than the doubletree. The rooms are nicer and the staff was great at the homewood. I also liked it's location better. The rock Bottom brewery across the street. The rates were also better for me at the homewood. I also liked the idea of a frig and mini kitchen in the Homewood.
Old Oct 21, 2002, 11:18 am

I stayed there last year. The location is great, but only valet parking. The swimming pool in the top floor have great view for free use. The room is ok and a little above than the average Doubletree suites.
Old Oct 21, 2002, 1:54 pm

Programs: Delta DM 1MM, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Hilton Suites Chicago/Magnificent Mile Trip Reports and Reviews

Stayed here only once, but the impression was generally favorable. We had a nice suite with small fridge, microwave, and wet bar. Pull out couch, spacious bathroom with doors to the bedroom and sitting area. Dining area with 4 chairs. Do not recall the desk situation, as we were there for pleasure. This could have been a premium room as we were Gold, but I didn't get that impression. I remember we were dissapointed that we could not check in early.

Parking is valet only--if that is a concern--and quite pricey--Somewhere in the low to mid $30's if memory serves. Although I learned something about parking in Chicago,(this may be true in other cities, its just that Chicago is the only big city I really drive to where I park downtown)If you do a self park, the rates can be decent, around $24 for 24 hours, but this is for up to 24 hours only. I have been then charged another $10-$12 an additional 30 mins as this was there minimum charge for 1-3 hours or something like that. Often times with a valet at a hotel you can arrive mid-morning and park until late afternoon the next day for around the same price as self park for this 25-30 hours.
Old Oct 21, 2002, 3:46 pm

edited

Last edited by goingnow; Mar 9, 2010 at 6:08 pm
Old Jun 19, 2003, 1:48 pm

Doubletree Suites Chicago Downtown-Recent Stays?

Has anyone recently stayed at the Doubletree Suites Downtown (by the Hancock Tower). Expedia says it was renovated in 2003. I stayed there about 10 years ago and loved the location and the view from the higher floors but have always ended up at different locations since.

What were the renovations? Also; any reports on Gold or Diamond upgrades; please let me know.

(I did a search and couldn't find anything recent.)
Old Jun 19, 2003, 2:19 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond USAirways CP Hertz Pres Cir
You are correct about the location -- it is great. As a diamond I don't recall any special treatment when I stayed a few months back.

The hotel rooms I would say are satisfactory, although nothing special. My room did not appear to be recently renovated, but I cannot compare the before and after of any changes given I've only been there once (I had a bad experience there at check-in years ago, which made me leave and kept me from using this hotel for a very long time).

The view I had overlooked an office building so it was not a great one, but you could see the lake in the distance.

There was the standard double tree suites layout of a living room with a couch and table and chairs, a bedroom that just fits the bed and not much else, sink/hall/closet leading to the bath. Fairly clean overall, but again, it did not seem to be new either.

I would stay there again, particularly if I wanted to be on the upper north end of Michigan Avenue. The Water Tower is not too far away.

Edited to note that their website describes the hotel as "the city's finest all-suite hotel." If this is true, based on my own experience, I would bet there are not too many all-suite hotels in town to compete with!

[This message has been edited by elbidercni (edited 06-19-2003).]
Old Jun 30, 2003, 1:39 pm

Any updates?
Old Jun 30, 2003, 3:40 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, Hilton Silver
I was staying in the Drake last Christmas which I thought was a bit naff so I had a look at a few hotels in the area, the Westin was very swish but above my budget, the Four Seasons was........way above my budget.
I went to the Doubletree and a real babe from Lithuania showed me a room which was fine.
I went to SFO and came back a few days later and checked in about midnight and was allowcated a low floor room.
Going out the next morning I bumped into the Lithuania babe who remembered me from the showround, she asked what room I was in - a few taps on her keyboard and I was moved to a top floor corner room overlooking the lake the Drake and some very fancy blocks - a fantastic view on Christmas morning as it had snowed overnight.
I believe apart from one large suite of several rooms all other rooms are of the same class. The room was nothing special but at a $100 a night was fine by me.
If you do stay have a drink in the La Coq D'or in the Drake around the corner - it is wonderful.
Old Jul 8, 2003, 2:10 pm

Doubletree Suites Chicago Report

Stayed this last weekend (7/4-7/7) at the Doubletree Suites-Chicago Downtown on E. Delaware and wanted to give a quick report.

This was a non-rewards stay as a HHonors Gold with a reservation for a non-smoking king suite: added to the comments I was a Gold. Check in took for a while as a newbie who was nice but was stumbling her way through the process. Without asking was given vouchers for a continental breakfast and two waters a day from the minifridge.

Was given a high level lake view room. (There are buildings in the way so it's not completely unobstructed.) The suite is on the smallish size but nice.

Some quick thoughts:
  • There are only 13 rooms on a level so it's not a long walk from the elevator to your room.
  • The TVs are small. The one in the living area is mounted low which makes it hard to see.
  • Not many channels and the reception is bad for the local stations.
  • When it's a full house the wait for an evelator can be long.
  • Must be where Luthansa keeps their crews. Both Saturday and Sunday I either rode the elevator with someone from Luthansa or there was a group in the lobby.
  • The internet connection in the business center is a very sloooooow dial-up one. This can't bode well for use in a room.
  • Very good location one block off of Michgan Ave and a short walk to the beach.
Old Jul 9, 2003, 8:37 am

BTW: some websites mention a 2003 renovation of this hotel. All I believe it involved was the restaurant and Starbucks area. Doesn't look like the rooms have been touched.
Old Jan 2, 2004, 8:25 pm

Programs: Delta SILVER Medallion; Alaska Mileage Plan; HiltonHHonors GOLD; Starwoods GOLD
DoubleTree Guest Suites-Chicago Downtown

Happy New Year FT Friends. I'm heading to Chicago in March and have booked a room at the DoubleTree Guest Suites-Chicago/Downtown. I've read excellent reviews about it in various travel publications, but would appreciate comments from fellow FT'ers. I've booked an executive level suite, not sure what type of upgrade would be available since it's all suites. My second choice was the Radisson Hotel and Suites, but have Silver Level with Hilton.

Happy New Year Everyone! May your travels reward you well!

------------------
jetguy727

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.