FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   Conrad Bangkok {THA} (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/486794-conrad-bangkok-tha.html)

Kiwi Flyer Feb 12, 2004 1:50 pm

Conrad Bangkok {THA}

Posts older than 2017 for this OPEN THREAD can be found in the

ARCHIVE THREAD for Conrad Bangkok

Links to moved posts should still work.

Kiwi Flyer
Hilton HHonors forum moderator

kapitan Jan 10, 2017 4:19 am

No lounge acess last when I stayed there last week as goldd.

Wozza2404 Jan 10, 2017 4:24 am

Originally Posted by scubaccr (Post 27675338)
Except the Individual hotels, ie Conrads, Hilton's etc did not sign up to provide lounge access and free b/f to the 1000's who free status-matched to HHD expiring 2018 between Oct2015-Apr2016 despite only having a CC status with another chain and then not even the top status

This is a real ball ache at the moment. HH Diamond has previously been quite well protected, and not offered for matches, etc. (unlike Gold which was basically available free to anyone who smiled and asked).

I've seen a real drop in service in some Middle Eastern properties as suddenly every guest is Diamond.

Staying at the BKK Conrad this Fri and Sat, so will see if much has changed. I was very impressed with their recognition last time (both as a 'frequent' guest and a Diamond).

oh_lol Jan 10, 2017 6:48 pm

I am both a frequent guest (last stay around 2 weeks ago) and Diamond at Conrad BKK, and the perks are slowly getting worse. No recognition, no upgrades, no care.
Luckily I have status with Hyatt, because I'll be moving my stays to the new Park Hyatt.

Wozza2404 Jan 11, 2017 12:03 am

Does anyone know if a NOR1 generally offers better value than upgrading that the property? Terrace suite being offered for 3500THB a night on NOR1 currently.

gav0106 Jan 11, 2017 4:13 am

Originally Posted by Wozza2404 (Post 27741538)
Does anyone know if a NOR1 generally offers better value than upgrading that the property? Terrace suite being offered for 3500THB a night on NOR1 currently.

hi Wozza2404

I went for the Nor1 to Terrace Suite, wife is photographer and likes the outsdie space

Upgrades can be mixed. I have had suite before and also corner room, which is nice and good size, but for the price I felt terrace Suite was good option

Moppuskaft Jan 11, 2017 5:04 pm

One night stay 24-25.12 as Gold. No upgrade BUT lounge access. No option for late check-out but because i had a flight around 8:30 p.m. was told that i can stay in the lounge as long as i wish.

Matthew_22 Jan 11, 2017 5:20 pm

I have a visit coming up at the end of the month I am now feeling apprehensive about. I used to stay here as a diamond every couple of weeks and (almost) always received excellent service, frequently with great suite upgrades and also being recognised by many members of staff, which I always feel is a nice, genuine touch. However I haven't been back since the massive dilution of paper HHD's, and it sounds like they've hit this place hard, so it will be interesting to see how things compare now. I have certainly tempered my expectations downward.

If things really go south, are any of the Hilton's worth a shoot? I did always like the sound of that tall one by the river.

eponymous_coward Jan 11, 2017 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by Matthew_22 (Post 27746064)
I have a visit coming up at the end of the month I am now feeling apprehensive about. I used to stay here as a diamond every couple of weeks and (almost) always received excellent service, frequently with great suite upgrades and also being recognised by many members of staff, which I always feel is a nice, genuine touch. However I haven't been back since the massive dilution of paper HHD's, and it sounds like they've hit this place hard, so it will be interesting to see how things compare now. I have certainly tempered my expectations downward.

If things really go south, are any of the Hilton's worth a shoot? I did always like the sound of that tall one by the river.

You're in a market (Bangkok) where inexpensive "5 stars" abound. Quotes used because Mandarin Oriental and similar aren't going to be inexpensive, but 5 star business hotels comparable to Conrad for $100-200 USD? Nooooo problem.

Case in point, I did a trip to Bangkok and stayed at the Vie Hotel MGallery, spent for a suite upgrade, net cost to me per night was $125, included buffet breakfast, right on the BTS, easy connection to the ARL.

I'd treat it as an opportunity to be outside the box of loyalty.

Millennium Hilton is nice enough and very convenient for tourist trips up and down the river, but why limit yourself? Also, you'd expect paper HHDs to hit all the Bangkok Hiltons, no?

uggboy Jan 11, 2017 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward (Post 27746178)
You're in a market (Bangkok) where inexpensive "5 stars" abound. Quotes used because Mandarin Oriental and similar aren't going to be inexpensive, but 5 star business hotels comparable to Conrad for $100-200 USD? Nooooo problem.

Case in point, I did a trip to Bangkok and stayed at the Vie Hotel MGallery, spent for a suite upgrade, net cost to me per night was $125, included buffet breakfast, right on the BTS, easy connection to the ARL.

I'd treat it as an opportunity to be outside the box of loyalty.

Millennium Hilton is nice enough and very convenient for tourist trips up and down the river, but why limit yourself? Also, you'd expect paper HHDs to hit all the Bangkok Hiltons, no?

Thanks eponymous_coward for your insights, in regards to Hilton hotels in Bangkok, maybe staying first a few nights at the Millennium Hilton for the river, after this a few nights at the Conrad to experience a very different part of the city and style of hotel.

Different locations, Hilton loyalty and benefits without limiting oneself to a certain point/location in the city. :)

Cheers & Safe Travels. ^

templar42 Jan 11, 2017 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by Wozza2404 (Post 27741538)

There's no hurry. I'd wait, and have a look the night before. If you've been pre upgraded, the nor1 price is sometimes reduced.

Wozza2404 Jan 12, 2017 4:01 am

Pre upgraded to a King Exec Corner. Nor1 has gone up 400thb so I'll ask at check in.

mking Jan 12, 2017 12:20 pm

We had a 2 night stay here last week 5-7 Jan.

There was no Diamond welcome, no upgrade and no lounge check in.
We asked for a late check out and got a flat no.

We've had 4 stays/8 nights a year here for the last 5 years and have always been treated well, something has definitely changed.

racerxpa2000 Jan 14, 2017 10:38 am

i only got upgraded to a corner room... no lounge access... but 4pm checkout without a fuss

Originally Posted by Moppuskaft (Post 27746015)
One night stay 24-25.12 as Gold. No upgrade BUT lounge access. No option for late check-out but because i had a flight around 8:30 p.m. was told that i can stay in the lounge as long as i wish.

Chang11 Jan 14, 2017 6:10 pm

Corner Room is a very good upgrade, I would be extremely happy with that upgrade if I booked a basic room.

Kacee Jan 14, 2017 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by mking (Post 27750314)
We've had 4 stays/8 nights a year here for the last 5 years and have always been treated well, something has definitely changed.

If so, a dubious strategy given the increased competition coming online, e.g. Park Hyatt and Marriott Marquis.

stargold Jan 14, 2017 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by Chang11 (Post 27762095)
Corner Room is a very good upgrade, I would be extremely happy with that upgrade if I booked a basic room.

"Extremely happy" is not one of the things that come to mind for a one-category upgrade.

Wozza2404 Jan 14, 2017 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by stargold (Post 27762822)
"Extremely happy" is not one of the things that come to mind for a one-category upgrade.

I've just checked and it looks like I paid for a corner room, and got an "Executive Corner Room"; which isn't really an upgrade at all when I'm Diamond and get lounge access regardless.

I stayed at the Millennium Hilton for a night on this trip as well, and although it's an older property the recognition and service was better.

I'll be trying the Sofitel next time.

Chang11 Jan 15, 2017 6:19 am

Originally Posted by stargold (Post 27762822)

CheapCharlie/golddigger is someone expecting the world for nothing that comes to my mind, after being upgraded from a bottom feeder basic room rate to a large corner room which includes a walk in closet, entry hall and huge shower and tub bathroom (that is a significant upgrade, referring to only to stargolds post here). The op was only gold too, but happy with the upgrade.

Gold is hardly a Hilton Honnors road warrior (12 nites a year = gold or the proper credit card).

bitterproffit Jan 15, 2017 6:49 am

I stayed here in June 2016. I booked a corner room on the executive floor. I didn't get an upgrade, but I didn't care because I booked exactly the room I wanted. I asked for a late check out and received it. I was treated like royalty in the executive lounge. I enjoyed breakfast in the EL. I went to a couple evening receptions, but really didn't care to eat dinner in an EL when you have all of Bangkok just out the door. I did not know it was attached to a mall until towards the end of my stay. Since I had never stayed there before, I had no frame of reference as to whether the experience has improved or deteriorated. I did enjoy a mojito by the pool every afternoon. On my next trip, I might try the Hilton on the river, just for comparison.

FlytheTail Jan 15, 2017 7:28 am

Originally Posted by Wozza2404 (Post 27762875)
I've just checked and it looks like I paid for a corner room, and got an "Executive Corner Room"; which isn't really an upgrade at all when I'm Diamond and get lounge access regardless.

This is consistent with my experience as a Diamond my last 5 stays. A lot of folks book the suites or NOR1 upgrade, leaving few (and sometimes none during high season) suites for Diamonds. The corner rooms are great though.

Originally Posted by Chang11 (Post 27763945)
...to a large corner room which includes a walk in closet, entry hall and huge shower and tub bathroom (that is a significant upgrade, referring to only to stargolds post here). The op was only gold too, but happy with the upgrade.

Indeed, an upgrade to a corner room is generous for a Gold (didn't happen to me ever as a Gold). I only book corner rooms now, they're easily worth the small extra cost.

stargold Jan 15, 2017 7:53 am

Originally Posted by Chang11 (Post 27763945)
CheapCharlie/golddigger is someone expecting the world for nothing that comes to my mind, after being upgraded from a bottom feeder basic room rate to a large corner room which includes a walk in closet, entry hall and huge shower and tub bathroom (that is a significant upgrade, referring to only to stargolds post here). The op was only gold too, but happy with the upgrade.

You're clearly a fan. I stayed and thought it was okay, but nothing to write home about. The hotel on the whole is a step below its competitors IMO, and the pricing usually reflects that.

And "bottom feeder" basic room rate? :rolleyes: Are you new to the hotel status game or something?

Gold is hardly a Hilton Honnors road warrior (12 nites a year = gold or the proper credit card).
You do realise that Wozza2404, like many others who receive no more than the corner room 1-category upgrade, is a Diamond, right?

restlessinRNO Jan 15, 2017 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by Chang11 (Post 27762095)

I have been very happy with the upgrade to a corner room (with EL access) I usually receive as HHD, booking a basic King room. I like the windows in the bathroom! :) I note weekend King Bed rooms in February are usually 3500++ THB = 4119 THB total. :)

Kacee Jan 15, 2017 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by stargold (Post 27764267)
And "bottom feeder" basic room rate? :rolleyes: Are you new to the hotel status game or something?

Seriously.

For me, the #1 reason to have status is room upgrades.

Wozza2404 Jan 16, 2017 7:48 am

My thoughts from staying at both the Millenium Hilton and the Conrad this weekend are that neither hotel will see my business for a while.

The Millenium is a nice property, and the Diamond recognition was good. The lounge was also excellent, but the location just isn't right for me.

Conrad is perfectly located but they've gone from being one the best Hilton properties in the world when it comes to recognising loyalty, to having almost no recognition at all within a year. And the overcrowding of the lounge is painful at times.

Plenty of other 5* hotels in that area to try.

eddibabyyeah Jan 16, 2017 9:05 am

Originally Posted by Wozza2404 (Post 27769193)
My thoughts from staying at both the Millenium Hilton and the Conrad this weekend are that neither hotel will see my business for a while.

The Millenium is a nice property, and the Diamond recognition was good. The lounge was also excellent, but the location just isn't right for me.

I agree, with the comments on the Millenium. The rooms are ok and the views are great. I also love the lounge on an evening. But its just a pain having to get the boat over to BTS. The pool was also freezing cold last weekend.

Wozza2404 Jan 16, 2017 9:56 am

Originally Posted by eddibabyyeah (Post 27769568)
I agree, with the comments on the Millenium. The rooms are ok and the views are great. I also love the lounge on an evening. But its just a pain having to get the boat over to BTS. The pool was also freezing cold last weekend.

Conrad pool was beyond cold this weekend as well. I'm still trying to coax my testicles down from behind my nipples after foolishly jumping in without first dipping a toe.

cruisingmickey Jan 18, 2017 7:47 am

Does anyone have a photo of the laundry costs? Or know if there are nearby laundromats or laundry services? Thanks.

Gold39 Jan 18, 2017 8:08 am

Originally Posted by cruisingmickey (Post 27780939)
Does anyone have a photo of the laundry costs? Or know if there are nearby laundromats or laundry services? Thanks.

There is a laundry in the connecting mall - first floor opposite Tops supermarket. Its a better option than the hotel laundry if you are there for a while and have a lot to do.

cruisingmickey Jan 18, 2017 8:22 am

Originally Posted by Gold39 (Post 27781065)
There is a laundry in the connecting mall - first floor opposite Tops supermarket. Its a better option than the hotel laundry if you are there for a while and have a lot to do.

Thank you!! :)

gav0106 Jan 25, 2017 6:24 am

Solid stay. Booked and got Terrace suite, got good rate in sale.
2824. This is best side to be on. Away from lounge so you dont get people looking down on you, and also sun all day + sunset.
Was given late check out, was offered 1800! Lounge for afternoon tea quiet, evening very busy. As always Americans telling whole lounge their complete business plans :D
breakfast this time in Cafe2, was very good and nice range of food, not too busy
Over all great stay and remains our favourite.

FGunawan Jan 26, 2017 5:30 am

I stayed there a couple weeks ago. Very nice - everything went so smoothly. I was looking forward to the stuffed elephant toy in my room. It wasn't there so breakfast time I asked somebody at the lounge about it. When I came back to my room after breakfast housekeeping had left me the cute stuffed elephant, and they also had done making up my room!

Lounge got very crowded during evening cocktail. I was given a tip by the attendant: to get a seat, show up a bit early (5.30 - right around the time evening cocktail starts). Sure enough, I secured my table both nights this way.

cruisingmickey Jan 26, 2017 7:10 am

Does anyone know what time the lounge evening cocktail hour ends? Thanks!

FGunawan Jan 26, 2017 7:19 am

It's 5.30-7.30 pm

cruisingmickey Jan 26, 2017 9:03 am

Originally Posted by FGunawan (Post 27820184)
It's 5.30-7.30 pm

thanks!

Matthew_22 Feb 4, 2017 4:18 am

Just checked in, single night stay, booked cheapest room as a points + money award.

Former regular here (and was still recognised at check in) but haven't stayed in about 8-10 months.

No meaningful upgrade given, (just the 'upgrade to executive room' which essentially for a diamond just means a high floor) despite a dummy booking showing several higher cat rooms available, even the humble corner room.

Sigh... It's only a single night layover stay so I'm not going to say anything, but it's disappointing. In the past I got some really great upgrades here pretty much every time, and I just don't feel right about complaining / begging to get an upgrade, it shouldn't be the way the program works.

Don't get me wrong, it's still a decent enough hotel, but as somebody else has mentioned up thread, there definitely appears to have been a dramatic shift in their attitudes towards guests with status. I will probably continue to stay here on cheap award stays, but they won't see even a satang of mine on an a revenue stay.

oh_lol Feb 5, 2017 4:18 am

Agreed. I stay there every 1 or 2 months and get nothing at all now. Looking forward to the new Park Hyatt :)

FlytheTail Feb 5, 2017 9:29 am

Originally Posted by oh_lol (Post 27867503)
Agreed. I stay there every 1 or 2 months and get nothing at all now.

Same here. During my last stay a few weeks ago, booked a corner room and for the first time, wasn't upgraded 1-2 days before arrival to an executive corner. Upon arrival, I was assigned a room on something like the 18th floor, not even an executive floor. I was told the hotel was at 98% occupancy and indeed, no corner executive or suites were bookable online. After expressing some polite frustration, was able to get a corner room on the 25th floor.

Can't say things are any better for upgrades at the Hilton Millennium, so booked a suite for my next stay there. At least the lounges are nice...

Kacee Feb 5, 2017 10:29 am

Originally Posted by FlytheTail (Post 27868241)
I was told the hotel was at 98% occupancy and indeed, no corner executive or suites were bookable online.

Are they now selling to large tour groups from the mainland?

My last stay at Shangri-La BKK was awful for precisely this reason. They gave away my pre-reserved and assigned river view balcony room (which I had been booking twice a year for several years). And of course the breakfast buffet was a combat zone. I'll never stay there again.

Chang11 Feb 5, 2017 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 27868458)
Are they now selling to large tour groups from the mainland?

My last stay at Shangri-La BKK was awful for precisely this reason. And of course the breakfast buffet was a combat zone. I'll never stay there again.

Pretty racist sounding to me.