FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   Conrad Bangkok {THA} (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/486794-conrad-bangkok-tha.html)

Matthew_22 Feb 5, 2017 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by Chang11 (Post 27869724)
Pretty racist sounding to me.

Racist sounding it may be but unfortunately the truth is, it does have a pretty noticeable impact on the quality of one's stay. In my short 24 hours, I lost count of the number of times I was pushed in front of or out of the way by groups of Mandarin speaking guests, from waiting to be seated at breakfast to waiting for the lifts or the front desk, it was even attempted at the taxi queue on the way to the airport.

It could just be the time of the year, or more worryingly a sign of the changing times, but from somebody who has stayed at this hotel at least 40 times over the last 4 years, it is definitely a new development.

Kacee Feb 5, 2017 6:27 pm

Not intended that way at all. I'd have basically the same reaction if they were selling blocks of hundreds of rooms to tour groups consisting of Americans who had never traveled outside the US before. It has a huge negative impact on the guest experience at a supposed 5* property. And I can assure you, that would also turn the breakfast buffet into a combat zone ;)

oh_lol Feb 5, 2017 6:39 pm

It's not. It's what's happening at the Hilton Sukhumvit with the tour groups as well.

Alawyer Feb 5, 2017 6:54 pm

It is the Chinese New Year holidays. Expect hordes of tourists though bad behavior is not necessarily indicative of the origin of the tourists. I had some firm words with some kids from Korea who thought it was fun to jump into the pool in front of me while I was reading my papers. And yes the water temperature was as icy as the mood we were in that day.

Lucked out on the Terrace Suite as well from a deluxe corner room booking.

Matthew_22 Feb 5, 2017 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by FlytheTail (Post 27868241)
Can't say things are any better for upgrades at the Hilton Millennium, so booked a suite for my next stay there. At least the lounges are nice...

Out of curiosity, how would you compare the two hotels? I have always been interested in staying at the Millennium as it could be nice to stay at a different end of town for a change and like the sound of a river view, but have always just resorted to the Conrad out of habit and brand loyalty. However after my most recent stay I've finally come to the conclusion there isn't anything left there worth being loyal too.

mcgahat Feb 5, 2017 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by Alawyer (Post 27870138)
It is the Chinese New Year holidays. Expect hordes of tourists though bad behavior is not necessarily indicative of the origin of the tourists. I had some firm words with some kids from Korea who thought it was fun to jump into the pool in front of me while I was reading my papers. And yes the water temperature was as icy as the mood we were in that day.

Lucked out on the Terrace Suite as well from a deluxe corner room booking.

You yelled at kids for jumping in the pool? Isnt that what kids do? I mean, if you want to give them and their parents a hard time for acting up in the lounge but I would think at the pool that is what you would expect...unless I am not quite getting the situation.

FlytheTail Feb 5, 2017 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 27868458)
Are they now selling to large tour groups from the mainland?

I don't think so -- but certainly a lot of Asian clientele. The lounge was often full during cocktail hour but not packed, as it is sometimes (such as over New Years). Still had a good stay despite the lack of an upgrade.

Originally Posted by Matthew_22 (Post 27870164)
Out of curiosity, how would you compare the two hotels?

Comparisons are in this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...nd-tha-48.html. I prefer the Conrad for several reasons but since I usually stay in Sukhumvit, occasionally staying elsewhere is nice for a change of pace. The rooms at the Millennium are small, showing their age, and certainly inferior to the Conrad, but their suites are reasonably nice and the view of the river is great. If it matters, there are often tour buses at the Millennium.

xgeorge1 Feb 8, 2017 3:32 pm

I have an upcoming stay at this hotel using the previous VISA BOGO deal.
1st 2 night's room was booked and showing as "KING BED EXECUTIVE CORNER"
the other 2 nights I booked later is showing as "KING BED DELUXE CORNER"

Is there a major difference? If not, I might ask at check in to give us both deluxe corner for all 4 nights. (I am a Diamond FWIW) Also, how is Bangkok with capacity control? I might have a 2 friends crashing at my room for first 2 nights. Will that be a problem? Can I request rolleraway in BKK?

Thank you all

gav0106 Feb 9, 2017 1:44 am

Originally Posted by xgeorge1 (Post 27883630)

Is there a major difference? If not, I might ask at check in to give us both deluxe corner for all 4 nights. (I am a Diamond FWIW) Also, how is Bangkok with capacity control? I might have a 2 friends crashing at my room for first 2 nights. Will that be a problem? Can I request rolleraway in BKK?

Thank you all

As far as I know they are the same. I never saw any point to pay extra for Exec corner, as like you Diamond so lounge access anyway.
As far extra rollaway, it is big enough, but I am sure they will charge you something

Cymro Feb 9, 2017 2:22 am

Originally Posted by xgeorge1 (Post 27883630)

Is there a major difference? If not, I might ask at check in to give us both deluxe corner for all 4 nights. (I am a Diamond FWIW) Also, how is Bangkok with capacity control? I might have 2 friends crashing at my room for first 2 nights. Will that be a problem? Can I request rollaway in BKK?

Thank you all

As a diamond, there's no real difference. Exec will be on a higher floor, deluxe is lower floor, but they are the same room. The views at the hotel aren't that great and there's not much difference from the top or the middle floors... in theory, exec is better but certainly not worth the hassle of moving.

There's not a huge amount of extra floor space for rollaways, nor sofa space, so it doesn't strike me as particularly easy. Your best bet is to see whether they could move you into the Residences instead, or just rebook into the Residences beforehand as the rates tend not to be that different.

There are twin corner rooms available too but I wouldn't expect them to be suitable for more than two people (although I've never stayed in one, I just can't see how you could comfortably get two larger beds into the room).

xgeorge1 Feb 9, 2017 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by gav0106 (Post 27885297)
As far as I know they are the same. I never saw any point to pay extra for Exec corner, as like you Diamond so lounge access anyway.
As far extra rollaway, it is big enough, but I am sure they will charge you something

Originally Posted by Cymro (Post 27885385)
As a diamond, there's no real difference. Exec will be on a higher floor, deluxe is lower floor, but they are the same room. The views at the hotel aren't that great and there's not much difference from the top or the middle floors... in theory, exec is better but certainly not worth the hassle of moving.

There's not a huge amount of extra floor space for rollaways, nor sofa space, so it doesn't strike me as particularly easy. Your best bet is to see whether they could move you into the Residences instead, or just rebook into the Residences beforehand as the rates tend not to be that different.

There are twin corner rooms available too but I wouldn't expect them to be suitable for more than two people (although I've never stayed in one, I just can't see how you could comfortably get two larger beds into the room).

Thanks for the info, I will contact hotel and see how much extra for rolleraway. Is "Residences" bookable through Conrad? I dont see it under room type. Also, I got my first 2nights initially through VISA BOGO so not sure how that plays into this here..

Cymro Feb 10, 2017 2:18 am

It's not a room type - it's a separate property when booking but the Residences (apartment block next door) are physically connected and can be accessed via the front desk. Not sure what impact the Visa booking would have on that.

xgeorge1 Feb 10, 2017 10:41 am

Originally Posted by Cymro (Post 27890342)
It's not a room type - it's a separate property when booking but the Residences (apartment block next door) are physically connected and can be accessed via the front desk. Not sure what impact the Visa booking would have on that.

I see, then most likely this would invalid the VISA deal.. I might just tell my friends to either crash on the floor or get their own rooms since it's their choice.

What about lounge access? What are the chances of 4 people accessing at same time? Or maybe switch off? 1 pair goes first, then my friends go in later, either when I am still at the lounge or after I leave?

Delectatio Feb 17, 2017 10:48 am

Anyone knows what the typical lowest rates are for this hotel (during a sale)?
I am tempted to secure a 3 night stay in November for THB 3923++ per night (prepaid - base room) which seems the same rate as it was during the recent Asia sale...? If rates typically go much lower than this I would wait but if this rate is low already, I would of course book... :-)

jbeckett Feb 17, 2017 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by Delectatio (Post 27922510)
Anyone knows what the typical lowest rates are for this hotel (during a sale)?
I am tempted to secure a 3 night stay in November for THB 3923++ per night (prepaid - base room) which seems the same rate as it was during the recent Asia sale...? If rates typically go much lower than this I would wait but if this rate is low already, I would of course book... :-)

I paid 3375++ per night for a 2 night prepaid stay in early October 2016.

xgeorge1 Feb 17, 2017 2:00 pm

Anyone has insight on multiple people from same accessing lounge at same time? what is the entrance policy?

Chang11 Feb 17, 2017 9:07 pm

rescinded post

FlytheTail Feb 17, 2017 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by xgeorge1 (Post 27923316)
Anyone has insight on multiple people from same accessing lounge at same time? what is the entrance policy?

If the staff don't recognize you, they'll ask for your room number. If the number of people in your party exceeds the number registered at check in, then likely the extra folks will be charged at the lounge guest rate (can't remember what it is offhand).

manneca Feb 18, 2017 5:35 am

I stayed at the Conrad Bangkok three times for three nights recently. I was given a room on the top floor once and corner rooms on lower floors twice. Diamond status was recognized at check in.

Housekeeping took my uneaten welcome chocolates three times running. I complained and got a replacement plate. They left the fruit but took the chocolate.

Behind the hotel (through the ballroom entrance) is a road that runs parallel to Wireless. There is a by the kilo laundry off an alley way nearby. If you go out of the ballroom entrance and turn left (towards the BTS stop at Phloen Chit) and then immediately cross the street and then turn right down the alley and go all they way to the end of the alley, there is an apartment building on the right. The laundry is just off the reception area. Overnight service.

There are vendors with street food in the alley way if you like street food.

There are also a number of bars and restaurants there, too.

We found Artur's restaurant which has amazing steak (probably the best steak I've had). It's off the street which parallels Wireless on the other side of the hotel (behind the embassies). (There is a sign for Artur's at the corner). It's in a residential hotel.

The lounge was full, but not crowded while we were there. The food offerings are ho hum.

restlessinRNO Feb 19, 2017 6:20 am

I recently stayed at the Conrad Bangkok. As HH D, I am usually upgraded to a corner room, which is very nice. I found the executive lounge offerings in the evening to be impressive. Five hot food items, multiple cold nibbles, rolls, cheese, a cold soup. A red, white and sparkling wine available. The lounge can be busy in the evening, but did manage to accommodate everyone. No one stole my welcome chocolates. The Conrad continues to give me a silk elephant with my visits - I have a herd now. :)

Delectatio Mar 10, 2017 11:09 am

Originally Posted by jbeckett (Post 27922894)
I paid 3375++ per night for a 2 night prepaid stay in early October 2016.

That's a very good rate...I might wait to see if i can book cheaper :-)

oh_lol Mar 24, 2017 1:56 am

Starting to notice that Conrad is cheaper majority of the time (random dates when I have a stay), than the next closest competitor in the Hilton family, Hilton Sukhumvit.

Wasn't planning to go stay at Conrad this soon, but I guess the prices are too hard to refuse.

thbe Mar 24, 2017 3:29 am

Originally Posted by oh_lol (Post 28079543)
Starting to notice that Conrad is cheaper majority of the time (random dates when I have a stay), than the next closest competitor in the Hilton family, Hilton Sukhumvit.

Wasn't planning to go stay at Conrad this soon, but I guess the prices are too hard to refuse.

Not to forget that the Conrad is the best hotel of the Hilton family in Bangkok.

From my experience Hilton Sukhumvit usually offers lower rates than the Conrad. The "standard base rate" for Sukhumvit is THB 4.500 and for Conrad is THB 5.400.

Delectatio Mar 30, 2017 12:56 pm

What has happened with the rates of the Conrad Bangkok...?
EVERY night further than 2 weekes out is priced at Baht 5801++ ?? And then I really mean every night up until next year...?

restlessinRNO Mar 30, 2017 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by Delectatio (Post 28107678)
What has happened with the rates of the Conrad Bangkok...?
EVERY night further than 2 weekes out is priced at Baht 5801++ ?? And then I really mean every night up until next year...?

Unfortunately you just missed the Hilton Asia-Pacific sale, when prices were around 3315++ a night. Sale ended a couple of days ago.

Delectatio Mar 30, 2017 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by restlessinRNO (Post 28108244)
Unfortunately you just missed the Hilton Asia-Pacific sale, when prices were around 3315++ a night. Sale ended a couple of days ago.

I knew about the sale but lower rates were only valid for stays up to August, I am looking at staying in November. Before the sale my travel dates were priced at 3700++ and during the 'sale' they went up to 5801++ and that's where they still are now. My travel dates are still far out so I will get other chances...
I just found it weird that EVERY day is the SAME high price for months out (including dates like NY eve).

thbe Mar 30, 2017 11:17 pm

The sale wasn't for stays in November and hotel rates can go up and down.

There's plenty of time until November, so you don't have to book now.

FlytheTail Mar 31, 2017 5:46 am

Sweet suite upgrade

1 Attachment(s)
Stayed here for only one night and was delighted to receive an upgrade to a 1,200 sq. ft. deluxe suite. First time in a while that I booked a simple king room; I've pretty much always booked a king corner at this property and haven't received a room upgrade as a gold or diamond except once (for my 20th stay). I must say, this is the largest and nicest suite I've ever stayed in. My frustrations with a lack of upgrades here is now strongly mitigated. (I wonder how long that will last.)

hedoman Apr 10, 2017 7:11 am

Missed the pricing from a couple weeks ago. Today, booked five nights this month at 21,000 points/night. Low hanging fruit. Doesn't happen too often.

Delectatio May 3, 2017 11:21 am

Would it cause any problems booking a room for 1 person (king room) and checking in 2 persons, using the '2nd person stays free' benefit in this hotel?
The Conrad Bangkok seems one of these hotels where it is cheaper booking the same room for 1 person only...
I have never done this before so any advice is welcome.

gav0106 May 3, 2017 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by Delectatio (Post 28262363)
Would it cause any problems booking a room for 1 person (king room) and checking in 2 persons, using the '2nd person stays free' benefit in this hotel?
The Conrad Bangkok seems one of these hotels where it is cheaper booking the same room for 1 person only...
I have never done this before so any advice is welcome.

Hi there. No issues. Done it here many times. I always just book room for 1. Just habit now. As you say diamond benefit allows it. Never had issue. Enjoy stay

Delectatio May 3, 2017 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by gav0106 (Post 28262606)
Hi there. No issues. Done it here many times. I always just book room for 1. Just habit now. As you say diamond benefit allows it. Never had issue. Enjoy stay

Thank you. Exactly what I wanted to hear.
The price difference isn't huge but big enough for a nice Thai meal :-)

kt85 May 22, 2017 10:18 pm

just booked a one night stay (deluxe room) at Conrad Bangkok on 4Aug to 5 Aug for 3060 Baht all in.

The rate is a Members Flash sale rate.

Was the cheapest option in Bangkok. No brainer.

SK AAR May 23, 2017 3:27 am

Yeah, I just booked King Deluxe room in late July for THB 2,470 ++ (i.e. 2,910 all in). It was 35% off via the current Members Flash sale. What a great rate for this property ^

jphripjah May 28, 2017 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by FlytheTail (Post 27764176)
This is consistent with my experience as a Diamond my last 5 stays. A lot of folks book the suites or NOR1 upgrade, leaving few (and sometimes none during high season) suites for Diamonds. The corner rooms are great though.

I have twice booked a corner room and gotten an upgrade to a suite. Once it was the huge suite and once it was the smaller suite.

Also, on one of the two occasions, I had to ask for the upgrade, which I don't normally do. I was checking in at the lounge and the lady told me I have been "upgraded" to an executive corner room, and I responded that this wasn't really an upgrade because I'm a Diamond member. She made a call and I got a suite.

FlytheTail May 29, 2017 9:15 pm

Seems like they are doing some room renovations. I just completed a short stay and the first room I was assigned (upgraded from standard to corner room) was on an executive floor in which about half of the rooms were partitioned off. I inquired with one staff member but he didn't seem to know much, other than to confirm. There was a chemical smell similar to wood varnish, so I asked for a different room and received an upgrade to a beautiful suite.

I'll be very interested to learn more about the renovations.

mnredfox Jun 6, 2017 7:13 am

Looking to finalize my stay here in Sep. Since prepaid rates for HH members is not creeping to 3400 THB all in, I'm inclined to use points. However, I notice when I add a second person to the room the points go from 25K to 27K. What happened to 2nd guest stays free?

Are Thai hotels exempt from this?

sbams Jun 6, 2017 8:51 am

Originally Posted by mnredfox (Post 28409460)
Looking to finalize my stay here in Sep. Since prepaid rates for HH members is not creeping to 3400 THB all in, I'm inclined to use points. However, I notice when I add a second person to the room the points go from 25K to 27K. What happened to 2nd guest stays free?

The site does not take account of your 2nd Guest Stays Free entitlement. Just book for 1 guest and the second will not be charged at he property.

thbe Jun 6, 2017 8:57 am

Originally Posted by mnredfox (Post 28409460)

If you book for 1 person, you can bring one more person with you without additional costs.

For some reasons Conrad BKK and all Hiltons in Thailand are flexible about a second person in a room.

Room rates of THB 2.900 ++ and lower are possible, but not often.

mnredfox Jun 6, 2017 11:58 am

Originally Posted by thbe (Post 28409883)
If you book for 1 person, you can bring one more person with you without additional costs.

For some reasons Conrad BKK and all Hiltons in Thailand are flexible about a second person in a room.

Room rates of THB 2.900 ++ and lower are possible, but not often.

Originally Posted by sbams (Post 28409855)
The site does not take account of your 2nd Guest Stays Free entitlement. Just book for 1 guest and the second will not be charged at he property.

Thanks, will book as advised.

Anyone have hotel (reservations, GM etc) email address? Want to reach out to hotel in advance as this is a honeymoon.