Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in or near San Diego, California, USA {US-CA}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 6, 2014, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Kiwi Flyer
Print Wikipost

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in or near San Diego, California, USA {US-CA}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2003, 9:48 pm

Besides the uninspiring location, is there anything else wrong with the DT Del Mar? Is it sub-par compared to other DTs?

Thanks.
Old Jan 20, 2003, 10:35 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold since '02, Hertz President's Circle since '07
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RallyCap:
Besides the uninspiring location, is there anything else wrong with the DT Del Mar? Is it sub-par compared to other DTs?</font>
I stayed there for a weekend reward stay a few weeks ago. As gold I got upgraded to a corner studio suite and the obligatory breakfast with no problem.

Overall I found it quite nice, and the staff were responsive and helpful. I don't know what other types of problems people have had here, but I had none.

The location is very "businessy", but a close drive to everything in Del Mar.
Old Jan 21, 2003, 9:04 am

Gotta affirm the positive comments on the DT Hazard Center. Easy to get to, 10 minutes from the airport, great location for getting anywhere from this hotel. Have stayed there 3x in the past year, great property, nice rooms, good staff, good food, good lounge. Upgraded on every stay as a Gold, then Diamond. Got a 2BR suite once (didn't want to leave). No business center, but there is a Kinko's next door in the mall.
Old Jan 21, 2003, 9:28 pm

Bump
Old Jan 21, 2003, 10:55 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold since '02, Hertz President's Circle since '07
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RallyCap:
Bump</font>
What, my word wasn't good enough?

Really, though, I thought it was quite nice. In Del Mar it is probably the nicest available hotel. So just stay there. You'll have a fine time.
Old Jan 21, 2003, 11:29 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Location: San Diego, CA , 4.2MM+ AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold
In Mid-July you will be smack in the middle of racing season. Unless you are a horseracing fan, Del Mar is not my favorite place to be at that time of year (and I live in North County!) However, there is also a Hampton Inn right next to the DT in Del Mar.

Don't rule out the Hilton Garden Inn in Carlsbad. Directly across from the beach (Carlsbad State Beach is one of the nicest beaches in all of San Diego.) Easy freeway access - if your plans include the Wild Animal Park, it is the closest Hilton beach property. Great restaurants nearby. A fairly new property, it is a very relaxing place. But, it is not as urban as the DT in Mission Valley (which is a very nice hotel and not nearly as cold as the DT in Del Mar.)

If you don't want the beach as a primary focus, that time of year the DT in Mission Valley also gets my nod. Closest to the Zoo, Balboa Park, great restaurants and shopping nearby and easy access to downtown and the Gaslamp Quarter and the watertaxis to Coronado. If the weather is clear, don't miss the Cabrillo Monument!

Old Jan 21, 2003, 11:50 pm

DT Hazard Center is a very nice property-

We stayed there Memorial Day weekend for 2 nights on a $42 Priceline rate.

The clerk happily accepted a website printout as a substitute for a Gold card that had not yet arrived.

Executive floor didn't have 2 beds, so we were accomodated in a normal room which was just fine.

The executive lounge had a nice continental breakfast, and evening snacks such as hot egg rolls, cheese, crackers, fruit, etc.

Soda, wine, beer, bottled water, and hot beverages were available.
Old Jan 22, 2003, 11:24 am

Thanks Rut Dog. No offense intended

I appreciate the other replies as well.
Old May 27, 2003, 11:42 am

Any Suggestions for San Diego Area Hotels for Vacation with Kids?

We are planning on a San Diego vacation with our two 11 year old kids. We plan to stay six nights (GLON award) in San Diego and visit the San Diego Zoo, Balboa Park, Wild Animal Park, various beaches, maybe Tijuana. We plan to also stay in the Los Angeles area for one night.

We would appreciate suggestions for true suite style hotels that offer a living room (for the kids) that is separate from the bedroom. We would also like a pool for the kids, and a hotel close to a beach (ideally across from a beach).

Based on the "separate" rooms, we have found the two Embassy Suites options in San Diego - downtown and La Jolla. Both have pools, but neither is close to a beach.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.
Old May 27, 2003, 9:35 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Location: San Diego, CA , 4.2MM+ AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold
If I were staying for the length of time you stated with two 11 year olds, I would stay at the Hilton on Mission Bay and either pony up for a suite, or book two adjoining rooms. The La Jolla Embassy suites is a block from my office and it is in more of an "office" type area, though there is a mall across the street and you have excellent freeway access.

The downtown Embassy Suites is also in an "office" area, as are the Double Trees.

The Hilton on Mission Bay has a great pool and is on the bay, truly a "vacation" spot, especially if you are going to hang around the hotel. It is close to Sea World and has easy access to the freeway to get to the zoo and wild animal park.

The only other "beach" hotel (and a very nice property), walking distance to the beach, is the Hilton Garden Inn in Carlsbad. South Carlsbad State Beach is one of the best beaches in San Diego County. You are closer to the Wild Animal Park and Legoland, (and LA) but further from the Zoo, Sea World and Balboa Park.

The Hilton Torrey Pines is not centrally located and is NOT a place to take two 11 year olds. You can't get anywhere without driving, the pool is small, and although the food is very good, it really is not a "vacation" hotel for kids. Neither is the Del Mar Hilton.

You didn't say when you are coming but the Del Mar Fair is on from mid-June through July 4th. June and July are usually very cloudy in San Diego. Last June we hardly saw the sun at the beach all month.

E-mail me if you want restaurant tips and other San Diego things to do with kids.
Old May 27, 2003, 10:57 pm
Original Member

Location: In protest of Flyertalk's uncalledfor censoring of my point of view, I cancelled my InsideFlyer subscription. So long, and thanks for everything.
For three summers in a row we have spent a week at the Embassy Suites La Jolla. They have a small number of double size suites that I've been able to upgrade to as a Diamond. It is a great property, and we drove everywhere anyway, so being downtown made no difference.

Free hot breakfast for the whole family every day, huge suite with fridge, microwave and dining table, great price/points, etc. I strongly recommend.
Old May 28, 2003, 12:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium, AA LT Gold, Radisson Gold, Hertz PC, HP Masters emeritus (sigh)
I stayed at the Downtown ES on a GLON last year and loved it. You can walk to trolleys, harbor shops, and (with a little effort) Horton Plaza, Gastown. There was a fairly steep parking charge, however. Centrally located to the things you're thinking of but finding the freeway can be tricky...
Old May 28, 2003, 8:31 pm
LLM
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Please, do not go to Tijuana.
Old May 28, 2003, 9:11 pm

Thank you for your replies.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FrAAmer:
You didn't say when you are coming but the Del Mar Fair is on from mid-June through July 4th. June and July are usually very cloudy in San Diego. Last June we hardly saw the sun at the beach all month.</font>
We are looking at the first half of August, if we can get hotel availability. Hopefully, there will be some nice sunny days. :-)
Old May 29, 2003, 10:09 am

Embassy Suites La Jolla gets my vote. We travel there about 2 times a year with four kids aged 2-13 and we love it! My husband and I were able to enjoy the evening managers reception while the kids played video games in the room.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.