Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Rome Airport {ITA}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2023, 2:09 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by seapad
Thanks! How did you find the hotel, was it like a regular USA standard hotel?
Very few Hilton properties in Europe are as bad as US Hiltons You will be fine. The worst I had at European Hiltons was worn out old rooms, but never any issues with cleanliness, comfort, stuff not working, etc.
seapad and :D! like this.
Old Dec 2, 2023, 11:35 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
seapad - May I offer some train advice. At Rome Termini Station we tried to buy return tickets to FCO. The train office told us to use the automatic machines. But these machines only take credit cards with a PIN. Our credit cards are tap / swipe / sign. No established PIN. Fortunately we had €14 x 2 = €28 left in cash, otherwise we would have been stuck! 😳
seapad likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2023, 6:28 am

Programs: United 1K, Frontier 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond/ Ambassador/ Milestoner
Sometimes the cruise line offers a tour of the city with a drop off at the airport at 2 or 3pm. If you did that, then you would arrive at the airport at check in time for the Hilton. The tour/ excursion would also be close in price to cruise-airport shuttle plus a round-trip airport train ticket.

A couple of the negative reviews above are mine. We continue to stay there only because of its location. However, of the 20 Hiltons that we have stayed in in Europe, It is at the bottom.
Old Dec 3, 2023, 7:08 am

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
seapad - May I offer some train advice. At Rome Termini Station we tried to buy return tickets to FCO. The train office told us to use the automatic machines. But these machines only take credit cards with a PIN. Our credit cards are tap / swipe / sign. No established PIN. Fortunately we had €14 x 2 = €28 left in cash, otherwise we would have been stuck! 😳
This is true. But it is something that American travelers to Europe need to know. While most places in Europe accept US credit cards without PINs, public transit is one place PINs are almost universally required.
Old Dec 3, 2023, 8:01 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by BlueZebra
This is true. But it is something that American travelers to Europe need to know. While most places in Europe accept US credit cards without PINs, public transit is one place PINs are almost universally required.
It's not really about what you buy but how you buy it. The issue with PIN-less cards generally concerns non-manned points of sale, i.e. ticket machines. If you get your tickets from a ticket office (where available), it's not an issue. In many cities it's also possible to get tickets via an app (but I don't think that includes Rome) to get around this, and of course in most cities (again, not Rome) you can pay contactless in which case the PIN issue disappears.
​​​​
​​
Old Dec 3, 2023, 4:50 pm

Programs: UA AU MM,HH Diamond,Hyatt Globalist , Marriott Gold
I spent one night there before a flight home in September. Room was fine, although there was only one pair of slippers and the lounge was packed. I did overhear one guy yelling because the slippers wern’t provided and he paid more for that, etc. I was upgraded as diamond and would stay there again without hesitation.
Old Dec 4, 2023, 4:38 pm

Thank you so much all for the great feedback. I think I will go with the flow, and set my expectation appropriately
It is true the big factor is its proximity in the airport. I'll book it. Thanks!
thirdpassport likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2023, 6:52 am

Staying here tomorrow and already been upgraded to junior suite (woohoo!)

As I'm arriving around 5pm is there any dinner suggestions aside from the hotel restaurant nearby? Keen to hear any suggestions.

Will also be checking out the executive lounge if anyone wants to know anything.
yyzflyer likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2023, 4:10 am

7-8 years ago, after the New Year holidays, our flight was postponed on our way back from Rome. So we stayed in this property one night and I reminisce the room was very cold. Kind housekeeping lady (remember she was Ukrainian) explained that the heating system was out of order and brought more blankets

Breakfast was really good.
Old Dec 22, 2023, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
This PIN issue has also happened to me at smaller Italian Gas Stations during the lunchtime hours / siesta / riposo on multiple occasions / twice when returning a car near an airport. First time I had cash and the machine accepted bills so I got gas but had no idea how much I needed and the machine gave no change. Needed to fill up so had to over-estimated by using larger bills. Printed me a receipt and if I stuck around for the shop to open back up I would be able to get change but had to catch a flight.
Second time I was wiser? I just left when the card would not work and returned the car not full ; paying extra for Hertz to fill it at my expense.
Larger gas stations along the highway or any manned station it has never been an issue for me to use a US credit card. When you run into this PIN issue (rare cases like described) a US Debit Card with a Pin also does not work in my experience as I tried every thing I could without success.
restlessinRNO likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.