FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   Hilton Rome Airport {ITA} (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/450032-hilton-rome-airport-ita.html)

doc Nov 19, 1999 7:36 am

Hilton Rome Airport {ITA}

An new alternative for HHonors points and possible good rates at the Rome Airport. See www.hilton.com

JGill Nov 22, 1999 12:32 pm

I will be staying there later this week, and will let you know !

------------------

sergio Nov 24, 1999 2:42 pm

what's the classification of this new hotel?

JGill Nov 25, 1999 5:25 am

The Rome Airport hotel is a SELECT property. There was much confusion on this before it opened. The Internet site read Classic, and reservations had it as a Premium, but I HHonors called me and advised that it was Select.

------------------

JGill Dec 2, 1999 1:59 pm

Hilton Rome Airport Trip Reports and Reviews

Visited the Rome Airport Hilton this week.

Nice surprise. Brand new hotel, and the only hotel on the airport property (DaVinci Fumicino Rome FCO airport). Very helpful staff, great rooms, but no resturaunt yet, as only 20% or so of the rooms are open. Train is readily available to downtown Rome.

Stayed on a weekend HHonors Select certificate

------------------

doc Mar 2, 2001 8:11 am

Hilton Rome Airport is a welcome addition

It's been an eternity since there's been a newly built hotel in the Eternal City, so the Hilton Rome Airport is a welcome addition. The stylish, 517-room property has all the modern conveniences so often lacking in older Roman properties: air conditioning and double-glazed windows; work desks with convenient electrical connections; telephones with voice mail and dataports; ample meeting space and a business center; and a fitness center with tennis courts and an indoor pool. Yes, the hotel is at Fiumicino Airport, but that disadvantage is mitigated by the property's six daily complimentary shuttle buses to central Rome. Besides, covered walkways link the hotel to the "Leonardo Express" that connects the airport and Rome's Termini station with nonstop trains that operate every 30 minutes. Nightly rates are extremely reasonable by the inflated standards of Rome. I've found--and booked--prices as low as 315,000 lira (about $150) on the Hilton Web site. Don't forget to tell 'em "Joe Sent Me."

-Joe B.
biztravel.com

vindesante Mar 4, 2001 7:08 am

We stayed there last summer and got a rate of less than $150. One catch, they wanted to charge us for the second person(adult) in the room and wanted twice the rate I had booked the room for! They only would give us the original rate if I was a Hilton HHonors member, which fortunately I am. And when we went to check out the charge was still at the much higher rate, it took me twenty minutes to straighten out at the front desk. The hotel was ok, we appreciated having the shuttle running into the city.

DOC 2 BE Mar 4, 2001 7:28 am

I love your handle as I love the wine as I was introduced to it in Firenze last November!

How frequently did the shuttles run to/from the city? Did you ever use the train to Termini station? Did the put you on an Exec floor and provide you with all the benefits due a HHonors member?

Thanx for the information!

aflyer Mar 4, 2001 9:40 am

Here's my experience of a couple weeks ago as a diamond member:

1) nice large western-style room with nice large marble bathroom.

2) Executive floor with nice executive lounge, with breakfast each morning, and complimentary snacks and drinks in the evening

3) Bus service 6X a day, starting at 10am, running every two hours approximately, with the first bus back to the hotel from Downtown at about 11:30am, last bus back is at about 10:30pm I think. It drops off and picks up right by Capitol Hill/Vittorio Emmanuel Monument (sp?)

4) Because we wanted to get an earlier start than getting into town at 10:30am on the bus, we paid for the train each morning. The first express train to Termini station leaves at 7:37am. It costs about US$8 per person per direction. However, there is another train (leaves from track one, not track 3, which is the express to termini) which is HALF the cost, but does NOT go to termini...but it DOES take you, in the same amount of time (actually a couple minutes less) to two different train stations which both have Metro stops...so if you want to just get to the metro, you can do that in less time with less money by taking the other train.

5) didn't use any other hotel facilities, except room service/restaurant. Prices were predictably over-priced. $15 hamburgers, etc.

6) VERY nice to simply walk out of your flight from the US with your bags straight to the hotel via the walkway, into our room, quickly freshen up, and be on the way to downtown rome...then at the end, simply pack your bag and walk to your flight. No struggling with luggage all the way into town.

Those are my thoughts for now. If you don't mind 30 minutes to and from downtown at the beginning and end of each day (it was no big deal. The bus was very nice, and the train was, too!) this is a great option. Check for point stretchers. That's what we used!

schriste Mar 4, 2001 3:06 pm

I spent one evening at the Rome Airport Hilton last month. I agree with most of aflyer’s comments. As Gold I too was upgraded to the executive floor. Not a bad place, but I would only stay there if you have an early morning flight out the next day, or arrive late in the day. You get no sense at all of being in Rome at this hotel.
It's like a Hilton in Ohio.
The 2nd class fare on the local train to Rome Ostiensa or Rome Tiburtina is 9,000 lire. You can either take the Metro (always PACKED), tram, or bus further into town. The 1st class express non-stop to Rome Termini is 16,000 lire… I think (forgot since I took the local). Also: you can get a day ticket on all Rome transport (excluding the airport) for 6,000 lire.

DOC 2 BE Mar 4, 2001 3:31 pm

Thanx AFlyer and SChriste for the heads up.

I wish Hilton would build/buy a property in downtown Rome like Marriott did with the Grand Flora.

I understand that they want to focus on the business traveler and thus the newer aiport hotels in Paris, Rome and Copenhagen, but wouldn't they be better served by capturing both the business and leisure traveler buying building/buying in downtown locations?

[This message has been edited by DOC 2 BE (edited 03-04-2001).]

mtacchi Mar 6, 2001 3:34 pm

How about the Cavaleri Hilton? One of the nicest in the world.

aflyer Mar 6, 2001 4:01 pm

Originally posted by mtacchi:
How about the Cavaleri Hilton? One of the nicest in the world.
Yeah, and less convenient than even the airport, from what I hear, in that there's no subway or train, and busses are infrequent. Not to mention that it costs about 3 times as much. Still, you're right. It is nice...though NOT downtown.

DOC 2 BE Mar 6, 2001 4:27 pm

Yeah, I heard it is real nice and the restaurant is to die for, but it is NOT downtown. I think I might try an award stay there and rent a car to travel to sites not in Rome, but nearby, like the Etruscan sites, etc. I would do it in the summer so I can take advantage of their swimmming pool, and sort of use it as a resort. I think it has free parking, as well.

Any comments on this prospective plan?

[This message has been edited by DOC 2 BE (edited 03-06-2001).]

FTraveler Mar 6, 2001 4:52 pm

Cavalieri Hilton is definitely a nice play to stay if you're into remote, resort type atmosphere. They do have a free shuttle service into the city and taxis are plentiful. Rooms facing the city have spectacular views.

DOC 2 BE, I give you a heck of a lot of credit if you intend to drive in Rome. It's crazy! Trains will take you just about anywhere in Italy and are pretty cheap. Or avoid all the hassle and hire a driver with car.