Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Physical certificate needed for reward stay?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Physical certificate needed for reward stay?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2002, 5:35 pm
Original Poster

Award Certificate

So what happens when the property you're staying at for two days, and then check out, does not collect the reward certificate?
Old Aug 25, 2002, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
I suppose they expect you to be honest and fax a copy of it to them with a note explaining you forgot to give it to them/the res clerk forgot to ask for it when you checked in.
Old Aug 25, 2002, 10:29 pm
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by syzygy8:
So what happens when the property you're staying at for two days, and then check out, does not collect the reward certificate?</font>

Charge you the full rate listed on the reservation?

I agree with Shareholder. If you make a reservation using certificates - car, air or hotel - then you should be responsible for giving it to them.
Old Aug 26, 2002, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Don't get me wrong, I did give it to them. But I waited until after check out and they sent me on my with a "Have a safe trip home." I think I was just testing to see if it was possible for them to go through the stay without asking....and then asking you folks what you thought would happen if it wasn't handed in.
Old Dec 21, 2003, 5:22 am

Programs: Delta Plat, HHonors Diamond, PC Platinum, Hertz PC
Award Stay check in and didn't ask for my certificate

Hi all,

Yesterday I checked in for an award stay for 5 nights at a Hilton..and they didn't ask me for my certificate. He confirmed it was an award stay, I initialed it, and I even asked if he needed a credit card for incidentals, and he said not necessary. No mention of my certificate...

I just thought it was rather odd.
Old Dec 21, 2003, 6:14 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Interesting. The certs certainly are not unique in that they can be printed over and over again if you receive them by email. I would think that they would at least want to number off of it. When I made my recent award stay, I simply told them that I had the cert but they did not ask for the number or anything like that.
Old Dec 21, 2003, 8:04 am

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
I've had them collect them at the end of my stay.
I imagine they asked for your credit card - if at the end of the stay you don't give them a cert, they will probably end up charging you for the stay.
Old Dec 21, 2003, 11:41 am

Travelinggal: which hotel was that? My experience is that they( hotel). received Certificate from HH directly
Old Dec 21, 2003, 12:50 pm

Programs: AA LT Platinum, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by travellinggal040361:
Hi all,

Yesterday I checked in for an award stay for 5 nights at a Hilton..and they didn't ask me for my certificate. He confirmed it was an award stay, I initialed it, and I even asked if he needed a credit card for incidentals, and he said not necessary. No mention of my certificate...

I just thought it was rather odd.
</font>
I have had this happen. They will likely ask for the cert by the time you check out.

It's possible they could charge you the rate they actually bill HHonors or the rack rate.

Best advice is to give them the cert asap to avoid hassles later.

Old Dec 21, 2003, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA MM, Hilton-Dia
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by best:
Travelinggal: which hotel was that? My experience is that they( hotel). received Certificate from HH directly</font>
My experience has been the direct opposite. Maybe you are thinking about Marriott? AFAIK, there is no e-cert; the alternative is a fax (which you explicitly request) to the hotel directly. In some cases, I've found that noting the cert number in the comments section of your reservation is apparently enough for a small minority of properties.

Old Dec 21, 2003, 2:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by chix:
I have had this happen. They will likely ask for the cert by the time you check out.

It's possible they could charge you the rate they actually bill HHonors or the rack rate.

Best advice is to give them the cert asap to avoid hassles later.

</font>

No CC and no cert? I'm not suggesting this should be done, but basically, you could walk right out of the door and deny ever being there. I'm not sure what the hotel is thinking in this case, but this is indeed very strange.
Old Dec 21, 2003, 2:18 pm

I looked at my reservation...cert # is in there..

I'm at the Hilton in Greenville, SC...very nice Hilton..great fitness room...upgraded to a towers suite...executive lounge is closed for the holidays, but received coupons for breakfast.

But still think its odd they didn't want my credit card for incidentals..
Old Dec 21, 2003, 2:26 pm

Are you sure you didn't give a credit card number when you made your award reservation?
Old Dec 21, 2003, 2:32 pm

Yes I did give a credit card for my reservation, but I do that everytime I make a reservation(award and for a charge), and they always want an imprint of my card.
Old Dec 21, 2003, 2:54 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by travellinggal040361:
they always want an imprint of my card.</font>
Actually, this is property-specific (and not just at Hiltons). Some hotels insist on making an imprint at check-in, some (e.g., Hilton DCA in Crystal City) say they don't need it since the number is on file.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.