Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Los Angeles/Universal City {US-CA}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Los Angeles/Universal City {US-CA}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2006, 6:22 am
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
Sounds like the suite the hotel gave me on my wedding night, nineteen years ago. Presume they have changed the furniture though .

Hotel was not a Hilton in those days. It was the "Regency", or "Registry", or something like that, and had only been open a year or two.
Old Aug 31, 2006, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
I have always heard great things about this hotel. I have been to many events there, but never stayed overnight. I think it's the hotel where they keep the American Idol people during the first few rounds--just in case you want to know!
Old Aug 31, 2006, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
And for those marketing folks from Hilton...

Another reason why great service can make a difference. I now know where I will stay when I am in the area. Never would have thought about it if the service had not been so good that the OP had felt a need to post it.

Mike
Old Aug 31, 2006, 9:28 pm
Suspended

I have an upcoming affair there in little over a week. I understand that they charge $8 for parking. Can anyone who has stayed there suggest if there is street parking nearby? Thanks I feel its gonna be a SOL situation
Old Sep 1, 2006, 2:17 am
PeS

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond, BA Gold
Originally Posted by craz
I have an upcoming affair there in little over a week. I understand that they charge $8 for parking. Can anyone who has stayed there suggest if there is street parking nearby? Thanks I feel its gonna be a SOL situation
I would be glad paying $8 for hotel parking. Most of European Hiltons charge you between 25-30 (= $30-40).
Old Sep 1, 2006, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by craz
I self parked and it was $14 for one night. I don't think you will find any place to park near the hotel since it is right near the park and other hotels, I would imagine free parking is non-existent.
Old Apr 23, 2007, 1:57 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AA, BA, CO, and more
Update

Has anyone stayed here recently?
can anyone comment on the condition of the rooms and spaces?
Thank you.
Old May 29, 2007, 1:34 pm

Just got back from a 3 night stay over Memorial Day weekend at the Universal City Hilton. Booked a AAA rate ($138/night) on the Hilton website for a two bed N/S room for me and my 11 y.o. son. I am a lowly HH Silver, so I wasn't expecting any perks.

Parking: Self parking is $15/day with in/out privileges in their garage. Even though the hotel was busy we had no problems finding a parking spot.

Check-in: Quickly accomplished after our 5 hour drive down from Sacramento - much appreciated since it had been a long day. There is a separate line for HH members but no need for us to use it. I was requested to show my AAA card since we booked that affinity rate.

Room: Assigned a 12th floor room with a view of the main entrance of Universal Studios and Citywalk. A welcome basket containing assorted fresh fruit, a package of dried fruit, two packages of Oreo cookies, two Fiji bottled waters, and a tin of dark tiramisu chocolate was waiting. Nice surprise! Even better the next morning a second basket was dropped off. I'm pretty sure that was a mistake, but we weren't complaining!

A standard, very clean Hilton room. Marble bathroom with Crabtree soap, shampoo and mouthwash. Telephone next to toilet if you happen to need to place or receive a call. Shower water pressure was anemic but temperature was fine. Beds were very comfortable with 4 pillows on each full size bed and really nice bedding. A keyed safe, minibar, workdesk and a chair with ottoman rounded out the furnishings.

Food: We didn't eat at the Hilton but walked through their buffet a few times to/from the parking garage elevator. The food looked really good, wide selection of meats and seafood from what I could see. However on both Saturday and Sunday the lines to feed at the trough were kind of long. We chose to eat over at Citywalk instead. Which, as it turned out, was just as crowded.

Pool: :Outdoor pool, nothing special, plenty of towels and lounge chairs.

Staff: :Always quick to say hello, welcome you back to the property, how are things with your stay?, etc. The staff we interacted with seemed to like their jobs.

Location: This is the perfect property to stay at if you are visiting Universal Studios and/or Citywalk. As other posters have mentioned it is an easy walk over, or you can take the free tram from the front of the hotel. The hotel is close to the Hollywood Freeway (US-101). There is a metro stop at the bottom of the hill from the hotel in case you want to visit Hollywood or the Civic Center (i.e. Olvera Street) without driving.

Last edited by El Cochinito; May 29, 2007 at 1:37 pm Reason: Correct tags
Old Jul 24, 2007, 8:37 am

Programs: HH-Diamond, Scandic Top Floor, *SK-G, Choice Club Gold
Hilton Universal City and UCLA

I am to attend a conference at UCLA (Anderson School of Management).

As I (or rather my employer) is not prepared to pay $450+ for Beverly Hilton (2 miles away), the second closest Hilton property seems to be the Hilton at Universal 6,5 miles away(for $150/night).

Being from Europe I have some difficulties estimating tiem and costs between these two points. Will there be any heavy trafic in the morings? How much should I expect a cab ride to cost? Would you guys recommend me to rent a car instead? (if yes, how are the parking availabilities at this Hotel and at UCLA?)
Old Jul 24, 2007, 8:55 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
The distance between UCLA and the Universal Hilton is a bit misleading. While it's a little less than 7 miles, there is really no direct way to get from Universal City (in the San Fernando Valley) to Westwood (in the LA Basin), as there is a small mountain range seperating the two. I've had to make the morning drive "over the hill" from nearby Studio City into Beverly Hills in the morning and it can take well over an hour on surface streets.

If you are set on Hilton, I wouls think the LAX Hilton would be a faster commute from LAX to Westwood (you would be near the 405 freeway and the morning drive isn't bad north of the 10 interchange); even the Downtown Checkers would be probably a better commute (as you would be travelling against the majority of rush hour traffic.

Here in LA, taxis are really, really expensive; I can see you paying at least $100 a day for cabs to/from Universal City to Westwood. I think you'll be better off renting a car.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 11:37 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Or just suck it up this time and <gasp> stay at a closer property that's <gasp> non-hilton.

If you like Starwood, there are several options in that area.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 12:58 pm

I would stay at the Hilton Universal City for the rate you got ^....Great location,older but a well maintain property. I would just rent a cheap rental car.......If you decide to get closer stay near LAX ,as the other person said......This might help if you stay near LAX...GOOD LUCK http://map.ais.ucla.edu/portal/site/UCLA
Old Jul 24, 2007, 1:00 pm

I would stay at the Hilton Universal City for the rate you got ^....Great location,older but a well maintain property. I would just rent a cheap rental car.......If you decide to get closer stay near LAX ,as the other person said......This might help if you stay near LAX...GOOD LUCK http://map.ais.ucla.edu/portal/site/UCLA http://rentalcarmomma.com/ ....This is the view from the 15th floor at the Hilton Universal City http://flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=132076647&size=l .....I was on the 26th.

Last edited by porkchop922; Jul 24, 2007 at 1:16 pm
Old Jul 24, 2007, 1:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
You could also stay at the Doubletree in Santa Monica. Don't know the rate, but the commute to UCLA would be easy even during rush hour. It's also close to (not on) the beach & restaurants/shops. Cheers.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 7:53 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond; United 1P; Marriott Silver; Hilton-Silver
As has been suggested, LAX is probably the best option if price is an issue and you wish to stay at a Hilton. The Doubletree Santa monica isn't that close and is probably a lot more expensive. Time wise, it depends what time you need to attend the conference. Without traffic, SM to UCLA is pretty quick, about 30 minutes. During rush hour, from SM to UCLA is probably about 1 hour and a half. LAX to UCLA is about an hour during rush hour. Side streets are also a decent option from LAX and you have a lot more choices of hotels. Universal to LAX is probably an hour and a half. I don't really know though. The 101 is packed in the morning, so the best option is probably side streets, which i'm guessing will be busy.

I'd go for the rental if you can find a really cheap rate ($30) or want to look around the city. Taxis are expensive. From LAX, a five mile ride is about $40. From your hotel to UCLA is probably about $30-$40 depending on distance. Parking at LAX hotels is about $10-$15 per day, SM and univeral probably a lot more. Parking at UCLA is $8. No real street parking options around Anderson.

Last edited by kimag; Jul 24, 2007 at 8:08 pm Reason: reconsidered recommendation

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.