FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   Hilton Los Angeles/Universal City {US-CA} (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/415628-hilton-los-angeles-universal-city-us-ca.html)

MisterNice Jan 25, 2002 1:46 pm

Hilton Los Angeles/Universal City {US-CA}

I need to stay in this general area for a few days in Feb and cannot locate any info on this hotel (or any other closeby HH properities). Does anyone have any info or suggestions?

MisterNice

Scott the flier Jan 25, 2002 2:04 pm

I stayed there in Nov 2000 and it was a nice hotel, although the surrounding area outside the Universal Park area were a little run down. It is most assuredly a hotel where a car is required just to get anywhere. I ran over to Universal for a few hours after working ever day and had a great time. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif

------------------
Cheers Scott

Baze Jan 25, 2002 3:20 pm

Don't know if it is still there, but a few years ago there was a restaurant accross 101 from Universal studios called Machellis (I think). Great Italian restaurant and the waiters/waitresses sing. Encourange the patrons to join in. Was a lot of fun. Hope it is still there.

MIKEM Jan 25, 2002 10:58 pm

I live in the area and have business guests stay there all the time, I highly recommend the place. Attached to the hotel is Universal Studios (a real movie studio) and Universal Citywalks. The Citywalks is a huge mall type amusement center. A five minute cab ride puts you at Groman's Chinese Theatre. That area used to be run down but was revitalised recntly with the addition of the Kodak Theatre and shopping/dining complex. The next Acadamy Awards will be held there, marking a return to the original location in the early twenties. For a few days stay in LA, you won't be sorry. If you're looking for things to do respond back to the post and I'll make some recommendations. You may be able to get a room rate of $125 if you hurry.

pointman Jan 26, 2002 12:25 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Baze:
Don't know if it is still there, but a few years ago there was a restaurant accross 101 from Universal studios called Machellis (I think). Great Italian restaurant and the waiters/waitresses sing. Encourange the patrons to join in. Was a lot of fun. Hope it is still there.</font>
I was there in October and can confirm that Machellis is still there. It is apparently pretty popular as someone on the plane told us about it. However, it is a real, small local type resturaunt, not a touristy chain type place. Just perfect IMHO. It's on the back side, bottom of the hill.
The Hilton is in a great location for Universal Studios of course, but also easy access to Hollywood and Beverly hills.
I hate to admidt this, but my wife and I had a day to kill so we spent the day driving all over. We drove on Muholland Dr (sp?) across the entire mountain, up and down the Blvd, and through Beverly Hills etc. Yes, we even bought one of those star maps and hunted a few of them down. Don't laugh, it was actually very fun and a great scenic self tour. That map took us to places I would never have otherwise gone. Check out Speilburg's house (aka: the Fortress).

Craig6z Jan 26, 2002 7:28 am

The proper restaurant spelling is "Miceli's".

MisterNice Jan 29, 2002 4:23 pm

Thanks guys, this place looking nicer and nicer. The Hilton CS reps sez the Towers lounge will be open for my stay Sun Feb 17 and they will have comp nibblies, comp booze etc and comp cont breakfast the next day for the Golds and Diamonds. Is the lounge really like this? I personally know the Woodland Hills exec lounge is really a great place, but it is now closed Fri, Sat and Sun eve according to a traveling friend. I booked it for Monday as I gotta go to Frys nearby to stock up on cheap computer parts etc.

Does one need advance reservations for Miceli's and if so how far in advance?

MisterNice

Craig6z Jan 29, 2002 6:32 pm

MisterNice,

Send me an email if you have a minute. My office is within walking distance of Fry's in Woodland Hills.

Craig

MisterNice Jan 31, 2002 2:45 pm

.............YGM

MisterNice

sanFF Feb 2, 2002 11:03 am

I am going with the family in March without a
car and I found the Burbank Hilton was the best for this senario. They offer free shuttle to BUR airport and the Studios and offer a $128 room with two free tickets to the park. The Universal Hilton offered no transportation to BUR and for $150 a night with no free tickets. Any thoughts or experiences here? Thanks

Craig6z Feb 2, 2002 12:37 pm

Never stayed at the BUR Hilton, but their "Daily Grill" restaurant is a unit of a first rate LA chain.

MIKEM Feb 2, 2002 1:02 pm

SanFF,

The Burbank Hilton is accross the street from the Burbank Airport. It is located in the midst of industrial buildings, the old Lockheed. There is nothing near by, within walking distance, literally nothing. It further is my experience that you need to tip the free shuttle people. I believe you you will save money by staying at this property. However, you will have a much better time at the Universal Hilton.

The Sheraton Universal City is rigght next door to the Hilton Universal city. The weekend rate is $129, maybe cheaper if you have some type of Starwood cert. Not sure about free shuttle.

[This message has been edited by MIKEM (edited 02-02-2002).]

MisterNice Feb 19, 2002 5:36 pm

Ok I stayed there and am a HH Diamond. Upgraded to the Towers w/o a problem to a very large room. The lounge is open 7 days/week evenings only. Mucho food with the Mex dishes loaded with onions. Some breaded deep fried mushrooms upped the oily calorie count. Fresh fruit and sammishes completed the food. Mixed drinks are weak and $6. Wine is $4. Two attendants and 8 customers. The Sheraton appeared a little run down and was the same price.

You get a cert for breakfast in the downstairs restaurant worth $6.95 on any menu item or the buffet......or for a standard continental breakfast of waiter-delivered juice, coffee, e-muffin, blueberry muffin and mixed fruit. No matter what you tell the waiter he brings this........"I know you did not want the "X" but I brought it for you any way". For a place constantly quoting "itsa been bad since 9/11" they could probably save some money by NOT having a grand piano breakfast pianist. Valet parking is a whopping $16 and 3 different guests were complaining about long distance charges to nearby locations. One is instructed to make all local calls by dialing 9-1-(AC)-number. Ouch!

MisterNice

DerikG Mar 18, 2002 5:59 pm

LA Universal Hilton questions?

Any opinions of this property? Is there a lounge - staff - location from LAX etc\

Thanks!

63A?-OK! Mar 18, 2002 8:46 pm

nice property (nicer than Beverly Hills)! - told them I was on my honeymoon and they upgraded us to a corner suite.....
drawback is that it is about a 40 minute drive to LAX.....