Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Honors Credit Card (UK)- Worth Keeping?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2005, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, Virgin Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Plat

Like a number of UK based HH members last year I signed up for the HHonors Plat credit card with the initial bonus (5k hh points I think?).

However compared to most other financial cards linked to hotel or airline loyalty programs this doesn't seem to be particularly rewarding or generous. I rarely receive any interesting offers.

Quite frankly as a HH Diamond, I'm not sure there is any ongoing benefit of keeping the card.

I'd be interested to get thoughts from those who are still using the card 12 months after signing up and what benefits you're still receiving, tks
Old Mar 18, 2005, 1:58 am

Originally Posted by GottaFly
I'd be interested to get thoughts from those who are still using the card 12 months after signing up and what benefits you're still receiving, tks
Hi,

Are you referring to the card issued via Beneficial Bank found at www.hilton.co.uk/creditcard? I am still using mine - it has been dormant for a while as they offered me a very low (1.9%?) balance transfer which I took advantage of and have been paying off but once it is paid off I will start using it again.

I like the extra Hhonors points it gives me!

decemmie
Old Mar 18, 2005, 2:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by decemmie
Hi,

Are you referring to the card issued via Beneficial Bank found at www.hilton.co.uk/creditcard? ...

I like the extra Hhonors points it gives me!

decemmie
Yes thats the one. I haven't had the need to use the balance transfer offer, but clearly its a competitive rate for a loyalty cc.

Have you received any 'not be missed' or unique offers since you've had the card?
Old Mar 18, 2005, 2:50 am

Programs: Hhonors (Diamond); HGVC (Elite); Ex/Comp'd - Priority Club (Platinum); UA (Gold); KLM (Gold);
I use it. For me it's not about low interest rates or special offers, it's all about Hhonors points ... points make prizes (hoildays!!)
Old Mar 18, 2005, 8:32 am

Is the joining bonus still available? (The website is down). I'd previously looked at getting the card, but, as you say, it isn't very generous. But I'd sign up for a free 5K.
Old Mar 18, 2005, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Amex Membership Rewards has the same transfer rate into HH points (£1 = 2HH points). So, arguably, you may as well use Amex since - if it turns out you don't need the HH points - you are also able to move them somewhere else.

To be honest, though, the card seems a bit weak on benefits. Compare it with the UK BMI Mastercard.

Taking out the BMI card (20,000 BMI Miles) and spending £12,000 on it (18,000 BMI Miles) gives you enough miles for a BUSINESS CLASS flight on Star Alliance from the UK to the US, Latin America, the Carribbean, Africa or India / Pakistan. All you need to pay is a c £250 co-payment plus taxes.

Take out the Hilton card (5,000 HH points) and spending £12,000 (24,000 HH points) gives you enough points for one night in a half-decent hotel.

I know which one is a better deal for me.
Old Mar 18, 2005, 9:07 am

RJB: Couldn't agree more. The BD card gets my spending too.

But I'm not going to argue at 5K HH points for free.
Old Mar 18, 2005, 10:20 am

do you pay an annual fee? If not, I would keep it.

I have a similar US card. I have one recurring bill set up for automatic payment on the card. I get about 40 hilton points a month this way. It keeps my account active and keeps the points from expiring.
Old Mar 18, 2005, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RJB
Amex Membership Rewards has the same transfer rate into HH points (£1 = 2HH points). So, arguably, you may as well use Amex since - if it turns out you don't need the HH points - you are also able to move them somewhere else.

Taking out the BMI card (20,000 BMI Miles) and spending £12,000 on it (18,000 BMI Miles) gives you enough miles for a BUSINESS CLASS flight on Star Alliance from the UK to the US, Latin America, the Carribbean, Africa or India / Pakistan. All you need to pay is a c £250 co-payment plus taxes.

I know which one is a better deal for me.
You're right on the money RJB (like, the pun ?....ok ok I tried )

I already carry both the BA Prem Plus card and the BMI Plat card though the latter hasn't seem much action lately. Thanks for doing the math, I may need to switch some of my expenditure to the BMI card as soon as I hit the £15K threshold.

LemonThrower - yes the card is fee free, but isn't as generous as the AMEX HH card in the US, which (last time I checked) is approx 30% more generous than the UK Mastercard version with Beneficial Bank. As a Diamond keeping my points alive isn't really an issue right now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.