Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Munich, Germany {DEU}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Munich, Germany {DEU}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2003, 4:32 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by transpac:
I saw the posters about the construction, they use a cute mole character, but I thought this was primarily nights and weekends?
</font>
The building work is going on on all stations along the "main trunk" of the S-Bahn network between München Pasing and the Ostbahnhof due to modernisations of the network now that new trains have been introduced.

The works are done all weekend (Fri 21.20 - Mon 04.00) as well as during week-nights (Mon-Fri 21.30 to 04.00). During these times no S-Bahn will be available.

The U-Bahn network is not affected at all.

German speakers can get further information at www.mvv-muenchen.de
Old Mar 19, 2003, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
The Hilton Park is a great hotel with an excellent lounge.

The #17 Streetcar (Straßenbahn) stops just 2 blocks away from the Hilton Park. There's also a bus that stops right outside the door.

The #17 will take you downtown with no change of streetcars. It runs every 15 minutes or so, and the trip is no more than 10-15 minutes. You also see more of the city as you travel by streetcar.

We stayed at the Park on a GLON last month, and after the first few days of taking the subway, we pretty much stopped using the subway and opted for streetcars instead. They were very efficient, you see more of the city's character, and you know where you are when you get off of them. Just navigating the underground malls from the subways and trying to figure out which exit to street level to use at a major stop with a dozen exits when you have no landmarks to guide you can waste a lot of time.

Besides, the streetcar stops have cooler names than the subway stops. Can you say "Mauerkircherstraße?"

German public transit is extremely efficient. When it says the streetcar shows up at 11:03, it shows up at 11:03.
Old Mar 20, 2003, 9:57 am

I would try the Kings Hotel in the Dachauer Straße. It's rather small with a homey feel to it.
The rooms are pretty small but they have nice furniture and wonderful four poster beds.
They have a wonderful tea-selection for breakfast and a sauna to relax in.
It is also very close to the main station (about a 3 minute walk).
Old Mar 20, 2003, 4:10 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton, Hertz, Enterprise
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by LemonThrower:
330C, I am jealous. I hope to do that someday. What port are you dropping your car off? </font>
I'm dropping off in Munich (EH Harms) since I am staying the whole time in Munich. I'm taking my 10 year old son and we are doing Legoland, Neuschwainstein and the BMW factory tour.

They have drop off points all over Europe, but if you do it, don't drop off in Italy because they DRIVE YOUR CAR back to Munich!

It is a great deal, save 7% off of MSRP and if you use miles/points the trip is basically free (except for beer, gas, beer, food, beer, souvenirs, beer and also beer).

SteveH
Old Mar 20, 2003, 4:22 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton, Hertz, Enterprise
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by channa:
The Hilton Park is a great hotel with an excellent lounge.

The #17 Streetcar (Straßenbahn) stops just 2 blocks away from the Hilton Park. There's also a bus that stops right outside the door.

The #17 will take you downtown with no change of streetcars. It runs every 15 minutes or so, and the trip is no more than 10-15 minutes. You also see more of the city as you travel by streetcar.

We stayed at the Park on a GLON last month, and after the first few days of taking the subway, we pretty much stopped using the subway and opted for streetcars instead. They were very efficient, you see more of the city's character, and you know where you are when you get off of them. Just navigating the underground malls from the subways and trying to figure out which exit to street level to use at a major stop with a dozen exits when you have no landmarks to guide you can waste a lot of time.

Besides, the streetcar stops have cooler names than the subway stops. Can you say "Mauerkircherstraße?"

German public transit is extremely efficient. When it says the streetcar shows up at 11:03, it shows up at 11:03.
</font>
Do they have a multi-day pass available? I will not drive/park my new car anywhere but at the hotel!

SteveH

Old Mar 20, 2003, 8:33 pm

I think there is a 3-day tourist card. You can buy them in the information station at the train station, which is on your right as you exit the front of the station.
Old Mar 21, 2003, 12:55 am
Original Member

Munich Public Transportation in English:

http://www.mvv-muenchen.de/en/mvv-in...ice/index.html

Tourist Information

http://www.muenchen-tourist.de/deuts...comecard_m.htm

and

http://www.muenchen-tourist.de/muenchen-index_m.htm

[This message has been edited by michilo (edited 03-21-2003).]
Old Mar 25, 2003, 8:03 pm

Only 1 night? Munich deserves more than that!
We (wife and I) spent a lovely 4 days in munich sept 02.
Stayed at the Hilton park, easy enough to get to, lovely walk thourgh the english garten, but didn't enjoy the service too much. there was a large conference on at the time so no upgrade for us Gold.
After three nights, moved to Hilton City. Much better service (and attitude), and upgraded which always makes a difference, and i thought the 10 min walk to the main square was acceptable too. The subway below was great for an early morning ride to the airport.
If you get time, take the Hitler Walking tour around Munich, really fasinating and a good way to see a lot of the city. Enjoy.
Old Mar 25, 2003, 8:29 pm

If not too late, for only ONE night, the Hilton Park in way to far out from Centre City. cathaana suggestion of the King Hotel is a good one. good luck
Old Mar 26, 2003, 2:27 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
I'm always amazed at what people consider "convenient."

The Hilton Park couldn't be easier to get to (tram #17, which runs late) and it's a waaaaay better property than the City. You can pick up Tram 17 at the Hauptbahnhof, which connects to the S1 train that goes into Franz Joseph, or catch the Lufthansa shuttle bus (very comfy and not expensive). Even with luggage I had no problem with the tram.

I've had terrific service there every time, the City was fine as well.

[This message has been edited by essxjay (edited 03-26-2003).]
Old Mar 28, 2003, 1:43 am
In Memoriam

Munich City Comments I checked in last night for an 8 night stay.)

0800 Calls (read ATT) E2.50 Each
No Newspaper
No Welcome set up
Continental Breakfast only
As I already knew, no lounge

and a charming little rate of E230.00

and what really hacked me off was the concierge told me that they had no RS232(internet access) cables, I should bring my own! I did get the duty manager involved who showed me his credibility in the first thirty seconds of the call, he lied and said he ordered the diamond set up that morning. In fact, I called at three that afternoon to tell them I was coming one day early.

Needless to say, I am leaving for the Park location. Never ever again will I darken their doorway.

Avoid this place, it is a cash generation machine without regard to customers, HHonors Program, or good manners.
Old Mar 28, 2003, 4:40 am

Munich Park Comments..3/22 - 3/25

As a Diamond...

Upgraded Suite
Fruit Basket in Room on Arrival
Box of Chocolates in Room on Arrival
Bottled water in Room on Arrival/Replaced every day.
Lounge Access from 7a-11p(Includes Breakfast)
Newspaper every morning (weekdays)

Old Mar 28, 2003, 6:45 am
In Memoriam

Hilton Park, as said above, dittto and $60.00 per night cheaper, great room
Old Apr 6, 2003, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by essxjay:
I'm always amazed at what people consider "convenient."

The Hilton Park couldn't be easier to get to (tram #17, which runs late) and it's a waaaaay better property than the City. You can pick up Tram 17 at the Hauptbahnhof, which connects to the S1 train that goes into Franz Joseph, or catch the Lufthansa shuttle bus (very comfy and not expensive). Even with luggage I had no problem with the tram.

I've had terrific service there every time, the City was fine as well.

[This message has been edited by essxjay (edited 03-26-2003).]
</font>

What tram (17) stop do you get off? (Is it Tivolistrasse?)

How far a walk is it from the tram stop to the Hilton Park? (I've got a big, rolling bag.)

How early does the tram run? (I have an 08:30 flight from MUC.)
Old Apr 6, 2003, 5:44 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
It's an easy 5 min. walk from the XXX tram stop (send me a nag note and I'll check my map of Munchen later). I honestly don't know how early the tram runs, but it's early. A rolling bag is no problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.