Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

The Definitive “HELP! My Hilton Honors Points Have ALREADY Expired!” Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2003, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Has anyone experienced a loss of HiltonHonors points? Have you been successful at recapturing the points?
Old Jul 9, 2003, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Why not tell us what you did to deserve the forfeiture (or what HH claims you did) so we can render an opinion?
Old Jul 9, 2003, 1:07 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by xyzzy:
Why not tell us what you did to deserve the forfeiture (or what HH claims you did) so we can render an opinion?</font>
what I was thinking as well.

------------------
Visit FlyerTalk Dining http://flyertalk.com/diningfr.shtml
Old Jul 9, 2003, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

I lost my points (several hundred thousand) for lack of activity for over 12 months.
Old Jul 9, 2003, 2:54 pm
Suspended

Not sure I believe I heard or read somewhere that you could get your points back after making one HH stay.
mike
Old Jul 9, 2003, 3:06 pm

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
ouch...for skibuddy's sake, i hope you're right...

[This message has been edited by Grog (edited 07-09-2003).]
Old Jul 9, 2003, 3:10 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by MIKESILV:
Not sure I believe I heard or read somewhere that you could get your points back after making one HH stay.
mike
</font>
Here's from the horse's mouth:

"Members who do not earn points in any 12 month consecutive month period may be removed from the Program and, if so, are subject to forfeiture of all accumulated points. The account may be reactivated by the member taking one of the following actions:

1. stay at an HHonors hotel, thus reactivating membership; or
2. earn HHonors points through any third party source of HHonors point accumulation; or
3. request any Reward for which the Member is eligible; account will then be closed at end of the 90-day period.

Failure to take action (a), (b) or (c) described above within the prescribed 90-day period will result in the closure of the Member's account and the forfeiture of all accumulated points."

Old Jul 9, 2003, 3:32 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

skibuddy, how much business do you intend to do with Hilton in the future? How much time have you let lapse since the year of inactivity in your Hilton HHonors account ended?

Call Hilton HHonors and politely explain your situation to the customer service representative. They may grant you a one-time reinstatement of your HHonors points to your account. The worst that will happen is that they will simply say “no”, in which case you are no worse off than you are now.

If you do not get a satisfactory answer, try calling again at another time and speak to a different customer service representative.

If after several attempts you are still unsuccessful, ask to speak to a supervisor. Try writing a letter if necessary.

What do you have to lose at this point?
Old Jul 9, 2003, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
This happened to me at least twice. If you just call HHonors they will usually restore your account instantly. It might help if you actually stay at one of their properties before calling, but that it not necessary.
Old Jul 9, 2003, 4:36 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the input. I have contacted HiltonHonors. Their position is I can recapture up to 50% of my points after 5 stays (10% per stay). The first stay simply reactivates my membership but does not automatically reinstate lost points. They are unsympathetic regarding anything else. I thought someone might have known of any class actions which could have been helpful.
Old Jul 9, 2003, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

To Boraxo:

Can you share details of your experience?
Old Jul 9, 2003, 4:42 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by skibuddy:
Thanks for all the input. I have contacted HiltonHonors. Their position is I can recapture up to 50% of my points after 5 stays (10% per stay). The first stay simply reactivates my membership but does not automatically reinstate lost points. They are unsympathetic regarding anything else. I thought someone might have known of any class actions which could have been helpful.</font>
Have 90 days passed? And if yes, have you received any communication from HH regarding the upcoming forfeiture?
Old Jul 9, 2003, 4:56 pm
Original Poster

Over 90 days have passed and I never received any warning notice of expiration or forfeiture.
Old Jul 9, 2003, 5:01 pm

Ouch... Rather unpleasant experience, I'm sure. I sincerely wish you good luck in recovering your points.

But it also underscores the need to monitor your account and know the rules. Having an AmEx card from Hilton or a Visa Hilton (no annual charge on either) and using either one once a year would have prevented this whole mess.
Old Jul 9, 2003, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

Your quite correct. But how many affinity cards can one have? I'm overlaoded as it is.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Eugene:
Ouch... Rather unpleasant experience, I'm sure. I sincerely wish you good luck in recovering your points.

But it also underscores the need to monitor your account and know the rules. Having an AmEx card from Hilton or a Visa Hilton (no annual charge on either) and using either one once a year would have prevented this whole mess.
</font>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.