Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Basel {CHE} (no longer Honors)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Basel {CHE} (no longer Honors)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2005, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by MIKESILV

Surprised nobody has picked up on this yet. Very hard to get a room in Basel in early March because of Fasnacht (starts Ash Wednesday). Switzerland most popular carnival.
Give that man a ceegar!

There was a large FT Doo there last year, (sensational experience) and some of us are going back next year, as it is in the week of Rudi's Birthday.

How come you were not among us MIKESILV?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...=316124&page=2

Last year I used a GLON there for 6 nights, and that was redeemd with no issues.

I phoned Hilton SYD today to see if they could do it on phone, and they said no award inventory whatever is loaded for that property yet for March, on any dates?

Glen

Old Apr 27, 2005, 7:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ozstamps
Give that man a ceegar!

There was a large FT Doo there last year, (sensational experience) and some of us are going back next year, as it is in the week of Rudi's Birthday.

How come you were not among us MIKESILV?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...=316124&page=2

Last year I used a GLON there for 6 nights, and that was redeemd with no issues.

I phoned Hilton SYD today to see if they could do it on phone, and they said no award inventory whatever is loaded for that property yet for March, on any dates?

Glen

Didnt make it because my cousin ( who married a local guy) had insisted on us coming over and had planned a party for my wife's birthday.
Its often pretty difficult extracting ones-self from your relatives' plans
mike
Edited to add
I wouldnt despair regarding availiblity becuase I was able to make mine as late as January, failing that you could always get some Ftalk Daimond to book it for you.

Last edited by MIKESILV; Apr 27, 2005 at 7:54 am
Old Apr 28, 2005, 3:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by MIKESILV

I wouldnt despair regarding availiblity becuase I was able to make mine as late as January, failing that you could always get some Ftalk Daimond to book it for you.
Yes that's always an option but mutual gifting of 90,000 points gets a little tricky to arrange I'd guess.

Unless Diamond Desk will allow a booking using someone else's points - will they run to that? Maybe if booking is in "joint names"

Glen

Old Apr 28, 2005, 9:08 am

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
Originally Posted by ozstamps
Yes that's always an option but mutual gifting of 90,000 points gets a little tricky to arrange I'd guess.

Unless Diamond Desk will allow a booking using someone else's points - will they run to that? Maybe if booking is in "joint names"

Glen

When you use the diamond garantee to make a reservation the award points are deduction directly from your account. No certs are issued - you just get a letter. You can add someone elses name - but there would to be mutual gifting
Old Oct 9, 2006, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/2MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Does anyone know if the hotel's salsa club is still open?
Old Nov 26, 2006, 3:31 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Does anyone know if the hotel's salsa club is still open?
No, there's just the Wettstein restaurant (lots of little private spaces in it, and a fantastic breakfast buffet) and the City Bar in the basement (with live piano and dance floor).

Stayed here two weeks ago and got upgraded to a suite on the 5th floor - small-ish rooms, but two bathrooms and lots of freebies (I have a friend on the managerial staff). NB: no iron and ironing board in the rooms (this is a Swiss safety issue, apparently) but they'll give you them if you ask.

Excellent polyglot (German/French/English-speaking) staff.
Old Aug 16, 2007, 2:03 pm
Ambassador: Oneworld Alliance

Programs: BA Gold (GGL), Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Hilton Basel change in lounge policy

Basel Hilton is pretty good IMHO. Staff always pleasant, breakfast good, bit of a gym and a large paddling pool. In the past, Diamonds and even Golds have always been allowed to use the Exec lounge even if they were not upgraded to the Exec floor. But last week this changed as the 8th floor now needs key access in the lift. I was upgraded, but a colleague was not (also a Diamond). I asked the HHonours manager about this and he was totally unsympathetic. I explained that employees of my (Basel-based) company is offered lounge access in many other city hotels whatever the status e.g. Ramada, Radisson, but he was unmoved. It will be interesting to see what happens if/when I do not get an upgrade. I will ask for the lounge, but expect not to be allowed.
Old Aug 16, 2007, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by squeeler
Basel Hilton is pretty good IMHO. Staff always pleasant, breakfast good, bit of a gym and a large paddling pool. In the past, Diamonds and even Golds have always been allowed to use the Exec lounge even if they were not upgraded to the Exec floor. But last week this changed as the 8th floor now needs key access in the lift. I was upgraded, but a colleague was not (also a Diamond). I asked the HHonours manager about this and he was totally unsympathetic. I explained that employees of my (Basel-based) company is offered lounge access in many other city hotels whatever the status e.g. Ramada, Radisson, but he was unmoved. It will be interesting to see what happens if/when I do not get an upgrade. I will ask for the lounge, but expect not to be allowed.

This changed about 2 months ago. Now only the pilots seem to get in to lounge (anyone who frequents Hilton BSL will know what I mean...). Several times I have not been upgraded, and have not had lounge access. They gave me breakfast and drink coupons. One advantage is that there is wireless access inthe bar, not in the lounge.
Once they did give me access, when I was upgraded to a non-Executive suite - but I needed 2 keys, one for lounge and one for room.

Overall I think it is very overpriced - Les Trois Rois is often cheaper and MUCH nicer - and includes free minibar in room, negating need for lounge.
Old Aug 16, 2007, 2:54 pm

Thanks 2035.

Really a free minibar?

We do get a pretty good rate at the Hilton.

Is there a gym at Les Trois Rois?
Old Aug 16, 2007, 3:06 pm

Thanks 2035.

Really a free minibar?

We do get a pretty good rate at the Hilton.

Is there a gym at Les Trois Rois?
Yep, free minibar (coke, diet coke, juices, beer, snacks etc).
Free internet (Hilton charges 30-40 CHF)
Brand new gym.

Rooms are really luxurious - much nicer than Hilton IMO.

Thursday night is CHF 300 from www.lestroisrois.com. I'm sure you can get a special there too.
Hilton is rarely less than 370 for public rate.
Old Aug 16, 2007, 3:11 pm

Thanks for the info 2035. I have e-mailed them about a corporate rate.
Old Oct 18, 2008, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/2MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
When will they get rid of the awful 1980s decor at this hotel? It looks pretty bad!
Old Oct 21, 2008, 3:15 am

The Unbridled Pettiness of Hilton Basel

I have written before about how resistant Hilton Basel have been to providing any benefits for Diamond members. Since they put the key only access to the Executive Floor they have become voracious in their anti-elite member activities.

The recent dictat about Diamond privileges has put them in a difficult position. One reception dragon oozes bile when she exclaims Ve give you access to zee lounge but no upgrade for you, so that everyone in the hotel can hear.

In the past, the lounge was well stocked with a selection of drinks until it closed at 11pm. A last minute dash from the pub could secure a night cap. Well last night at 9.05pm I arrived, picked up a tonic, but noticed no gin, whisky, brandy etc. Also, the food had all gone. I asked the receptionist if I could have something to spice up my tonic and was told Ve have zee new policy; everything goes at 9pm. Even my best doey-eyed pleading look was not enough to melt her icy heart.

Luckily there was a full bottle of red they had not quite got round to re-corking it. So I grabbed it and a glass and placed them on a table, turned on Sky and dared them to remove it.

So they are adhering to the policy lounge access but denuding it of stocks. They are incredible.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 7:42 am

That is pretty outrageous...however, did you notice if the dragon had a ring on her finger? She sounds like just the kind of Hausfrau who could help me kick my expensive single malt habit!
Old Oct 21, 2008, 8:55 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Platinum
Luckily there was a full bottle of red they had not quite got round to re-corking it. So I grabbed it and a glass and placed them on a table, turned on Sky and dared them to remove it.

Good Lord. Now we have guests storming the lounges, grabbing bottles of wine and inviting a confrontation. Who is being "petty" here? I hope those swigs of the grape were worth it.

And who rushes from "the pub" just so they can get a freebie before closing? You just can't legislate class.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.