Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Brussels City {BEL}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2014, 9:14 am

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
Originally Posted by hugolover
Yes Antwerp has an OK lounge that used to be really good before the cuts kicked in. Eastern Europe are in a league of their own.
True, but compared to the US lounges, Antwerp was quite refreshing and never overcrowded. Nice selection of beers and wine IIRC. Also received a nice upgrade to a corner room Jr. Suite too. ^
Old Sep 12, 2014, 9:45 am

Programs: AF/KL Plat for Life, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Accor Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Speaking as a Belgian HHonors Diamond, who who has lived in Brussels for 7 years, I wouldn't want you to think I don't love Place Rogier and don't like its Hilton.. I do but I feel it is quite the acquired taste. i wouldnt put up my friends from abroad there above 70 Euros in the weekend...
There is carlsonF in the Radisson...the quaint - and very tired - wonderful Metropole with its terraces and its lobby (worth it anyways)... The Marriott in front of the stock exchange and on top of the oldest and biggest McDonalds in Belgium , two minutes away from le Pré Sale and its Moules Frites (fries and mayonnaise there are the real deal), sitting on Rue Dansaert 5 minutes away from the Grand Place....

A drunk Belgian in Shanghai

Originally Posted by whimsey21
Originally Posted by SteamyUncle
That IS true loyalty. If you happen to be a member of the public sector PR09PN applies for the week-ends. On the flexible side, D949900559 (gold Medal 15% discount open to everyone who likes karate) works there as well.
Lately I've been wondering if my points/status addiction has gone too far. It has definitely paid off well in the past, but more and more I find myself wishing I could just choose the best hotel for each trip, rather than trying to find the one in the right chain, with the right promo, etc.

Does anyone else with experience at both properties have any feedback? I see complaints on the Marriott thread about that property as well...
Old Nov 17, 2014, 11:23 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Previously top-tier everything, now a happy free agent
Stayed here on a corporate rate near the end of October. Booked two rooms--1 double twin, and 1 king.

Check-In
That weekend they were very full (big tourist group), so I guess my room types got messed up. I got 2 king rooms instead and went back down to the FD to sort it out. Miscommunication between housekeeping and front desk led to them sort of shouting at each other "Well 613 is supposed to be a double twin! He says it's a King!" Sort of comical.

Acknowledged as a Gold Member, though I actually don't prefer that being pointed out (contrary to many). Just like the benefits.

Woman working the front desk also asked the supervisor if it was okay to put me in the "suite," (which I started to get excited), though supervisor said they had blocked it off (probably for a Diamond or someone else). No problem.

The Rooms
Ended up getting 1 King Room, and then a 1 King Deluxe (much bigger room than the standard guest room). The standard rooms are tiny. The bed takes up about 80% of the room. Deluxe room is much bigger, though bathrooms in either are small. Not the worst I've done though. They also give you larger-than-normal Peter Thomas Roth amenities... Really appreciated that.

We got a room facing Place Rogier (still under construction... So really the view is just of the much larger Sheraton across Place Rogier).

We came in BRU airport and took the train to Gare du Nord..... Which is not the most savory of places, and I hadn't done my research--we walked right through the Red Light District.

Not where I would take my parents per se, but for a group of 25-30 year olds Americans, it was more funny to laugh/gawk at the store fronts that advertised ladies...

Maybe a 15-20 minute walk to Grand Place via Rue Nueve, though wasn't a bad walk. It was convenient that the Place Rogier metro stop is literally right outside the hotel. We used that to go to Mini Europe and Atomium our last day.

Breakfast
Not sure why this hotel gets a bad rap--no service issues other than initial room mixup, and breakfast in the restaurant was comped for both room as a Gold, even though T&Cs only say for 2 people. We got it for 6. ^ Thank you Hilton!

Standard Hilton breakfast offerings. No room for 6 but staff was nice enough to push tables together for us. Sort of made a ruckus and we felt bad but staff told us not to worry. The second morning they even already had the setup ready for us when we arrived.

Runny european eggs, waffle maker (Holiday Inn Express style, not Belgian waffles), fruit (no veggies), poach/boil your own eggs (more on this in a sec), hash browns, mushrooms, meat products, cold cuts, yogurt, pastries, cereal etc. Pretty run of the mill, though more than enough and very substantial.

About the poach your own eggs, they have a water bath with little wire egg holders where you can poach/boil your own eggs, and there are raw eggs next to it. I watched 2 guests (from my table far away...) take 2 of the raw eggs and didn't know what to do with them, though I think they thought they were hard-boiled. Took them back to their table and cracked them open... :P That was sort of funny to watch. Good thing there was nothing else on their place. :P

Also, they have a to-go coffee station by the elevators in the morning. ^ We took coffee in the restaurant, though nice to have it available to all guests.

No Lounge
I think perhaps the FD was more accommodating for me since there was a big headache trying to sort out our rooms, so drink tickets (in lieu of a lounge I'm guessing) were free-flowing (2 at a time when you ask). I think we ended up using something like 10-12 tickets during our 2 nights. If you see Isabelle at the FD, she is gem.

We actually didn't mind that there was no lounge, as the drink tickets allowed us to get drinks at our convenience, instead of trying to see if it was worth it to make it back to the hotel for drinks/snacks.

The last morning I used my last drink ticket and asked for a Pellegrino, and they actually gave me a full-sized liter bottle. Nice!

Facilities
Hotel has a Turkish bath and sauna, which I believe is uncommon. Workout room looks very new... Or no one ever uses it. All the exercise/spa facilities were modern, clean, very nice--no complaints here.

Also it should be noted that ground-floor restrooms are one floor down the stairs. You need a code from the FD, if you don't feel like running back up to your room.

They also seem to pump in some sort of scent in the lobby, though it's not as subtle as Westins.... We didn't mind, but it is the first thing you might notice when you walk in.

Conclusion
Overall, a nice stay. Our corporate rate got us a great deal here, so we were satisfied. 5 minute walk to Gare du Nord for the train to the airport (you can avoid the Red Light District if you use the right entrance), 5-10 minute walk to more exciting places, 10-15 minute walk to Grand Place and more central areas. Brussels really isn't that huge, so even though this location is not smack-dab central, it's central enough.

Looking forward to trying out the new Hilton Brussels Grand Place that was just converted from a Le Meridien in the future, though.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 1:34 pm

Programs: HHonor Diamond, SPG Plat100, HGP Plat, AF Plat, *A G (A3)
Lightbulb Great news

For those of you who know this property:

Just learned that the hotel restaurant has changed its chef - after having inquired with the staff because THE FOOD TASTES OBVIOUSLY DIFFERENT

Yes, try out the weekly recommendation from the chef. Nice and cheap, as the Americans call it...

Really glad that they fixed the weak link in this hotel...
Old Dec 2, 2014, 10:51 pm

Programs: Marriott and British Airways
Rates are very low this month a 69 euro. But be aware they are selling 1 person rooms aka hostel rooms!
Old Dec 3, 2014, 4:54 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Gold, whatever is saved on the Sky box
Stayed here 2 weekends ago. Arrived around 21:30 after taking the tram up from Bruxelles-Midi from a delayed Eurostar train. The hotel is easy to see after coming up the escalators, at least if you follow the 'H' (not a Hilton H, just H) sign logo from the station!

Check in was quick and efficient, with gold status acknowledged. They explained there was no executive lounge and we were given 1 drink voucher per person per night. This is something which seldom happens. Hilton Stockholm was 1 voucher for a 3 night stay, New Zealand and Australian properties without a lounge also offered only 1 voucher and as we know, the majority of US properties charge for alcohol, even when lounge access is granted. I have always thought that it should be a minimum of one voucher per night and not per stay, so it was refreshing that this was so willingly offered – and excellently redeemed for a large Leffe Brune! Although reading above, it looks like I should have rinsed them for more…

The room was large with a view towards the Sheraton, bath robes and slippers provided on each bed.

There was a good selection for breakfast, although the mini pancakes did run out on the Sunday morning and didn’t seem to be replaced but I was able to content myself with the obligatory waffle maker. And come on, I'm Belgium, and whilst not perfect, it has to be a waffle!

I can't comment on meals as I didn't dine in the hotel but what I saw being brought out looked well-presented and was reasonably priced too.

The hotel is located well enough to be within easy walking distance from the centre and if you need to use the tram/metro system, sufficiently close enough to those as well.

I must admit, after all the comments I had read on here, I was filled with some trepidation before arriving, regarding just how bad it was going to be but I really do not know what the issue is. OK, is it the greatest Hilton chain property I have ever stayed in? No. Is it the worst I have ever stayed in? Not by a very, very long way! I always judge a hotel by whether I would stay in it again. The answer, at least for me in this case, is yes.

Last edited by sjc2679; Dec 3, 2014 at 4:56 am Reason: Typo
Old Dec 3, 2014, 5:19 am

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Accor Gold, Flying Blue, Exec Club.
Sounds like you were given a deluxe room, standard room tends to be small, I have found these rooms quite nice tbh.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 5:47 am

Originally Posted by sjc2679
Stayed here 2 weekends ago. Arrived around 21:30 after taking the tram up from Bruxelles-Midi from a delayed Eurostar train. The hotel is easy to see after coming up the escalators, at least if you follow the 'H' (not a Hilton H, just H) sign logo from the station!

Check in was quick and efficient, with gold status acknowledged. They explained there was no executive lounge and we were given 1 drink voucher per person per night. This is something which seldom happens. Hilton Stockholm was 1 voucher for a 3 night stay, New Zealand and Australian properties without a lounge also offered only 1 voucher and as we know, the majority of US properties charge for alcohol, even when lounge access is granted. I have always thought that it should be a minimum of one voucher per night and not per stay, so it was refreshing that this was so willingly offered – and excellently redeemed for a large Leffe Brune! Although reading above, it looks like I should have rinsed them for more…

The room was large with a view towards the Sheraton, bath robes and slippers provided on each bed.

There was a good selection for breakfast, although the mini pancakes did run out on the Sunday morning and didn’t seem to be replaced but I was able to content myself with the obligatory waffle maker. And come on, I'm Belgium, and whilst not perfect, it has to be a waffle!

I can't comment on meals as I didn't dine in the hotel but what I saw being brought out looked well-presented and was reasonably priced too.

The hotel is located well enough to be within easy walking distance from the centre and if you need to use the tram/metro system, sufficiently close enough to those as well.

I must admit, after all the comments I had read on here, I was filled with some trepidation before arriving, regarding just how bad it was going to be but I really do not know what the issue is. OK, is it the greatest Hilton chain property I have ever stayed in? No. Is it the worst I have ever stayed in? Not by a very, very long way! I always judge a hotel by whether I would stay in it again. The answer, at least for me in this case, is yes.
Originally Posted by Skimanant
Sounds like you were given a deluxe room, standard room tends to be small, I have found these rooms quite nice tbh.
Sounds like you had a similar experience to me. Yes, the standard rooms (even the King rooms... can't speak to the single rooms) are small... But the deluxe ones are larger than average (even to American standards). At least in my deluxe room, there was enough room for 2 twin beds, a sofa, large wardrobe, desk that spanned the entire length of one wall, a suitcase holder (is there an official word for this?), and the standard two night standards on either sides of the beds.

The bathroom was still teeny, but sufficient. I would stay here again as well. Great value for the price.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 1:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH Gold, whatever is saved on the Sky box
Not too sure if it was a deluxe room or not - it was room 709 if that helps! For the price though, I think it's a really good value hotel. In fact my only issue was the large vertical light in the middle of the bathroom mirror by the sink, which was almost blinding when brushing your teeth!

I probably should have added the following in the original review but for completeness and for those interested, this was the room:

P1020556 by sjc2679, on Flickr

P1020557 by sjc2679, on Flickr

P1020558 by sjc2679, on Flickr

Breakfast selection:

DSC_1661[1] by sjc2679, on Flickr

DSC_1663[1] by sjc2679, on Flickr

The bar area in the main lobby:

DSC_1659[1] by sjc2679, on Flickr

DSC_1660[1] by sjc2679, on Flickr

Last edited by sjc2679; Dec 3, 2014 at 1:38 pm Reason: Tag formatting
Old Dec 3, 2014, 2:53 pm

Programs: BA KL LH Hilton Marriott
Hilton Stockholm was 1 voucher for a 3 night stay
But the Hilton in Stockholm has an excellent lounge, so not really a comparison IMO
Old Dec 3, 2014, 3:27 pm
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bj27
Overall, a nice stay.
I always judge a hotel by whether I would stay in it again. The answer, at least for me in this case, is yes.
Good to see some positive reports on this property. Thank you both for taking the time to review in some detail. We've given it a miss for the past couple of years, based on our own experiences and reviews by others, but it seems we should restore it to our list of hotels to price when we next visit Brussels.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by IMH
Good to see some positive reports on this property. Thank you both for taking the time to review in some detail. We've given it a miss for the past couple of years, based on our own experiences and reviews by others, but it seems we should restore it to our list of hotels to price when we next visit Brussels.
No problem. As with all properties, YMMV. I seem to have had opposite experiences with FT members with this property and Hilton Barcelona.

As a note, Isabelle at the FD remembered me and when I called down the 3rd night to request a pair of slippers, she left her post temporarily to bring them up herself, instead of sending housekeeping.

While the property isn't amazing by any means, it was certainly a more than comfortable stay, especially given the price we paid (let's just say it was under 70 euros/night). I've received much less personable and complacent service at Hilton properties that cost 2-3 times that price.

I think the only faults I can give are the ongoing construction (2 years now...?), and maybe the location is +5 minutes walking to and from places, and it's close to the red light district if you have distaste for that. It's the opposite direction of things you'd want to see, so you would never really happen upon that unless you intended to walk that direction.

FWIW, there's also a nice park behind the hotel (can't remember the name) that we strolled through and I ran through a few times one morning. It's not big, but it's a pleasant change of scenery.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 1:20 pm

Programs: HH D
I think the only faults I can give are the ongoing construction (2 years now).
Do you mean the works at Karel Rogierplein/Place Charles Rogier? They have been going on since 2009. Expected to be finished early 2015 give or take a few delays.

FWIW, there's also a nice park behind the hotel (can't remember the name) that we strolled through and I ran through a few times one morning. It's not big, but it's a pleasant change of scenery.
It's called the Herbal Garden / Kruidtuin / Jardin Botanique and one can book a room facing the park. (Never done so myself.)
Old Dec 4, 2014, 1:57 pm
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Sisosig
Do you mean the works at Karel Rogierplein/Place Charles Rogier? They have been going on since 2009.
I was going to guess five or six years, but figured I wouldn't have to wait long for something more educated than my guess.

The area works well for us, but -- as in any large-ish city -- it's helpful to know where one wants/needs to go, and have an idea about public transport routes, before deciding on the best area to stay.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by Sisosig
Do you mean the works at Karel Rogierplein/Place Charles Rogier? They have been going on since 2009. Expected to be finished early 2015 give or take a few delays.

It's called the Herbal Garden / Kruidtuin / Jardin Botanique and one can book a room facing the park. (Never done so myself.)
Yes! Sorry--front desk supervisor told me 2 years so that's what I was going off of and didn't bother with extra research. Apparently they can't wait for the construction to be done.

That's the park, too. My friends had one facing the park and it was nice, but their room was a shoebox. I preferred my deluxe room facing the Sheraton. No difference on noise.

I also thought it interesting that the entrance to the Crowne Plaza next door is on the side that faces the park.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.