Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Princess San Salvador {SLV} (no longer Honors)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2005, 7:50 pm
Community Director Emerita
Original Poster

Has anyone stayed at the Hotel Princess San Salvador? I think it is new to the Hilton chain and perhaps an altogether new property.

If you don't know the property, but do know San Salvador, how is the location for a tourist?
Old Apr 16, 2005, 3:07 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Air France F+Rouge, Marriott, Delta Skymiles Gold Med
Hilton Princess San Salvador Trip Reports and Reviews

Just back from San Salvador. I just wanted to share that new Hilton is really great and the lounge too. Good food, service ******.

DM
Old Oct 23, 2006, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Hilton Princess substandard for HH Diamond

When I got to a city with an "affordable" Hilton, I always try to stay at least one night to see how it is.

I'm in SAL on the Taca $219 RT fare, and decided to stay the first night there. The prices were a little expensive, either $140 or so all in, or about $12 less if you prepaid. For awhile Expedia was showing a $10 cheaper prepaid rate, but it disappeared about the time I was going to book it.

However, when I check my credit card statement, they haven't charged $128 but $187! Nothing is mentioned about this on the confirmation email, or anything.

I've always gotten good service, upgrades and Exec floor access as a HH Diamond. Upon registering, I got a basic letter, that just said I was a HH member. I was assigned to a low floor. As I was leaving, I asked what hours the lounge was open. The desk clerk, looked at my record, and said, "Oh, I guess I should have put you on the Exec floor, even though you paid a prepaid rate". Uh, yeah, that's the whole idea of being a Diamond!

So he scribbles out the old 4th floor room, and writes a new 10th floor one. I ask him the hours of the exec lounge tonight, and he says 10pm. I ask about the extra charge on my credit card, and he says that's a deposit. I've prepaid Hilton stays before, and never had this type of charge. He says they'll refund in cash if I don't spend it on checkout.

I head up to the room, and of course no Diamond amenity. One free bottle of water, and that's it. I'm supposed to be assigned a non-smoking room, but of course there is an ashtray and matches there. At least the room doesn't reek.

At 8:40pm, I go to the lounge, and the attendant is pulling the last two hot dishes as I walk in. I ask her what time they close, and she says 9:00 pm. I manage to get a plate before she pulls them off. Plaque outside says they are open to 9pm on Sat and Sun, 11pm during the week. No night has a 10pm closing.

They do give free laundering for 3 items, so I give them a few things to clean.

In the morning, I go to breakfast, and it's a pretty decent spread. Some of the hot items are room temperature though, such as hash browns, bacon, sausages. I order an omelette, and 20 minutes later it still hasn't come. I mention it to the waiter, and finally get one 5 minutes later. I was at my table for 20 minutes before a waiter came around and asked if I wanted any coffee.

I check out later, and I have to sign a cash receipt to get the money back that they had charged me for a deposit. I know in the US, that it's illegal to do this via credit card, as it's always supposed to be credited back to the card.

Overall, I just felt let down, since there was no Diamond recognition. I was given wrong info on the closing time of the exec lounge, and of course no Diamond amenity.

Perhaps I'm just used to European, South American and Asian Hiltons that treat you much better.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 9:59 pm

Programs: Lots
Anyone have any more recent reports from this property? Headed to San Salvador for Labor Day and wondering if this is a good place to stay or not.

Thanks!
Old Sep 19, 2012, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, United Gold, IHG Amb Plat, HHonors Diamond(Aspire), Bonvoy LT Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Stayed at the San Salvador Princess 2 weeks ago. Besides a bit of a steep price tag for the room, if you decide to stay here, be forewarned that they have an EXTREMELY loud night club. I don't know if it's a weekend only event, but the night I was there, a live band was playing and it lasted well past midnight (when I went for the earplugs). The check in agent must not have liked me as he gave me a room on the 4th floor right over the club (and the hotel didn't appear very busy either), but I can't imagine that any of the rooms on that side of the hotel wouldn't have been impacted by the noise.

Also, room service food wasn't too hot and I still haven't gotten my HH points yet either.

Bottom line, for me, I won't stay there again.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 8:23 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Any stays there in the last year & a half?

Any comments on the location for a tourist?
Old Apr 4, 2015, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
SAN SALVADOR, EL SALVADOR HILTON PRINCESS HOTEL March 2015

Even with its somewhat dated dcor, the rooms are comfortable and the bathrooms clean and well maintained. The bed is impeccably made each day and the towels are clean and fresh each day. The views are exquisite day or night. The surroundings are safe and there is a supermarket and a few restaurants within walking distance. And yes, you can actually walk in San Salvador at least around the hotel area.
The staff is amazing. The service is pleasant and prompt. The smiles are quick and I never heard a no during my entire 5 night stay. I must confess that I am picky and usually have my fair share of requests.
As a gold HHonors I was upgraded to el piso ejecutivo which includes access to the lounge. It is on the 10th floor. Breakfast is very nice with eggs, plantains, meats and cheeses and lots of fresh fruit. Make sure you ask for an espresso or cappuccino for breakfast. The same lounge becomes an evening hang out place with drinks and lots of food served between 5-9 pm. The staff at the lounge is great. Attentive and welcoming. Willing and able to accommodate any request.
The pool looked very nice (did not have time) and the 11th floor is a gym with sauna and massage that you must try out.
The hotel will arrange for inexpensive car service or get a yellow taxi. The doormen are welcoming and quick to respond when needed. I would recommend you let them negotiate the car rate for you. They are trustworthy and experts.
There is a restaurant and a bar on the first floor that I was not able to try out. I am told the restaurant has some of the best pupusas around. They also have a lunch menu that seems reasonably priced.
Summary: If you are in San Salvador, the Hilton Princess is by far the best choice. Reasonable prices, excellent service, splurge on the executive room/floor if you do not have HHonors elite level and enjoy the excellent breakfast, great coffee and nice evening spread and drinks. Will definitely come back during my next visit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.