Community
Wiki Posts
Search

15 yr old HH Gold card holder?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2004, 4:52 am
Moderator, Virgin Atlantic
Original Poster

Programs: VS Red, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium - earned out of our own pocket!.
Question 15 yr old HH Gold card holder?

Please accept my apologies if this is a question that has been asked before but I can't find the answer by searching.

My 15 year old son - who is Virgin Flying Club Silver - has just been sent a HH Gold card as part of a 'targetted promotion'. We normally stay at Marriotts, but would be interested in changing to Hilton, as the 'double dip' offered seems very generous.

My question is this - obviously my son does not have a credit card - so is it okay, on our next trip together, to reserve the room in my son's name with his HH account number but to guarantee the room and pay for it with my credit card?

We would both be staying in the room, but I don't want to fall foul of any rules that may prevent this.

Many thanks for any advice.

Nick
Old Nov 12, 2004, 5:08 am

Programs: Amex Centurion - BA Silver - IHG Diamond Elite - HHonors Diamond - M&M
According to HHonors T&C's you have to be at least 18

Would check this out with HHonors or perhaps someone here knows but when you join HHonors you have to confirm that you are at least 18.

pmcg
Old Nov 13, 2004, 3:43 am

If you can get the reservations agent to accept your credit card at the time you're half way there, and there shouldn't be any reason they won't. At the time of payment, they'll accept anyone's credit card.
Old Nov 13, 2004, 4:54 am

Originally Posted by Nottingham Nick
- obviously my son does not have a credit card -
If you think your son is responsible enough you should be able to get an extra card on one of your accounts with your son's name on it. If he travels that much it might end up being a real convenience. Each of my son's has a copy of one of our cards. It has come in very handy.
Old Nov 13, 2004, 6:16 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Delta Platinum
Or....if you don't want the financial risk, get one issued in your son's name, and don't tell him.
Old Nov 14, 2004, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses and suggestions. I will ring HH and then Virgin credit cards and take it from there.

thanks again

Nick
Old Nov 14, 2004, 9:37 am

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Accor Gold
One question is what would a 15 year old do withn the points anyway. To keep them for future use? Since points do not collect interest and actually loose value over time (increase award cost) it is a bad investment. I would suggest not trying to collect miles for him just for the fun of it. If you want a credit card for him, get him one that gets you cash or FF miles since he is more likely going to fly than book a room.
Old Nov 14, 2004, 10:13 am

Programs: HHonors Silver
I think the OP saw the son's new Gold status as a conveneint way of getting Gold level perks for family stays (assuming that the OP doesn't have Gold status).

It's not the points, it's the bennies.
Old Nov 14, 2004, 10:37 am
Original Poster

To answer the above two posters, can I add the following:

The attraction of the unsolicited Gold card for my son is twofold, the main reason by far is to boost his Virgin Flying Club account - firstly by 'double dipping' and secondly by converting points (however poor the exchange rate may be). He has just 'spent' 40K Virgin points on a 50/50 Upper class reward seat for next summer, so his balance needs some 'first aid'.

I am also looking at the possibility of switching the family allegiance from Marriott to Hilton. I am currently Marriott silver and we have had a few 'only average' stays with Marriott recently. Christopher's gold card would be a good way to test the water. I used to be HH Gold through Amex Plat, but have let both lapse.

BTW. Unfortunately, supp card holders for Virgin credit cards have to be 18, so that is a none starter.

Thanks again for all the help / advice offered by posters.

Nick

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.