Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bed Bugs: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2006, 7:20 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
Does anyone use one of those "executive sleeping bags"?
Old Jul 6, 2006, 9:36 am

How about posting on Tripadvisor?

Originally Posted by PersonalCareChemist
My bites are pretty much healed. However the wife's bites are really nasty looking.
Sorry about what you are going through. If one looks up this hotel on tripadvisor, they will find only three good reviews. Perhaps you and anyone else on this board who has had a bad experience with this hotel can take some time to post on tripadvisor (see http://tinyurl.com/khqhp).

I got the following message from the Diamond Desk -- pretty much what I suspected:

Thank you for your feedback on the Homewood Atlanta Galleria. Your comments and concerns have been forwarded to our Guest Assistance team who will contact the hotel to see how these issues can be resolved and avoided in the future. We appreciate you taking the time to share this information with us and have our assurance we take this type of feedback seriously.
Wow, pretty lame. Hopefully they will follow up with a better response.
Old Jul 6, 2006, 10:29 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by MarkMColo
Sorry about what you are going through. If one looks up this hotel on tripadvisor, they will find only three good reviews. Perhaps you and anyone else on this board who has had a bad experience with this hotel can take some time to post on tripadvisor (see http://tinyurl.com/khqhp).

Wow, pretty lame. Hopefully they will follow up with a better response.
Lame?? Thats is their standard acknowledgement. You have to give them (the diamond desk/FT at Hilton) an opportunity to validate the respondents claim(s). Let's not be so critical.
Old Jul 6, 2006, 10:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
You'll want to be careful with your luggage and clothing from that trip. They might be stowaways in your belongings, so be careful.
Old Jul 6, 2006, 4:45 pm

wow...good to know for future reference not to stay here....
Old Jul 7, 2006, 4:07 pm

Location: Greensboro, NC (US Air CP = Compassionate Proctology, Hilton Diamond)
Hotel Response

I received a call from the manager today asking for specifics. He will be taking the room out of service.
Old Jul 17, 2006, 9:43 am

Location: Greensboro, NC (US Air CP = Compassionate Proctology, Hilton Diamond)
Reimbursement

Do you think it would be appropriate for me to request that the hotel reimburse me for the doctor visit and for having my luggage professionally treated? Or, do I chalk this up to the price you pay for being a road warrior?
Old Jul 17, 2006, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by PersonalCareChemist
Do you think it would be appropriate for me to request that the hotel reimburse me for the doctor visit and for having my luggage professionally treated? Or, do I chalk this up to the price you pay for being a road warrior?
Definitely discuss this with the hotel GM. Ask that the hotel cover your medical expenses (including what your insurance would pay), and for new luggage or professional cleaning. Providing a clean hotel room is something that is expected when booking a room. Obviously, having bedbugs does not qualify. Likewise, ask for an inspection of your house to make sure you did not bring home guests.

ETA: The hotel probably has insurance of some sort that will cover their expenses for this, including your doctor's visits, etc. Your insurance company, when made aware of the reason for your doctor's visit, may opt to pursue payment from the hotel or the hotel's insurance.
Old Jan 4, 2007, 8:58 pm

Programs: United 0, HH Gold
Sorry to rehash this old thread, but I felt it was appropriate:

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20070104/D8ME732O0.html

Soprano Sues Arizona Hotel Over Bedbugs

NEW YORK (AP) - An opera singer has sued the Hilton Hotels Corp. (HLN) for $6 million, complaining she suffered 150 bites from bedbugs on her arms, chest, neck and face when she stayed in one of its hotels in Arizona.

Soprano Alison Trainer claimed she was bitten at Phoenix's Hilton Suites between Nov. 20 and Nov. 26, and said the bites were a "horrific" experience that left her afraid to sleep in a bed, caused her to lose weight and made her uncomfortable about her physical appearance.
Old Feb 11, 2007, 5:33 pm

Another review regarding bed bugs. This one is at Washington Hilton.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR..._Columbia.html
Old Oct 13, 2007, 10:12 pm

Programs: UA 2P
bed bugs

I strongly suggest EVERYONE on this board start getting more knowledgeable about bed bugs and how to avoid them. Everyone here travels, that means everyone here is at risk for not only getting bitten but for bringing them home and infesting their own homes.

Do searches online for bed bugs.

I just read an article written by a professor in NYC. NYC, for those of you who don't know, is essentially at the center of the bed bug epidemic in the U.S. This professor had bed bugs in her home, perhaps, she guessed, due to her husband's business travel.

She told her pest control guy that she didn't think people like them (in nice neighorhoods) were the ones to get bed bugs. His reply? "It's the people with money to travel who get them".
Old Oct 14, 2007, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by FinallyFlying
I strongly suggest EVERYONE on this board start getting more knowledgeable about bed bugs and how to avoid them. Everyone here travels, that means everyone here is at risk for not only getting bitten but for bringing them home and infesting their own homes.

Do searches online for bed bugs.

I just read an article written by a professor in NYC. NYC, for those of you who don't know, is essentially at the center of the bed bug epidemic in the U.S. This professor had bed bugs in her home, perhaps, she guessed, due to her husband's business travel.

She told her pest control guy that she didn't think people like them (in nice neighorhoods) were the ones to get bed bugs. His reply? "It's the people with money to travel who get them".
Isn't one of the important things to keep from doing is putting your suitcase/bags on the bed?
Old Oct 14, 2007, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by kipper
Isn't one of the important things to keep from doing is putting your suitcase/bags on the bed?
Yep.

Bedbugs are becoming a major problem.

http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&ne...ls&btnG=Search
Old Oct 15, 2007, 10:14 am

ew ew ew ew ew. Hotels really need to do something about this!!

Regular fumigations or something.
Old Oct 15, 2007, 10:24 am

Programs: AS
Definitely not the souvenir you want to bring back to the family. If you've never seen the effects of bed bugs (and the difficulty of getting rid of them) consider yourself lucky. Back in college one of the sorority girls got them (how no one knows) and in a few days the entire house was infested. Getting rid of them took weeks.

Avoiding them is probably beyond your control, but with some simple diligence you can spot them and stop the problem before they end up in your luggage and back in your home. One habit I've picked up lately is taking all my clothing directly from my suit case to the washing machine (and all the dry cleaning in a sealed bag) just in case.

http://hotels.about.com/od/hotelsecrets/a/bed_bugs.htm

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11877871/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.