Wiki Posts
Search

Bed Bugs: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2004, 7:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA1P, HH Gold
Bed Bugs: The Definitive Thread

Earlier today I stumbled across an interesting message on another travel board (Fodor's). The poster claimed to have developed bedbug bites after a stay at the St. Louis Airport Hilton. This individual specifically noted that he hadn't been diagnosed by a physician, so it's impossible to say for certain if it was *really* bedbugs. Nonetheless, the post concerned me a little, since I thought this problem was generally confined to lower tier properties--more along the lines of Motel 6 or Big Al's Roadside Inn than a Hilton. From what I understand, you can easily take these little suckers home in your suitcase if the problem is severe enough, so it's potentially much more than a matter of just a few bites.

It's important to mention that this person was ultimately pleased with the compensation offered by the hotel. I debated about posting this because I don't like to malign a property based on secondhand information, but I finally decided to put it forward because I know this is info I'd want if I had an upcoming stay in St. Louis. Obviously, you can decide for yourself how much weight, if any, to give this kind of report.

I'm curious--has anyone here ever experienced this problem at a Hilton property? A non-Hilton property? Is anyone familiar with the signs to look for(other than bites)?
Old Aug 16, 2004, 7:59 pm

First of all, according to the National Pest Management Association,

"An infestation of bed bugs is NOT evidence of unclean or unsanitary living areas. World class hotels have reported bed bug infestation in recent years perhaps due to the increased domestic and international mobility of society in the past few decades."

That said, the old part of the St. Louis Airport Hilton is in a poor shape, bugs or no bugs. I believe that you were talking about this thread on the Fodor's site. According to the poster, he/she was staying in room 310, which is indeed in the old part, on a low floor. No self-respecting FlyerTalker should stay there!

Just in case you are interested in additional info on bed bugs, here's a good site: http://www.uky.edu/Agriculture/Entom...ruct/ef636.htm
Old Aug 16, 2004, 8:05 pm

One more thing: I'm curious whether the poster that reported itching ventured into any grassy areas, even just around the hotel. The description of his/her bites sounds awfully like chiggers.

The worst thing about the Missouri summer isn't sunburn, heat or humidity - it's chiggers
Old Aug 16, 2004, 8:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA1P, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Eugene
I believe that you were talking about this thread on the Fodor's site.
Yep--that's the one. I figured someone would come across it but wasn't sure if I should post a direct link.

Maybe it was really chiggers--I don't know why, but somehow that doesn't seem as bad. Just thinking about bedbugs gives me the willies!
Old Aug 16, 2004, 9:43 pm
Suspended

I hate chiggers!!

Originally Posted by Lpas
Yep--that's the one. I figured someone would come across it but wasn't sure if I should post a direct link.

Maybe it was really chiggers--I don't know why, but somehow that doesn't seem as bad. Just thinking about bedbugs gives me the willies!
I stayed at the embassy suites in Hot springs ar in march. When I got home my legs were itchin BIG TIME and I thought it was bed bugs but I realized when we weny hiking in Hot springs national park the locals were wearing long pants with duct tape. NOw I know why!
Old Aug 16, 2004, 10:47 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Preventing chiggers: buy some "flower of sulphur" at your local druggist, put it in an old sock, and whack your socks, shoe tops and trouser cuffs with it, giving all a light dusting. Ta DAH! no chiggers.

Preventing bedbugs - you can get them in unexpected places, unfortunately!

Once I got scabies in a hotel (Aha Una Ula in Santa Elena, El Petén, Guatemala,) and once from a flight in a Mexicana 727 that had apparently been used to fly repatriated illegal imigrants to Mexico. Now, these guys, you do not want to get (and the Doubletree Club MIA has been demolished, as it should have been long ago... I didn't get anything there, but I beleive it was either incredible luck or the invisible shield.)
Old Jun 30, 2006, 7:26 pm

Location: Greensboro, NC (US Air CP = Compassionate Proctology, Hilton Diamond)
Bedbugs at Homewood Suites Gallaria

Wife and I stayed at the Homewood Suites in Atlanta off of Cobb this week. Both of us got bit up bad (as we say in the south) with bed bugs.

Anyone have a remedy for bed bug bites?
Old Jul 1, 2006, 12:46 am

Programs: Starwood Gold, HH Diamond,Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by PersonalCareChemist
Wife and I stayed at the Homewood Suites in Atlanta off of Cobb this week. Both of us got bit up bad (as we say in the south) with bed bugs.

Best remedy I know is to call CS and complain ,ask for full refund and a few thousand Points for the inconvienance
Old Jul 1, 2006, 7:14 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Bonvoy LT Ti; National EE; WDW Passholder

No help on the bed bugs, but I'm not surprised. This hotel is in my opinion the worst hotel in the HHonors system. I don't write many letters to complain, but I did about an experience in 2004 there. I started by trying to complain to the hotel manager, but received no response. I ended up contacting HHonors directly. They tried contacting the hotel, but received no response. HHonors ended up cutting me a check to refund my stay.

Cheers,
LBBZman
Old Jul 1, 2006, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold

Bed bugs are increasing at an alarming rate

Vie da vantzen tantzen
Old Jul 1, 2006, 12:49 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
According to this article on eMedicine, by Robert A Schwartz, MD, MPH, Professor and Head of Dermatology, Professor of Medicine, Professor of Pediatrics, Professor of Pathology, Professor of Preventive Medicine and Community Health, UMDNJ-New Jersey Medical School:

"Bedbug bites do not usually require any treatment. Apply local antiseptic lotion or antibiotic cream or ointment if secondary infection occurs. Creams with corticosteroids and oral antihistamines may be advised in the presence of allergic reaction."

He also states "Anaphylactoid reactions are well described." If you have difficulty breathing, etc. (it's likely this would have happened some time soon after being bitten,) you should seek medical help, as you should if you become infected at the bite sites.

I would accompany this with a request for a full refund on the room in question, from the hotel, or from HHonors if they fail to respond. I am not a compo freak, but this is a bad scene, particularly in light of other FTers' posts about this hotel.

Old Jul 1, 2006, 7:03 pm

Programs: AA-exp, 4MM, MR-plat, Hertz-PC, WN-CP
Have you checked over your bags, clothing? You may have brought them home with you to boot. Happened to a relative at a Sheraton in NYC. He was comped 25000 points (I believe worth 75,000ish in most other programs). The room was to be fumigated and closed for two weeks to remedy the problem.
Old Jul 1, 2006, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by Sprite
Have you checked over your bags, clothing? You may have brought them home with you to boot. Happened to a relative at a Sheraton in NYC. He was comped 25000 points (I believe worth 75,000ish in most other programs). The room was to be fumigated and closed for two weeks to remedy the problem.
Good point: you don't want to import those things home with you.

You definitely have to let Hilton know. If this hotel is a problem, they need to do something.

Is there a website that grades hotels? I know that the information is buried in here, but is there a site that gives the information in a more direct way.
Old Jul 5, 2006, 8:17 pm

Location: Greensboro, NC (US Air CP = Compassionate Proctology, Hilton Diamond)
My Interaction with the Hotel

As soon as I realized from my physician that I had bed bug bites, I contacted the Diamond Desk with my stay dates, hotel name, and room number to let them know to take care of the room so others would not have the same fate. Not sure that anything will happen so future hotel stayer beware.

My bites are pretty much healed. However the wife's bites are really nasty looking. Too bad we cannot post photos here!!!

I got the following message from the Diamond Desk -- pretty much what I suspected:

Thank you for your feedback on the Homewood Atlanta Galleria. Your comments and concerns have been forwarded to our Guest Assistance team who will contact the hotel to see how these issues can be resolved and avoided in the future. We appreciate you taking the time to share this information with us and have our assurance we take this type of feedback seriously.
Old Jul 6, 2006, 7:13 am

Programs: US Dividend Miles, Hilton Honors Gold VIP
Well, I had a reservation at this hotel in August and I cancelled now because of all the info here in this thread...Thanks to all those who posted info on this hotel!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.