Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Changes to online reservations? Credit card approval sought.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2024, 5:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: AADVANTAGE, Iberia Plus, BA Exec Blue, Hertz #1Gold, HHonors Gold, AS, Paradores Amigos

I have just tried to make a booking online - I have made a number of these over the past month or so. This time, things have changed. Firstly the system asked for first and last name on the credit card, then it went to my bank which sought approval to pay the full amount, even though this was not a pre-paid rate. Anyone else experience this, please? I have not made the booking as I most certainly don't want to be charged for this now.
UPDATE: I went ahead and booked and discovered the procedure was for pre-approval. My card shows a 'charge' but for zero pounds. Just being overcautious and untrusting, as usual!

Last edited by johnash; Feb 23, 2024 at 5:50 am Reason: Update
Old Feb 23, 2024, 6:50 am

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
Lots of people are using virtual credit cards now with no funds on them to make reservations. Hotels need to be careful.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 11:46 am

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
There’s also this pilot project (Hilton isn’t saying which locations) where Hilton is charging a fee for cancelling a refundable rate.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by johnash
Firstly the system asked for first and last name on the credit card, then it went to my bank which sought approval to pay the full amount, even though this was not a pre-paid rate.
The first part - asking for names - is quite normal, some algorithms also ask for country of issuance and/or post code, all of which - together with number, CVC and expiry - are used to verify the authenticity of the card (not all jurisdictions are obliged to offer 3DS).

The rest is fine as well, I have been experiencing this for over a year now (I guess from the beginning of 2023), though as you say it is confusing - while the full amount of the stay is mentioned, in reality it only looks to provide a preauthorisation in case they need to charge you at a later stage in case of e.g. no-show, etc. The first time it happened to me I also cancelled the process and contacted HH, they explained the whole thing and since then I have never had any issues. That being said, I made a few reservations earlier this month for stays later in the year (2x London, 1x Berlin) and the preauthorisation process correctly displayed a zero amount. (For reference, IHG follows the same process, and provided that one is booking a flexible rate the preauthorisation amount is displayed as zero as well).
SPN Lifer and bse118 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.