Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Rollover Nights

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2024, 5:01 pm
Original Poster

Hilton Rollover Nights

Hello first post looking for some advice. Currently in a debate with Hilton.

I am curently a diamond member and have been for almost 10 years.

I only stayed 20 nights in 2023 so been advised by status will drop to silver in April.

As silver only requires 10 nights and I stayed 20 nights in 2023, I was expecting to have 10 rollover nights carried forward from 2023 to 2024.

Hilton are saying I shouldn't have any rollover nights.

Can anyone please advise their thoughts on this. Am I right? Is hilton right?

Thank you
Old Jan 11, 2024, 6:55 pm

Hello, I came on here to ask a similar question. I am wondering if Hilton has changed the way Elite Rollover nights work. All I can find on the Hilton website is this:

"Rollover nights are a way for our elite Members (Silver, Gold, and Diamond) to earn elite status faster.At the end of the year, starting at Silver tier or above, any qualifying nights in excess of those required to qualify for elite status level are counted toward a Member’s elite status qualification for the following calendar year (January 1 - December 31)"

I am a long term Diamond member for several years now (assisted by the covid concessions in the last few years). Last year I stayed 37 nights, but I had 2 rollover nights at the start of the year so I ended on 39 nights. I was Diamond going into 2023 (earned on nights, but assisted by it being reduced nights to qualify for Diamond due to covid in 2022). But due to only staying 39 nights in 2023, I will drop to Silver at the end of March 2024 (I've already received a fleeting notification from the Hilton app that this will happen, as expected).

So it's 10 nights to earn silver, and in my case I expect to receive 27 rollover nights in 2024 - the 39 nights I ended the year on, less the 2 rollover nights that came into the year taking me to 37, less the 10 to get Silver leaving 27 to roll over.

I have just had an incredibly frustrating chat with 'Richard' in the Hilton app who is adamant that because I am Diamond status, and I earned 39 nights last year, there are no rollover nights. But this makes no sense whatsoever and I'm sure isn't how it has worked in the past (for a long time I have flitted between Gold and Diamond level of stays so I've been assisted by rollover nights previously).

So to the OP - I am wondering if the reality is that rollover nights haven't been added yet - I'm certainly hoping so anyway - either that or Hilton have changed their policy in some way I can't work out.

Grateful if anyone else can shed any light!
Old Jan 11, 2024, 8:16 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
I just made LTD so I don’t know how that affects the rolllover calculations.

With that said, I should have had 39 rollover nights for this year and they are not showing on my counter.
Glencky likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2024, 9:18 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
The whole issue with rollover nights very confusing, and I don’t understand why Hilton doesn’t make this clearer.

You only get to roll-over nights above and beyond qualifying for your given tier, not including the rollover nights you had from the previous year. For example, in 2023 I had 73 qualifying nights…but 10 of those were rolled over from 2022. So only three rolled over into 2024, not 13. Another way to think about it is how many nights did you actually stay in a calendar year above and beyond what you needed to qualify forgetting about the rollover nights? Last year, I had 63 paid nights; that’s three more than I needed to qualify for diamond, so three nights rolled over to 2024. This year, if I only stay 57 paid nights, I will qualify for diamond again, taking into account the three rollover nights. If want to roll-over nights into 2025, I will need to have more than 60 paid nights.

Does this make sense?

The other thing to keep in mind, is that we don’t get rollover nights when dropping down a tier. If I’m diamond, and I fail to qualify for diamond by one night, i.e., I only have 59 nights, it’s not like all of the nights above Gold get rolled over. You only roll over nights above and beyond what is required to requalify for the tier you already have.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by as219; Jan 17, 2024 at 3:56 pm Reason: Fixed grammar
Old Jan 11, 2024, 9:22 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by aww3583
I just made LTD so I don’t know how that affects the rolllover calculations.

With that said, I should have had 39 rollover nights for this year and they are not showing on my counter.
You don’t roll over any nights as an LTD because you don’t need them to qualify for anything. Why would you? The only reason that nights matter for you is if you hit the milestones for bonus points, which I believe you will get even though you are LTD.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 12:42 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
The problem seems to be that Hilton is looking at the "current" status which is actually last year's status, not the status that will apply from April (unless one does enough to "move [back] up" before then)
Old Jan 12, 2024, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: IB+ Gold, TK E+, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by BrianN
Hello first post looking for some advice. Currently in a debate with Hilton.

I am curently a diamond member and have been for almost 10 years.

I only stayed 20 nights in 2023 so been advised by status will drop to silver in April.

As silver only requires 10 nights and I stayed 20 nights in 2023, I was expecting to have 10 rollover nights carried forward from 2023 to 2024.

Hilton are saying I shouldn't have any rollover nights.

Can anyone please advise their thoughts on this. Am I right? Is hilton right?

Thank you
Slightly OT, but don't forget that you might be eligible for a one-year Diamond extension.

3 years of Diamond status and 250 lifetime nights needed... It should become possible to apply for in March.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 3:50 am

I had 66 rollover nights from 2023 carry over to 2024! So I already made Diamond for 2025... But status only says Diamond for 2024. I am only 7 nights away from LTD, when all this qualification nonsense will become history....
Old Jan 12, 2024, 4:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by as219
The whole issue with rollover nights very confusing, and I don’t understand why Hilton doesn’t make this clearer.

You only get to roll overnights above and beyond qualifying for your given tier, not including the rollover nights you had from the previous year. For example, in 2023 I had 73 qualifying nights…but 10 of those were rolled over from 2022. So only three rolled over into 2024, not 13. Another way to think about it is how many nights did you actually stay in a calendar year above and beyond what you needed to qualify for getting about the rollover nights? Last year, I had 63 paid nights; that’s three more than I needed to qualify for diamond, so three nights rolled over to 2024. This year, if I only stay 57 paid nights, I will qualify for diamond again, taking into account the three rollover nights. I want to roll overnight into 2025, I will need to have more than 60 paid nights.

Does this make sense?

The other thing to keep in mind, is that we don’t get rollover nights when dropping down a tier. If I’m diamond, and I fail to qualify for diamond by one night, i.e., I only have 59 nights, it’s not like all of the nights above Gold get rolled over. You only roll over nights above and beyond what is required to requalify for the tier you already have.

Okay thanks for that explanation at the bottom of your reply, I didn't realise that was how it worked.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 5:50 am

Programs: Jetblue, Turkish, Hilton Gold, Spirit Gold
Rollover nights are only awarded when you requalify for your existing status.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 5:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ovacikar
Rollover nights are only awarded when you requalify for your existing status.
Okay no problem i didnt realise that. Thanks
Old Jan 12, 2024, 6:33 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond KLM Gold
Thanks for the information contained in this thread. Last year had 84 stays which included 24 from the previous year. Wondered why now shows nil. No problem good excuse to stay this year and if running short by November December will have stays in my local Hilton in Cardiff where my only expense is the night cost. No travel costs thanks to my Welsh bus pass
Old Jan 12, 2024, 10:52 am

Programs: BAEC and Hilton mostly
Interesting side effect of this decision by Hilton. If you're below the threshold for retaining your current tier:

1. The (well-known route) - mattress runs to make the number
2. The (now we know from this thread) - forget about any more bookings after the number needed for the LOWER tier

I'm not sure if that (no. 2) is the perverse incentive that Hilton intend!
ffgap likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2024, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by as219

Thank you for this - which confirms what I had (very belatedly) worked out for myself before coming back to this thread. I was aware that rollover nights expire and hence in my case (where I had 2 rollover nights go into 2023) my total of 39 nights in 2023 was actually only 37 because 2 of them were rollover. With 39 nights, I only qualified for silver and where I went wrong is I misunderstood that the nights I earned in excess of silver would roll over to this year - 39 nights minus 2 rollover = 37; minus 10 for Silver equals 27 to roll over to this year. However no, not so - since my status at the end of 2023 was Diamond, and I hadn't reached the 60 nights required to reach Diamond again, there were of course no nights to roll over. Further, if I had reached 61 nights (say), I would not roll over 1 night into this year because my 61 was only 61 and not 59 because of the 2 rollover nights I had rolling from 2022 to 2023. Having not stayed 61 nights in 2023 but only 59, there is nothing to roll over.

I think Hilton could benefit very greatly from making this considerably clearer in their literature and on their website. A couple of simple worked examples would make it crystal clear.

In my situation, I remain Diamond until end of March 2024 of course, and I have over 600k points. So I may well choose to use those points wisely on stays in hotels where I can maximise the return (e.g. 5 nights for the price of 4 on a reward stay) and get good Diamond benefits (e.g. not in Hamptons!) But after that I'll nee to see whether it's worthwhile me continuing to remain loyal to Hilton in 2024. On one hand it'll be easier to earn rollover nights this year; on the other it will mean staying in hotels with only silver status which is hardly worth having in terms of benefits.

I'm very annoyed I didn't understand this better last year as I'd probably have found a way to make one more one night stay in 2023 to earn Gold at least.. but here we are! Hopefully this thread will help others.
Old Jan 13, 2024, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Slightly OT, but don't forget that you might be eligible for a one-year Diamond extension.

3 years of Diamond status and 250 lifetime nights needed... It should become possible to apply for in March.
This is indeed slightly OT but it's also very interesting! I didn't know about this - can you share more? I've definitely had more than 3 years of Diamond status but not 100% sure about the 250 nights, if I had to guess I'd say I might be borderline. But would be interested to know more if you have any more info please.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.