Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Garden Inn Bangkok Silom {THA}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2024, 7:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond; UA/*A

This hotel has arrived in the Hilton app as bookable from next month. As per other threads it was a Novotel. It's the first budget brand in Bangkok and the rates for February are around half the Conrad/Millennium/Sukhumvit Hilton properties, with the two doubletrees somewhere in the middle. The Hilton Grande Asoke is also booking for next month. Points stays are currently unavailable for both.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 5:15 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
We stayed here for three nights in February and I cannot imagine wanting to return.

We booked when the property was still a Novotel (Novotel Bangkok Silom [left Accor]). The hotel notified me of the rebranding and I decided to keep the reservation. It was inexpensive, at just over 9,000 THB for three nights in a suite with breakfast. That meant I wouldn't be losing many Accor ALL status points and -- despite only having HH Gold -- wouldn't miss out on an upgrade because the hotel doesn't have a higher room category than the one I'd booked.

Reception staff were less friendly and helpful than any we'd previously encountered in Thailand. My request to add my Hilton Honors number to the reservation was initially refused, on the basis that I wasn't entitled to points "because the reservation was booked through Accor".

Quiet insistence got my number added, but the colour of my (digital) card was studiously ignored and the folio showed me as "Blue". (Emails in advance of my stay weren't answered.)

Signs outside and in the lobby have been changed to Hilton Garden Inn, as have the stickers on guest telephones and the T-shirts worn by restaurant staff, but everything else screams "older Novotel". Blank sticky labels covered most of the "Novotel" references on the floor guides in the lifts.

Our room was very tired and worn.

Housekeeping and restaurant staff were friendly and efficient.

Buffet breakfast was acceptable, but choices were limited and nothing was special or especially good. We didn't go to the "Stone Bar" -- we might have done, but the advertising posters connecting the bar's name to the apparently thriving marijuana scene in the area -- "Stone(d)" -- were enough to put us off.

Getting my number into the reservation meant that the stay did at least post to my HH account, albeit with zero points. HH customer service corrected that fairly quickly.

According to their website the hotel will be "undergoing phased upgrades" throughout 2024. That's bound to improve the guest experience, but they'll need to do a lot before it feels like a real HGI.
flyoff likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 6:55 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors Diamond; A3 *Nothing ; BA Exec. Club Gold
Originally Posted by IMH
We stayed here for three nights in February and I cannot imagine wanting to return.

We booked when the property was still a Novotel (Novotel Bangkok Silom [left Accor]). The hotel notified me of the rebranding and I decided to keep the reservation. It was inexpensive, at just over 9,000 THB for three nights in a suite with breakfast. That meant I wouldn't be losing many Accor ALL status points and -- despite only having HH Gold -- wouldn't miss out on an upgrade because the hotel doesn't have a higher room category than the one I'd booked.

Reception staff were less friendly and helpful than any we'd previously encountered in Thailand. My request to add my Hilton Honors number to the reservation was initially refused, on the basis that I wasn't entitled to points "because the reservation was booked through Accor".

Quiet insistence got my number added, but the colour of my (digital) card was studiously ignored and the folio showed me as "Blue". (Emails in advance of my stay weren't answered.)

Signs outside and in the lobby have been changed to Hilton Garden Inn, as have the stickers on guest telephones and the T-shirts worn by restaurant staff, but everything else screams "older Novotel". Blank sticky labels covered most of the "Novotel" references on the floor guides in the lifts.

Our room was very tired and worn.

Housekeeping and restaurant staff were friendly and efficient.

Buffet breakfast was acceptable, but choices were limited and nothing was special or especially good. We didn't go to the "Stone Bar" -- we might have done, but the advertising posters connecting the bar's name to the apparently thriving marijuana scene in the area -- "Stone(d)" -- were enough to put us off.

Getting my number into the reservation meant that the stay did at least post to my HH account, albeit with zero points. HH customer service corrected that fairly quickly.

According to their website the hotel will be "undergoing phased upgrades" throughout 2024. That's bound to improve the guest experience, but they'll need to do a lot before it feels like a real HGI.
That sounds very uninspiring.. probably will change my mid March booking away from this property.

Globalist
Old Mar 5, 2024, 6:51 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
It's probably a good sign to stay away for now, but I would give them some time and possibly try later rather than assume they will be subpar forever.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 10:31 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Globalist
probably will change my mid March booking away from this property.
I would cancel any stays booked here for the next few months.
Originally Posted by escape4
.[...] possibly try later rather than assume they will be subpar forever.
I'm not assuming the hotel will remain poor for ever, but I'd want glowing reports before considering it again.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 4:09 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Diamond, Hilton Gold,
Thank you IMH for your comments. I had booked for April and had emailed to ask about the plans for refurbishment hoping work had commenced and some rooms may be refreshed. I received no response from my email. I think I will avoid until the hotel is improved.
IMH likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 10:16 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Diamond, Hilton Gold,
I ended up not cancelling my stay and thought it was worth feeding back what I found. The rate was cheap and I had lots to do in Bangkok and a late night flight on departure, so paying for an extra night which I wouldn’t use seemed ok.
i had stayed at the hotel when it opened as a Novotel in 2012. From the look of the hotel I didn’t think much renovation had been done since then. The corridors were bashed in places but the carpet in the hotel rooms looked as though it was a few years old and in decent condition.
i didn’t get a response from my emails to the hotel but found the name of a front desk staff member on tripadvisor who did respond.

The hotel has got a free car park on open ground next door. There is a security guard managing it and who removed a cone from a space so I could park.

As a Gold my room was upgraded before arrival on the App but when I checked in the front desk wanted to give me a lower floor room. I asked why they had changed the room and was told the air conditioning was better on lower floors. The room smelt musty so I phoned reception. They offered another room which smelt much better on a high floor. The room was dated but in reasonable condition and quieter than the lower floor due to reduced road noise.
Breakfast was free as part of my Gold status. A decent choice of food which was tasty. I have attached a couple of photos.
The pool is small. ok if you want to cool off but not a pleasant area to spend time relaxing. You have to phone for any drinks or food. The Gym looked small but decently equipped.
Would I stay again? If I wanted to be near the river end of Silom and planned to spend most of my time out of the hotel and was on a budget I would. There is work needed to refresh the hotel. The aircon smell needs sorting and one of the lifts had a mind of its own cancelling the floor selection when you were in the lift and heading to your floor. I was recently demoted to Gold and have mainly stayed at the Conrad and Millennium previously and enjoyed those hotels and the Exec Lounges.
The Cannabis shop at the entrance is odd but there was no smell. On the other side of the entrance there is a tailor who is extremely annoying trying to entice you into his shop every time you enter or exit the hotel.

Breakfast

Breakfast

Cannabis shop at the entrance of the hotel.
IMH likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.