Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton AMEX Card Redesign; Higher Annual Fee; New Benefits

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 19, 2023, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Aspire Benefits (T&C here)
Unchanged:
  • Annual free night certificate with cardmember anniversary. Separate thread here.
  • Additional free night certificate for $60k spent in a calendar year
  • Same spending bonus categories (14x @ Hilton; 7x @ US restaurants, airlines & car rental; 3x @ all other)
  • Diamond status
  • $100 statement credit benefit for some Waldorf/Conrad stays. Separate thread here
New:
  • Additional free night certificate for $30k spent in a calendar year. Effective now so 2023 spending can earn this FNC
  • $200 statement credit at Hilton Resorts in H1 and $200 in H2. Begins 1/1/24 for existing cardholders Resort credit discussion link
  • $50 statement credit every quarter when a ticket is purchased from any airline or AmexTravel.
    No airline selection required. Technically incidentals are ineligible, but it may depend on how they post. Travel agencies ineligible.
    New counter is already showing in Amex login
    Discussion in a separate thread.
  • CLEAR Plus $189 credit per calendar year
  • $800 Cell phone insurance with $50 deductible
  • National Car Executive status
  • New physical card design
  • Annual fee increased from $450 to $550. For existing cardholders, this is effective 2/1/2024
Ending benefits:
  • $250 annual airline incidentals end 12/31/2023
  • $250 credit at Hilton Resorts ends 12/31/2023 Resort credit discussion link
  • Priority pass membership enrollment ends 1/31/2024. Must enroll by phone. If you enrolled before 2/1/2023 membership continues through 1/31/2024. If enrolled after, membership continues through 10/31/2024
Surpass Benefits (T&C here)
Unchanged:
  • Annual free night certificate with $15,000 spend
  • Gold status
New:
  • Added 4x spend on US online retailers (all other categories unchanged -- 12x @ Hilton; 6x @ US restaurants, US supermarkets & US gas stations; 3x @ all other) (for the no-annual-fee card: 7x @ Hilton; 5x @ the three bonus categories; 3x @ all other)
  • $200 credit for Hilton purchases (broken down to $50 per quarter)
  • New physical card design
  • Annual fee increased from $95 to $150. For existing cardholders, this is effective 2/1/2024
  • National Car Rental Emerald Club Executive status
Ending benefits:
  • Priority pass membership enrollment ends 1/31/2024. Must enroll by phone. If you enrolled before 2/1/2023 membership continues through 1/31/2024. If enrolled after, membership continues through 10/31/2024
Hilton Business Card Benefits (T&C here)
Unchanged:
  • Gold status
  • Earn Diamond status at $40k spent
  • Earn 12x at Hilton
New:
  • Added $60 Hilton credit per quarter
  • Added National Executive status
  • Added metal card design
  • Non-Hilton spending earns 5x on the first $100k each calendar year, then 3x
  • Annual fee raised from $95 to $195
Ending:
  • FNC program ends 6/30/24. Must meet spending thresholds by that date.
  • Priority Pass ends 6/30/24. If enrolled before 6/30/23, your PP ends 7/1/24. If enrolled after, your PP ends 3/1/25
  • Old spending bonus categories end 6/30/24
Current offer expires 6/5/24:
  • New member bonus 175k on $8k spent in 6 months
Print Wikipost

Hilton AMEX Card Redesign; Higher Annual Fee; New Benefits

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2024, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by VacationTravel
MY TAKE: Similar to Surpass, but gift cards will probably not work. My guess is that AMEX will close up the gift card option on Surpass as well, at some point. It's the only substantive benefit on the Business card. The 5X on the first $100K appears okay, but you'd get 3X anyway, so not worth much. This card will have very little value for me. The Surpass is great for earning points and the FNC and statement credits are easier with gift cards. Have Aspire, Surpass, and Business. Business will definitely be gone. Surpass will be kept. Not sure about Aspire. Earned SUBs on all of them the past 7 months.
The number of people who do it are probably extremely minimal. The never closed the Amex Marriott Gift Card loop for the Brilliant
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by VacationTravel
Basic Hilton Honors American Express Business Card Members can receive up to a total of $60 in statement credits each calendar quarter (January through March, April through June, July through September, and October through December) for up to $240 back annually, for eligible purchases charged directly with a property within the Hilton portfolio on their Card Account, including bookings and incidental charges. For a booking to be eligible for a statement credit, the booking must be made directly through a reservation channel operated by Hilton. Bookings or purchases made through a third party other than Hilton, such as an online travel website, will not be eligible for statement credit(s). For incidental charges (including charges made at restaurants, spas, and other establishments within the hotel property) to be eligible for a statement credit, the incidental charge must be charged to your room and paid for with the Hilton Honors American Express Business Card at checkout.

Eligible purchases can be made by both the Basic and any Additional Card Members on the Card Account. However, the total amount of statement credits for eligible purchases will not exceed $240 per Card Account per calendar year. Please allow 8-12 weeks after the eligible purchase is charged to your Card Account for statement credit(s) to be posted to the Account. Please call American Express at the number on the back of your Card if statement credits have not posted after 12 weeks from the date of purchase. To receive this benefit, your Card account must not be cancelled or past due at the time of statement credit fulfillment. Statement credit(s) may not be received or may be reversed if the purchase is cancelled or modified, or if you engage in abuse or misuse in connection with the benefit.

American Express relies on the merchant’s processing of transactions to determine the transaction date. The transaction date may differ from the date you made the purchase if, for example, there is a delay in the merchant submitting the transaction to us or if the merchant uses another date as the transaction date. This means that in some cases your purchase may not earn the statement credit benefit for the benefit period in which you made the purchase. For example, if an eligible purchase is made on December 31st but the merchant processes the transaction such that it is identified to us as occurring on January 1st, the January statement credit would be applied. American Express also relies on information provided to us by the merchant to identify eligible purchases. If American Express does not receive information that identifies your transaction as eligible for this benefit, the Basic Card Member will not receive the statement credit. For example, your purchase will not be eligible if it is not made directly with Hilton (e.g., if a purchase is made at a restaurant or convenience store within a Hilton property). Basic Card Members may not receive the statement credit if we receive inaccurate information or are otherwise unable to identify your purchase as eligible, if a transaction is made with an electronic wallet or through a third party (such as an app store), or if the merchant uses a mobile or wireless card reader to process it.

MY TAKE: Similar to Surpass, but gift cards will probably not work. My guess is that AMEX will close up the gift card option on Surpass as well, at some point. It's the only substantive benefit on the Business card. The 5X on the first $100K appears okay, but you'd get 3X anyway, so not worth much. This card will have very little value for me. The Surpass is great for earning points and the FNC and statement credits are easier with gift cards. Have Aspire, Surpass, and Business. Business will definitely be gone. Surpass will be kept. Not sure about Aspire. Earned SUBs on all of them the past 7 months.
Surpass Terms:

Basic Hilton Honors American Express Surpass Card Members can receive up to a total of $50 in statement credits each calendar quarter (January through March, April through June, July through September, and October through December), for up to $200 back annually, for eligible purchases charged directly with a property within the Hilton portfolio on their Card Account, including bookings and incidental charges. For a booking to be eligible for a statement credit, the booking must be made directly through a reservation channel operated by Hilton. Bookings or purchases made through a third party other than Hilton, such as an online travel website, will not be eligible for statement credit(s). At certain hotels, if your booking is part of a contract for an event, the purchase may not be eligible for a statement credit. For an incidental charge (including charges made at restaurants, spas, and other establishments within the hotel property) to be eligible for a statement credit, the incidental charge must be charged to your room and paid for with your Hilton Honors American Express Surpass Card at checkout.

Eligible purchases can be made by both the Basic and any Additional Card Members on the Card Account. However, the total amount of statement credits for eligible purchases will not exceed $200 per Card Account per calendar year. Please allow 8-12 weeks after the eligible purchase is charged to your Card Account for statement credit(s) to be posted to the Account. Please call American Express at the number on the back of your Card if statement credits have not posted after 12 weeks from the date of purchase. To receive this benefit, your Card account must not be cancelled or past due at the time of statement credit fulfillment. Statement credit(s) may not be received or may be reversed if the purchase is cancelled or modified, or if you engage in abuse or misuse in connection with the benefit.

American Express relies on the merchant's processing of transactions to determine the transaction date. The transaction date may differ from the date you made the purchase if, for example, there is a delay in the merchant submitting the transaction to us or if the merchant uses another date as the transaction date. This means that in some cases your purchase may not earn the statement credit benefit for the benefit period in which you made the purchase. For example, if an eligible purchase is made on December 31st but the merchant processes the transaction such that it is identified to us as occurring on January 1st, the January statement credit would be applied. American Express also relies on information provided to us by the merchant to identify eligible purchases. If American Express does not receive information that identifies your transaction as eligible for this benefit, the Basic Card Member will not receive the statement credit. For example, your purchase will not be eligible if it is not made directly with Hilton (e.g., if a purchase is made at a restaurant or convenience store within a Hilton property). Basic Card Members may not receive the statement credit if we receive inaccurate information or are otherwise unable to identify your purchase as eligible, if a transaction is made with an electronic wallet or through a third party (such as an app store), or if the merchant uses a mobile or wireless card reader to process it.

Is there any part that isn't the same (except the dollar amounts, obviously) between the Surpass and the Business card terms? I don't see why you would think gift cards probably will not work. Whether it gets fixed in the future is another topic, but unless they did something specific in the crediting process for the Business card, the terms do not tell me the GC trick won't work. That being said, I've bought $50 GCs on my two Business cards, so the proof will be in the pudding.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by Zolor23
Surpass Terms:

Basic Hilton Honors American Express Surpass Card Members can receive up to a total of $50 in statement credits each calendar quarter (January through March, April through June, July through September, and October through December), for up to $200 back annually, for eligible purchases charged directly with a property within the Hilton portfolio on their Card Account, including bookings and incidental charges. For a booking to be eligible for a statement credit, the booking must be made directly through a reservation channel operated by Hilton. Bookings or purchases made through a third party other than Hilton, such as an online travel website, will not be eligible for statement credit(s). At certain hotels, if your booking is part of a contract for an event, the purchase may not be eligible for a statement credit. For an incidental charge (including charges made at restaurants, spas, and other establishments within the hotel property) to be eligible for a statement credit, the incidental charge must be charged to your room and paid for with your Hilton Honors American Express Surpass Card at checkout.

Eligible purchases can be made by both the Basic and any Additional Card Members on the Card Account. However, the total amount of statement credits for eligible purchases will not exceed $200 per Card Account per calendar year. Please allow 8-12 weeks after the eligible purchase is charged to your Card Account for statement credit(s) to be posted to the Account. Please call American Express at the number on the back of your Card if statement credits have not posted after 12 weeks from the date of purchase. To receive this benefit, your Card account must not be cancelled or past due at the time of statement credit fulfillment. Statement credit(s) may not be received or may be reversed if the purchase is cancelled or modified, or if you engage in abuse or misuse in connection with the benefit.

American Express relies on the merchant's processing of transactions to determine the transaction date. The transaction date may differ from the date you made the purchase if, for example, there is a delay in the merchant submitting the transaction to us or if the merchant uses another date as the transaction date. This means that in some cases your purchase may not earn the statement credit benefit for the benefit period in which you made the purchase. For example, if an eligible purchase is made on December 31st but the merchant processes the transaction such that it is identified to us as occurring on January 1st, the January statement credit would be applied. American Express also relies on information provided to us by the merchant to identify eligible purchases. If American Express does not receive information that identifies your transaction as eligible for this benefit, the Basic Card Member will not receive the statement credit. For example, your purchase will not be eligible if it is not made directly with Hilton (e.g., if a purchase is made at a restaurant or convenience store within a Hilton property). Basic Card Members may not receive the statement credit if we receive inaccurate information or are otherwise unable to identify your purchase as eligible, if a transaction is made with an electronic wallet or through a third party (such as an app store), or if the merchant uses a mobile or wireless card reader to process it.

Is there any part that isn't the same (except the dollar amounts, obviously) between the Surpass and the Business card terms? I don't see why you would think gift cards probably will not work. Whether it gets fixed in the future is another topic, but unless they did something specific in the crediting process for the Business card, the terms do not tell me the GC trick won't work. That being said, I've bought $50 GCs on my two Business cards, so the proof will be in the pudding.
Maybe I will buy a $50 gift card with my business card today and see what happens. Worst case is $50 I will use in two months.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 11:08 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
How long after you hit the threshold do you get the free night? I wanted to use it summer of 2025, so this may change my plan.

with standard award availability very limited close in, it’s hard to find a use for them this summer at a top hotel. I will wait to hit the threshold until close to 6/30.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by beachfan
How long after you hit the threshold do you get the free night? I wanted to use it summer of 2025, so this may change my plan.

with standard award availability very limited close in, it’s hard to find a use for them this summer at a top hotel. I will wait to hit the threshold until close to 6/30.
On my Surpass, for ‘24, it was about a few days after hitting the $15K. I have $6K spent as I needed to hit 3 or 4K for the SUB, but now, putting it in the sock drawer, other than quarterly stays of $50 gift cards and then the card will not be renewed.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 11:32 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Southwest A-List
I just cancelled mine. Fee posts in two weeks and I already have this years FNC. That's basically all I used it for. Opens up an Amex spot at least!
Old Mar 28, 2024, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by mloradites
I just cancelled mine. Fee posts in two weeks and I already have this years FNC. That's basically all I used it for. Opens up an Amex spot at least!
Maybe too late now, but why not grab a gift card in a week (assuming there are DPs that it works), then cancel after the AF posted?
Old Mar 28, 2024, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by Zolor23
Maybe too late now, but why not grab a gift card in a week (assuming there are DPs that it works), then cancel after the AF posted?
In theory, one this week and one next week, and then cancel
Old Mar 28, 2024, 12:25 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; UA Gold; Marriott Gold; Accor Gold;
Does the gift card route work? I have the aspire, no resort stay before June 30th. I do have a resort stay in July, I was thinking of 'prepaying' for food drinks to gain the credit for the first six months. I assume this is done on a hotel-by-hotel basis.

Thanks.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by tex1721
Does the gift card route work? I have the aspire, no resort stay before June 30th. I do have a resort stay in July, I was thinking of 'prepaying' for food drinks to gain the credit for the first six months. I assume this is done on a hotel-by-hotel basis.

Thanks.
Yes, you need to reach out to the hotel directly and see if they will precharge
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by Schnit
In theory, one this week and one next week, and then cancel
Yes, assuming the credit card holder is willing to take that risk.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 3:07 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Deposit for $50 Surpass credit

The Aspire thread has multiple posts about making a reservation at properties that charge a deposit on refundable/cancellable rates, such as many in Las Vegas and Palm Springs, to trigger a credit. Earlier today I made some reservations at a Vegas Hilton where the terms say a deposit of one night's full cost (rate plus taxes and fees) is required. How long does it take for the deposit to show as a pending charge on the credit card?

The confirmation email says "There is a credit card deposit required of 163.32 USD for this reservation, which has been charged to your card."
Old Mar 28, 2024, 6:28 pm

I just charged a Hilton GC $51.95 to the Amex Business for the new $240 annual credit. Lets see if the credit posts like the surpass!
flyer4512 likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 6:42 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Ali Taheri
I just charged a Hilton GC $51.95 to the Amex Business for the new $240 annual credit. Lets see if the credit posts like the surpass!
Do report back. I may shoot thru a GC order on it tomorrow too
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by anabolism
How long does it take for the deposit to show as a pending charge on the credit card?
Usually a day or two. I think the property deposits are a semi manual, batch process since they're done by the hotel and not the central reservations system.

Originally Posted by Ali Taheri
No reason to think it won't, IMO.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.