Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Newbie wants to do 8 night in London and Paris with Hilton Honors Aspire Card & 450k

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Newbie wants to do 8 night in London and Paris with Hilton Honors Aspire Card & 450k

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2023, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Freetotravel
...I don’t have anything specific to add except that you use an oyster card for London (tube and/or bus) there is a daily price cap which means that journeys above this threshold are free....
I love that cap system in London since you don't need to plan and decide whether to buy a pass in advance. Note that you don't need an Oyster Card - Contactless Credit Cards, including Apple Pay, etc. work too. I think there is some minor difference on an Oyster Card vs. Contactless/Phone but you don't have to buy a card.

Keep in mind, to qualify for the cap, you need to use the same device / card all day. That is, if you mix your Apple Pay with the same credit card for Contactless OR if you use 2 different phones with the same credit card, the system treats them as separate cards.

...and of course be careful with the security situation in Paris.
ccerts likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 5:03 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Which security situation in Paris ?
Old Feb 21, 2023, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: SW, MR, CHASE
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
In my defense, rep said it was fine for the third kid to sleep on the rollaway. Just cant book it that way online. I admittedly said quietly and not really sure why.
Oh geez. Do you dare book the 2 person room and sneak our teen in? With the hopes you get a rollaway bed or upgraded room (with Hilton Diamond Status)? This would be amazing if it worked but sounds dangerous/illegal. Or if I book this over the phone and be honest about the situation?
Old Feb 21, 2023, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by ccerts
Oh geez. Do you dare book the 2 person room and sneak our teen in? With the hopes you get a rollaway bed or upgraded room (with Hilton Diamond Status)? This would be amazing if it worked but sounds dangerous/illegal. Or if I book this over the phone and be honest about the situation?
No do not try to sneak her in; almost certainly a tragic mistake that could ruin the whole trip. Be honest and up front for sure and make sure you get a room that will work for 3.
squeakr and ccerts like this.

Last edited by yakel; Feb 21, 2023 at 9:13 am Reason: More information
Old Feb 21, 2023, 9:44 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Honors benefit second guest stays free. Is that still a thing? A few years ago, there was a discussion similar to this and the conclusion was to reserve a room for two and state in the notes that a third person would be in the room. (Of course, the room would need to have a capacity of three or above.)

And off-topic for this thread...
Originally Posted by username
[...] I think there is some minor difference on an Oyster Card vs. Contactless/Phone but you don't have to buy a card.
[...]
Can a senior discount be applied to a non-Oyster Card payment method? If I recall correctly, the one time I was in London after becoming eligible (old), I had a Senior RailCard (or something similarly named) linked to an Oyster Card so I would be charged senior fares.
ccerts likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 9:54 am

[QUOTE=serpens;35029180]I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Honors benefit second guest stays free. Is that still a thing? A few years ago, there was a discussion similar to this and the conclusion was to reserve a room for two and state in the notes that a third person would be in the room. (Of course, the room would need to have a capacity of three or above.)

Trying to find ways to not pay for a third person is fine, but that is not the issue here IMHO. The issue is getting a room that has the proper capacity for three. If you reserve for 2 and state in the notes that there will be a third person, and nobody realizes this or even reads the notes, they may show up and be given a room where enough beds won't fit. And then if the hotel does not have another room that will work, they may be stuck. To me in all my years living and traveling in Europe, this type of situation is playing with fire and I would never ever take the risk on a family vacation (once-in-a-lifetime or not).
ccerts likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 10:35 am

Europe is definitely different than most of the US in terms of a 3rd person. In Europe the general rule is the capacity of the room must be 3 to have 3 people stay.
This is not limited to London, Paris or just the big cities but even in the country sides in almost every European country and with a 16 year old ; trying to sneak them in or get lucky is a terrible option.

Of course there are exceptions.
Those 2 queen rooms you might find in the US never exist in Europe. They often have "triple" rooms which is a queen bed and a separate single bed in the room though not too common among Hilton brand or any of the chains.

Your biggest problem is most of the hotels have "standard rooms" and "premium rooms". Standard rooms the point rate is normal. Premium rooms in most cases the point rate is a rip off, not just in the cities and not just in the summer / high season months.
Most of the time the standard room is a capacity of 2.
I do wish this forum had a list of hotels within a brand that have a capacity of 3 for a standard room as a bookable option as they do exist. I have not found such a list and not just for Hilton but have said the same of Hyatt and the rest as well.
Absent that, you have to do some research to figure it all out.

Is not a terrible idea to book a room for 2 on points that is 100% cancellable and message the property about a 3rd person via a roll-away or similar say your trip plans have changed and you will now be bringing your child but only want 1 room. So what they can offer; expect to have to pay something in most cases since a 16 year will be considered an adult not a child in most all cases. If there is no option cancel that booking and keep looking. I think you would have better success in them working something out if you already have a booking but have zero first hand experience with trying to do so.

Lastly which not sure anyone has brought up:
You have a large number of points ; I personally would assign a value to them. I would not book on points if the value of the cash booking does not meet the value of the points.
Can I stay elsewhere (non-Hilton) for a better property at a cash rate that is also a good amount lower than the value of those points?

Maybe it is better to book a 2024 trip with those points at a "better redemption value" resort that has capacity of 3 for standard rooms and pay with cash for this stay in Paris and London or for part of this trip? In both cities location is very important so would want to be in the heart of the cities and rather have choice of hotels rather than be limited to a chain's offerings.
Hilton is in my opinion does not have a good European selection.

Even outside of Hilton ; expect finding a room for 3 to be challenging or budget stretching. If other hotels do not have triple rooms they may require you to book a Suite in order to meet a capacity of 3
yakel likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 11:34 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by mreynolds767
Those 2 queen rooms you might find in the US never exist in Europe. They often have "triple" rooms which is a queen bed and a separate single bed in the room though not too common among Hilton brand or any of the chains.
The West Wing of the Metropole - referenced upthread - has a lot of larger bedrooms with 2 queen or king beds in them. It's London's second largest hotel so we're talking hundreds of rooms in that wing. I agree it's not that common, but you will find rooms like this in Europe.
ccerts and Lefly like this.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 11:42 am

The other hard lesson learned by the OP and something I consider the least talked about aspect of these Points programs is availability.
Many of the points websites and blogs do not bring this up often, making it sound like all you need is the number of points and you most of the time can book a standard room for those points ; the reality is in order to use Hotel points with success you often need to have some flexibility in your dates.

When you have the airfare locked in and need hotel rooms on exact dates, that availability for a standard booking may never come and while stay 5 nights only pay 4 works it only works if the hotels frees up a standard room for 5 consecutive nights.
Many that play the hotel game, find the hotel they want first, go with the available dates and then work out the flights.

Of course the same can be said of Airfare points, as they often are available for a standard redemption one day and not the next for the same flight.
ccerts likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by mreynolds767
The other hard lesson learned by the OP and something I consider the least talked about aspect of these Points programs is availability.
Many of the points websites and blogs do not bring this up often, making it sound like all you need is the number of points and you most of the time can book a standard room for those points ; the reality is in order to use Hotel points with success you often need to have some flexibility in your dates.

When you have the airfare locked in and need hotel rooms on exact dates, that availability for a standard booking may never come and while stay 5 nights only pay 4 works it only works if the hotels frees up a standard room for 5 consecutive nights.
Many that play the hotel game, find the hotel they want first, go with the available dates and then work out the flights.

Of course the same can be said of Airfare points, as they often are available for a standard redemption one day and not the next for the same flight.
Totally agree; if using points for both I usually go for the hotel rooms first, and then the flights.
ccerts likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 1:00 pm

Programs: DL Gold, HHDiamond, IHG Plat Regular Joe Everywhere Else
I was in London & Paris with my daughter's 8th grade class on an educational tour in June. Our hotels in both cities were near the airports (outskirts) and we were bussed in and out of the cities daily. The average commute was an hour each way. We used the tube and the metro and did a ton of walking in the cities which was absolutely amazing!!! The commute in and out made the long days even longer so take that into consideration if it matters to you.

I have the Hilton Aspire AMEX and there are no foreign transaction fees added to your charges. There were a few places that did not accept AMEX so make sure you have some euros/pounds with you or another CC.

Have a wonderful trip OP!!
ccerts likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The West Wing of the Metropole - referenced upthread - has a lot of larger bedrooms with 2 queen or king beds in them. It's London's second largest hotel so we're talking hundreds of rooms in that wing. I agree it's not that common, but you will find rooms like this in Europe.
Yes, you are correct ; I guess very large hotels do have these type of rooms but what I am seeing is these rooms with 2 queens at the Metropole are considered Premium Rooms.
Looking at anything over the summer months, I don't see an option for 3 guests in 1 room at this hotel for less than 159,000 per night as a Premium reward and most nights even more than that.
I would not spend that amount in points for staying in that room and don't think the OP has the points budget to do that either.

A standard room for 2 is available for 60,000 points a much better value and odds of getting an upgrade if a diamond are probably good but .... that is risky
Old Feb 21, 2023, 5:22 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Originally Posted by steveholt
Others may disagree, but: if you're going on a big trip to London and Paris, I wouldn't make the executive lounge a priority. Is it nice to have a free drink at night? I suppose. On vacation, do you really want to prioritize spending more time in the hotel when you can be out exploring those cities, both of which have excellent food + bars?

I wouldn't stay by CDG just to use Hilton points. You're much better off actually going to get a room in Paris, even if it means paying cash for that room + using all of your hotel points in London.
30 euros at the grocery store buys a lots of Perrier, coke, lemons and snacks that youll see in the lounge. Id look for a vrbo or rental in Paris and give yourself a chance to spread out.

London May be more doable on points - I like the Kensington Hilton and its usually a good value in cash or using points.

I went down to the Conrad exec Lounge to get a Coke this evening and it was so full of business people talking loudly and snarfing small canaps, I left quickly because it wasnt relaxing but YMMV.
ccerts likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fransknorge
Which security situation in Paris ?
https://www.osac.gov/Country/France/...1-1d024a34e599
ccerts likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 4:09 am

Is this different than any other time in France? This would never ever keep me from going to France. I find French cities far far safer than most any big American city on any day of the year IMHO.
francophile, ccerts, MissJ and 1 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.