Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Taking Items from Lounges?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2022, 10:34 am

Programs: whatever it takes
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
You must have missed the "NO OUTSIDE FOOD OR BEVERAGE OR CONTAINERS ALLOWED INSIDE" sign on the door
Do you always follow directions?

Sometimes it's good to follow rules, sometimes not. We call that experience, don't we?

DYKWIA? I'm a [redacted per FT Rules] Diamond! I am the best. Bow before me. I'm not a one trick pony. I also have GOLD, EMERALDs, and PLATINUM bars. Thin bars.

Last edited by cblaisd; Jul 21, 2022 at 11:33 am Reason: https://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules#offensive
Old Jul 21, 2022, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by EqualOpp
Do you always follow directions?

Sometimes it's good to follow rules, sometimes not. We call that experience, don't we?

DYKWIA? I'm a [redacted per FT Rules] Diamond! I am the best. Bow before me. I'm not a one trick pony. I also have GOLD, EMERALDs, and PLATINUM bars. Thin bars.
Keeping this lounge related, do you bring all of your tricks to the Executive Lounge (as we now know you've got more than one)?

Last edited by cblaisd; Jul 21, 2022 at 11:34 am Reason: Corrected quote of previous post following redaction
Old Jul 21, 2022, 11:24 am

Wow...I don't find myself at very many properties with lounges, but I don't recall ever being in a lounge where taking a bottle of water or two is unacceptable. The last hotel with a lounge I stayed at was a Hilton in May - not only did they strongly encourage me to go help myself to as much coffee/tea/water/snacks in the lounge but they also offered me water every time I walked by the front desk.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 9:26 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Originally Posted by southlondonphil
If I were going to be as petty as the lounge agent I’d probably have stood right by the lounge exit and slowly drank the entire bottle in front of her, smacked my lips in an exaggerated fashion, handed her the empty, said “Thank You” (always be polite) and sauntered away
And people wonder why no one wants to work in hospitality. It's pretty clear the lounge has no concern for half-empty bottle of water. The policy is for people to not load up on snacks and drinks. It is supposed to be a place to lounge, not to stock up on whatever you need. It also isn't decided by how hot the day is.

It also wouldn't surprise me that "one bottle of water" was a few snacks and bottles of water.
JJeffrey, TTL and rt23456p like this.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 12:59 pm

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Slightly OT for the HH forum but this discussion reminds me of a time I was in the lounge in Sheraton WAW. I saw a guy come in during the middle of the day wearing his dressing gown, he proceeded to raid the fridge and take 12 bottles of mineral water back to his room. In fact, this gentleman and his partner distinguished themselves during my stay by visiting the lounge wearing only their dressing gowns every single time I saw them - including for happy hour when they sat down for food and drinks wearing said garments
rt23456p likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 5:12 am

Maybe they didn't realise you were a guest and had just wandered in from the street?
Old Jul 26, 2022, 7:02 am

Programs: AA,BNV,HIL
My humble opinion is that the less humble of us ruin it for the rest of us. Those who place towels on the pool lounges at 7 am for whenever or if they decide to use them, bring all their friends who are staying in cheaper rooms to the lounge to graze and take multiple amounts of, oh, anything that's free instead of a respectable one or two.
EuropeanPete and rt23456p like this.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 7:48 am
formerly rt23456p

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Well the last few years, I’ve arrived at the hotel in a wheelchair. We have stayed hundreds of nights at the property since they opened 8 years ago.

We certainly ask for anything out of the norm. The evening lounge has an age limit of 12, which my daughter is under by a couple of years. She looks about 13, but we don’t try and stretch the truth. Times that my wife is out, I’ve had my daughter help me in the lounge, without any problem.

I’ve found that most properties are pretty helpful in Asia. We haven’t done any stays in Europe for 4-5 years. Service levels in the US and Asia are very different.
Just curious, why they will have an age limit on lounges in the evening? Lounges in China nowadays are full with full families during HH, and therefore children playing tag.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 7:53 am
formerly rt23456p

Originally Posted by Schnit
Since COVID started I no longer take my kids to free breakfast buffets at hotels. I bring our kids wagon down, explain to the person working that there are 6 of us and fill up with enough food for everyone. This obviously is a lot of stuff and no one has ever questioned me.

I imagine if you took the same approach at a lounge they would not have an issue
Before COVID, I even attempted to ask Renaissance Beijing to keep enough HH for me as we are in a traffic jam, and to my surprise, they did... Obviously, I gave them a 10/10 and wrote on the review of the lounge attendant that did this.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 10:51 am

And really what the hell was she going to do with a bottle you had already opened and corroded with your amoebas? I say it's ridiculous. Lounge attendants have discretion and should be able to distinguish between a guest taking a much needed bottle of water, already opened and drunk, and a guest taking a full plate of food out of the lounge.

As pointed out already, the attendant clearly decided which rules he/she was going to enforce.

I'd go straight to management and then TripAdvisor if I didn't get any satisfaction.

See *guy with glass of wine in elevator* for what that would have cost them if they said that to me.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by rt23456p
Just curious, why they will have an age limit on lounges in the evening? Lounges in China nowadays are full with full families during HH, and therefore children playing tag.
I’d guess it’s because some kids are rambunctious and disturb the peace of the lounge. Not at the lounge I’ve referenced, but at a Grand Hyatt in Jakarta, for many years kids tended by their nannies were out of control. Running up and down the length of the lounge, again and again.

I certainly don’t mind well behaved kids.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 11:11 am

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond; UA/*A
One wonders if the freely accessed soft drink fridge in ELs is abused when there isn’t an attendant. In both Birmingham and Gatwick I have noticed more than one member of the same group open the fridge, empty half a shelf to fill their bag and leave the EL.
I stayed at the DT Glasgow recently which is unattended during the day and honestly how they stop this sort of behavior is unclear.

Perhaps the “guests” think they got a good deal and boasted to their friends about it.

Of course in the OP’s example there was an attendant but maybe there have been recent incidents at the Conrad London as well?

In Asian ELs, often none of the drinks are in a fridge and all of them including soda have to be provided by an attendant.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 11:40 am
formerly rt23456p

Originally Posted by Freetotravel
One wonders if the freely accessed soft drink fridge in ELs is abused when there isn’t an attendant. In both Birmingham and Gatwick I have noticed more than one member of the same group open the fridge, empty half a shelf to fill their bag and leave the EL.
I stayed at the DT Glasgow recently which is unattended during the day and honestly how they stop this sort of behavior is unclear.

Perhaps the “guests” think they got a good deal and boasted to their friends about it.

Of course in the OP’s example there was an attendant but maybe there have been recent incidents at the Conrad London as well?

In Asian ELs, often none of the drinks are in a fridge and all of them including soda have to be provided by an attendant.
Only the expensive ones are, for example, the perrier in Beijing Capital Renaissance, but all the rest are in small fridges under the table. I have previously seen an image of 6 choices of water stored in a fridge in Nanning Renaissance back in 2019(Badoit,Evian,VOSS,Perrier etc.)
Old Jul 26, 2022, 11:41 am
formerly rt23456p

I have previously toke a few cans of Star Wars Pepsi from Beijing Capital Renaissance because they are quite unique back then, and the attendant have no issue about that.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 11:44 am
formerly rt23456p

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I’d guess it’s because some kids are rambunctious and disturb the peace of the lounge.
Some small children are well behaved, while some older ones(even 10+) are not, limited by age I don't think is a very effective method of controlling the atmosphere in the lounge. Also, I heard some lounges have under-18 ban during HH?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.