Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Taking Items from Lounges?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2022, 9:57 pm

Programs: Alaska, AA, Marriott
Look them in the eye, put the lid back on and put it back in the fridge. See what they have to say then.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 11:47 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
I feel like in covid times, it’s appreciated if I can bring something back to my room if they don’t have an open air terrace area.
outgoing and rt23456p like this.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 3:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Allan38103
Any idea what would have happened if you had the courtesy of asking? Like, “Is it OK if I take this open bottle with me?”
I didn't really think it was necessary to ask before taking it. For one, she wasn't even near the door but must have watched what I was doing because she came from behind as I was opening the door. I didn't think taking a partial bottle of water was that big of a deal, so I certainly wasn't going to look for a lounge agent before taking it. Once she told me I couldn't have it, I certainly wasn't going to be petty enough to argue over it.
IndyHoosier, lgormley and rt23456p like this.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 3:43 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
I feel that once you've opened something meant for personal use, and started consuming it in the lounge, it's fair game to take the rest of the bottle / bag away.

Just in case someone wants to willfully misinterpret me, no, I don't think it's ok to stand by the fridge, open 5 bottles and take a sip from each one then walk out of the lounge with all of them.

If they are giving out the same bottles for free at the front desk I would definitely make a complaint. I don't know if this hotel has the notices you often see saying "we need to save the earth (i.e. save money) by reusing towels and not changing bed linen every day", but I would add that throwing away water just because they don't want you to take a half-consumed bottle away is not environmentally friendly either (although bottled water is also not great in the first place).

If I wanted to be petty I would go back and forth between the lounge and my room, and open a new bottle every time but only drink one mouthful.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 3:45 am

Programs: BA Gold, TP Gold, VS Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
If I were going to be as petty as the lounge agent I’d probably have stood right by the lounge exit and slowly drank the entire bottle in front of her, smacked my lips in an exaggerated fashion, handed her the empty, said “Thank You” (always be polite) and sauntered away
Old Jul 20, 2022, 4:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by southlondonphil
If I were going to be as petty as the lounge agent I’d probably have stood right by the lounge exit and slowly drank the entire bottle in front of her, smacked my lips in an exaggerated fashion, handed her the empty, said “Thank You” (always be polite) and sauntered away
So I sort of did this later on. I came back twice throughout the evening. The first time to drink 1 bottle + 1 sip of another bottle and left the empty bottles on 2 tables on opposite sides of the lounge.

The second time I grabbed an entire bottle, walked near the exit (where she was standing this time) drank the entire bottle very quickly and set it near the door and told her to have a nice night.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 4:28 am

Programs: BRK-B
Food: not ok.
Packaged snacks: ok.
Glass of wine: not ok.
Water: ok.
JBa, Chang11, becks1 and 3 others like this.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 5:49 am

Maybe, just maybe, her manager had told her to enforce that rule so it was make you mad over a bottle of water or risk the wrath of her manager if you were seen leaving with a bottle. Perhaps she should have prefaced her remark by saying something like I know it sounds crazy but I can get into trouble if I let guests take things from the lounge. Maybe it is her misinterpreting the rules

Leaving empty bottles across the lounge in revenge? Threatening to take sips from many bottles? You need to grow up.

I'm sure you could take an empty bottle out and fill it somewhere.

Last edited by zerosideslip; Jul 20, 2022 at 6:47 am
Old Jul 20, 2022, 6:36 am

So what was the lounge dragon going to do with the open bottle of water that you drank out of? Put it back on the counter for others. Idiotic move. If it's a one serving bottle and someone is actively drinking it it's not "stealing" and it's "waste" to leave it in the lounge like that. LOL!

I suggest pointing this stupidity out to management and telling them that you will be glad to come in every hour and have a few sips of water out of a new bottle since they won't let you take it with you
Old Jul 20, 2022, 7:10 am

Just to give her the benefit of the doubt...could you have been holding the bottle in a way that it looked new and full to her? Its possible since you say she came from behind, the she didnt see you drink it, just saw you leaving with what she assumed was a full bottle.

The front desk giving out bottles for free doesnt change the lounge policy. If someone wants a free bottle to go they can get from the lobby. I wouldnt expect the lounge to change their policy.

If however the woman knew you actively drank the bottle, you should have been able to take it. Anything you started thats individually packaged should be fair game. In COVID times I would think food would be more relaxed (not alocohol).
rt23456p likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I would have raised hell. Very bad behavior on their part. I’ve been to many Hilton lounges, and taking a bottle of water, soft drink, open or not, has always been fine. I have a lot of mobility problems the last few years, and will often ask my wife to bring some food items back, after asking the lounge personel. Rarely a problem.
rt23456p likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 8:06 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
This thread is a reminder of why people hate working in hospitality/ American tourists to Europe (delete as appropriate).
TTL and Super Mario like this.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I would have raised hell. Very bad behavior on their part. I’ve been to many Hilton lounges, and taking a bottle of water, soft drink, open or not, has always been fine. I have a lot of mobility problems the last few years, and will often ask my wife to bring some food items back, after asking the lounge personel. Rarely a problem.
In general, asking will get you much further than just doing.

At check in I would probably ask the front desk if its a problem due to mobility issues (they can see and confirm it). Then when your spouse goes to the lounge, if its questioned, you can just say XXXX at the FD confirmed it wont be a problem.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 8:07 am

Programs: United Premier 1K , Marriot Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
I fly United and I have never been stopped for grabbing bags of snacks from the lounge. The hotel lounges are a little different with signs asking that you not take items out but everyone does. Complaining about a bottle of water is pretty petty.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 9:09 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
I just checked out of a Double Tree with a lounge. When the front desk was explaining the offerings and hours they said my key gets me in when the lounge is not attended and of course, I could take soda or water with me any time I wanted. When I left the lounge that evening the attendant reminded me I can take soda or water to the room.

I have never had anybody tell me that I could not take water from any lounge. Sadly the Conrad London is the worst on service of any of the 20 or so I have stayed in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.