Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Diamond: What's reasonable to expect?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2022, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA1K, 1MM,AA Exec. Platinum, Global Entry, Nexus

Hi, I am new to this forum. I have recently achieved Hilton Diamond status. Going to Chicago early next month. Want to check out the Waldorf Chicago. As I understand it, due to my status, I can ask for an upgrade to a suite. Is there a certain expectation? Is an upgrade automatic for Diamond status? When booking room categories, is there a strategy? For example, I stay at Four Seasons often, I book the category below the one I hope to get upgraded to. I"d appreciate all insights and suggestions. Thank you in advance, Tom
Old Jul 15, 2022, 10:09 am

You should be notified via the app a few days before you check in about what upgrades are available for you. Y
Old Jul 15, 2022, 10:27 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; AerClub Silver, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by tomj888
Hi, I am new to this forum. I have recently achieved Hilton Diamond status. Going to Chicago early next month. Want to check out the Waldorf Chicago. As I understand it, due to my status, I can ask for an upgrade to a suite. Is there a certain expectation? Is an upgrade automatic for Diamond status? When booking room categories, is there a strategy? For example, I stay at Four Seasons often, I book the category below the one I hope to get upgraded to. I"d appreciate all insights and suggestions. Thank you in advance, Tom
I believe you need to lower expectation particularly when traveling within the US. Diamond status gave and is giving me excellent perks in properties across Asia and Europe: upgrades (95% of stays, you receive an email three days before your check in date), occasionally a suite upgrade and always full breakfast.
In the US, I suspect due to the large number of diamond members, the situation is very different: you get daily credit instead of full breakfast and rarely an upgrade. I never had a suite upgrade in any US hotel.
Upgrades should be automatic, subject to availability, at least one category up, but in many properties that means just a higher floor. You can still ask when checking in, should they have something better to offer.
In general, upgrades are dictated by season and location.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

You will get a $25 F&B credit per person ( up to 2 people in 1 room). I would ask at check in how this is applied at the waldorf as it is applied inconsistently across hotels in the US ( also I would make sure it is applied when checking the bill at check out)

Regards

TBS
JTXC likes this.

Last edited by The _Banking_Scot; Jul 15, 2022 at 1:33 pm
Old Jul 15, 2022, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
I suppose it's better to be a Diamond than not at US Hiltons. But better by far is to be a Diamond at a Hilton well away from the US.

I'm think the root problem is the ease of acquiring the status, particularly through credit card affiliation. The result is your hotel is likely to be hosting a large number of Diamonds when you stay: room upgrades are generally imperceptible, and the other benefits are unlikely to impress. Like I said, certainly better than nothing, and you will get a credit to buy some sort of breakfast…. and you'll get the points
Old Jul 15, 2022, 11:25 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Double points. Be pleasantly surprised by anything else
Old Jul 15, 2022, 11:32 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat
In ~12 years of being Diamond, I’ve never been upgraded to a suite. Good luck.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Thank you for your feedback and experiences. It seems like having status is a thing of the past. Airline status means very little. Hotel status means the same. The only area where status seems to have any value for me is at Hertz. I've been treated in accordance with my status. I guess, I'll try to give the Waldorf a reason to upgrade me. I won't hold my breath. Ironically, I"m treated the best at Four Seasons, using Virtuoso for bookings. Free breakfasts and I"ve been upgraded 5/7 trips so far this year. And they have no loyalty program. So in essence money talks, bs and status walks.LOL
MP001 likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 11:50 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Thank you for your feedback and experiences. It seems like having status is a thing of the past. Airline status means very little.
If you define/value status solely based on upgrades maybe (although, OT, I do quite well on airline upgrades). But upgrades are only one part, and in my opinion a very inconsequential one, of hotel status.

It's a continual source of amusement to me how much attention upgrades get on boards like this. Literally not a consideration in my evaluation of hotel programs. YMMV.
SPN Lifer and hhdl like this.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

Well upgrades are a start. the entire "experience" has many moving parts: The actual location. Quality of the rooms. Quality of the staff and service offered. Those variables or static items are out of my control. Asking for an upgrade is within my control. While I cannot guarantee it myself, I can ask for it. My purpose was to understand how Hilton works with their upgrades from people on this forum. Knowledge is power, so the more I can learn, the more I can leverage that info into my experience.
bemis likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
A diamond upgrade to a suite is possible at WA Chicago (I’ve been upgraded to a suite a couple of times there) but I’ve had more stays there when I haven’t been. You should review the thread:
Waldorf Astoria Chicago {US-IL}
Old Jul 15, 2022, 1:56 pm

They'll be able to accommodate your giraffe and former American Idol.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 3:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Well upgrades are a start. the entire "experience" has many moving parts: The actual location. Quality of the rooms. Quality of the staff and service offered. Those variables or static items are out of my control. Asking for an upgrade is within my control. While I cannot guarantee it myself, I can ask for it. My purpose was to understand how Hilton works with their upgrades from people on this forum. Knowledge is power, so the more I can learn, the more I can leverage that info into my experience.
See, I think I can "control" for the quality of my experience by selecting the hotel based on reviews, location, and what I know about included services more than by asking for or expecting an upgrade. Most of the time an upgrade is just more empty space I won't use. I also wouldn't say the quality of the hotel is part of the elite status.

Hotel elite status features the matter to me far more than upgrades are:
  • Included internet and breakfast (I'm far more bothered by the travesty that is Hilton's domestic meal credit benefit than I am by anything else about the Honors program)
  • Executive Lounges - a meaningful thing outside the US
  • Access to swimming pools / fitness centers at hotels where those are charged services (common in Asia for instance)
  • Bonus points for redemptions (love staying at Hamptons and Homewoods and then redeeming for Conrads)
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, BonVoy Gold, BW Diamond, RR Premium
The manager of this hotel is a gem. If you have a problem, he will try to make it right. That said, upgrades will depend on how busy they are. Amex Fine Hotels and Resorts are much more likely to get upgrades, but I was offered one on a lower floor due to the room I pre-selected not being available, and I am only a Gold. ASK, don't expect. Ask on the app and again at the front desk. And ask nicely, not in an entitled way. If it's a shorter stay or weeknights, it's going to be more likely. You will get the F&B credit. It's definitely applied. Even without a suite, rooms are large and nice. Not brand new, but nothing at which to scoff.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 5:24 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
While we occasionally get upgraded to a suite, I usually book the room I want (view, balcony, quiet are important) but when we are upgraded to a suite, sometimes it's nice, and sometimes as someone else said just too much space, takes forever to go through to make sure we haven't forgotten anything

To me the best part of being Diamond, especially with a promotion going on, and having the Aspire card, is the HUUUGE amount of points you rack up on every trip. Building for future free stays.
cblaisd and SPN Lifer like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.